Follow
Read More
You can also buy extender handles that have a loop for the hand on the end. We have those on our recliners.
(1)

For those who are recliner lever impaired if you lengthen it with a length of pipe slipped over the end it makes it easier to operate. Not pretty but it does the job
(0)

JessieBelle, ah ha you are right.... that is so weird, certain font sizes the "Money & Legal" disappears.
(1)

Freq Flier - also check your 'page' toggle (should be at the upper left) to make sure the zoom didn't change.
(0)

SusanA - re the chair 'fit'....sometimes I wonder if our elders just say they're comfortable to make us feel better. I know the feeling seeing someone sitting in a chair with two pillows behind their back telling you they're comfortable.

I hate to say this but all I can picture is someone sitting in one of those lift chairs and being propelled across the room. My mother would have ended up on the floor :) She has never been able to even sit in a recliner even when she was younger. For some reason, she never could operate the lever. It drove my father crazy.

Anyway, hope your mom and you are happy with the new chair!
(0)

Microsoft has come out with Windows Ten?

Seriously?

Freq Flyer - I'm late to the party here, but ONLINE SHOPPING....ONLINE SHOPPING. Sears online will have all the old stuff your mom remembers. And they'll have the colors, etc.

Socks: My mom needed socks without elastics (when she was doing well). I bought Buster Brown Cotton Socks, no elastics, at Amazon. I know...Amazon...anyway, there they were.

Now her legs are so swollen from sitting in that darn wheelchair I don't think anything will get them back to where they were before she fell. I know they're not knee socks, but just in case anyone needs non elasticized socks, they're pretty good.

Pants: Don't even start me on that one. I bought some petit 'slacks' for my mom at Walmart of all places and I thought, yay, I've got her fall shopping done. Picked out the dark brown, beige, and green colors. Got them home and they were too long! Yet they said Petit! I'm seeing that one person said these can run anywhere from 27 inches to 30 inches...gees, wish I had known that.

Why the cheap pants: Because of the mess I knew was going to go on them.

The 'flu' has hit the rehab center. The main dining room, plus the tropical music has been cancelled along with God Forbid BINGO. My mother was really angry at me today when I visited and told me so much. When I told her it was because of the 'flu' she said, Well, nobody told me....her girlfriend (yes, she has a friend) told her that yes, they had...didn't you hear?" And that turned into another topic of discussion. Meanwhile, I'm trying to get info from the RN there and having the same old argument of "Well, I have to get permission from Administration" to which I told her, Well, no, you don't. It should be right there in that huge tome you've created with permission. Then one of the people piped up, Well, it's not. To which I asked, Did you look? Then I got the social worker who came down and literally found it herself.

So much for today. Just because they're in rehab/SNL means it gets better at home, but when you're visiting, the stress comes back and at some point you just have to leave it all in the facility.

Windows Ten?
(2)

Freqflyer, check your font size. When you make the words bigger, it forces the Money & Legal off the side of the page. Maybe that is what is happening.
(1)

It came out today that Windows 10 will be free to everyone upgrading from Win 7 or later. Windows is falling by the wayside in this mobile age. MS wants to encourage people to stick with Windows on their computers and phones by offering the software for free. It is enhanced for use with mobile devices.
(0)

the web is flaking out 7 pages out of ten . i think microsoft wants everyone to run out and buy windows 10 . 9 was sure a piece of dung . cost me 15 yrs of personal and business photos .
(0)

Mine is, FF? Has it fallen off the right hand edge on your page, maybe?
(0)

I just noticed up on the blue bar near the top of the page that the *Money & Legal* is no longer there :(
(0)

kidding up till now but when i was caregiving for my dying mother it wasnt so funny . i was isolated and knee deep in crazy . after crack - y let me down another woman i met online who was going to help me with mom in exchange for automobile repair . after repairing the car she demanded 12 bucks an hour for help with mom . even 12 bucks is fair enough but this idiot couldnt even slow down her motormouth enough for normal people to comprehend her , she had no experience with the elderly . it doesnt make me upset with women , only upset with myself for counting on such losers . my closest female friend wouldnt even take my mom for a sandwich and some girl companionship . shes a joke / history lesson . heather isnt a bad worker but has a lifelong habit of taking from men without any sense of fair trade . i wont put up with it . in my world youre only as good as your word . thats why i only do business by email -- ill send your words back to you .
(2)

n - YAR
(0)

Get yourself some ear rings to match and you"ll be all set. Thought you were going to kneecap him with the old blunderbus.
(0)

i repaired her car 3 times - respite 0 . employees and family employees always try to climb on top of your head . occasionally you have to remind them who works for whom . i like the painted nails , think ill get myself something outlandish and use it in the future.
(0)

i finally done it . i stopped at nh an it was nail salon day . the girls had a ball painting my nails ' german hor on coupon day ' blue , but edna hauled outta the room like the gospel noise polluters were playing or something . we all had a good laugh . when i caught up with edna a few minutes later she was trying to get used to the idea . she said " well , everybody else is doing it " . poor girl . 91 yrs on this planet and come to find out she HASNT seen everything . lol
i just wanted to make her laugh but ill settle for giving her something to tell her great great grandkids about .
i took crack - y home after work yesterday and after dropping her by multiple places to take care of business , on the last stop she came out carrying a 13 inch tv set . when she tried to put the antiquated sob in the back of the truck her young daughter asked her if she should ask for my help . crack - y said she shouldnt HAVE to ask . i dont do sarcasm or shaming into submission well . instead of picking her up from work today i left her with instructions to call someone who gives a fk . i had a ct scan at the va today . went to the trouble to arrange some work for crack - y but it seems that aint enough . evidently i owe her something in addition to good wages .
this is the old hospice aid who i repaired her car twice in trade for some respite time with mom but both times i asked she was too busy to accomodate me . if your going to screw over a guy dont screw over a guy with royal blue fingernails . that cat aint very manageable and he holds a grudge where fair trading is concerned .
(1)

Thank you !!!! It is so exciting!!! I have missed her so much...That sounds strange I know because she has been here...but for soooo long she has pretty much just been non responsive...she occasionally would smile a bit but for the most part just looked so far away....I was almost speechless when she first started talking...but I know God answered my prayer and I am going to enjoy every second!! :)
(1)

Hope22, I am so happy to hear this!! It is always great to hear good news!! Thanks for sharing, and enjoy this day!!!
(1)

Blessings to you Hope for these precious moments.
(1)

Katie, I LOVE that Vermont Country Store website...they have the greatest items and a lot of things from way back when ...their products are really top quality too. Thanks for reminding me about them, I had almost forgotten, and this morning I went on there and found some stuff I really want to order . :)
(0)

I am so excited to share that Mama is alert and talking and laughing today....!!!!! I cannot contain myself. I have not gotten to hear that laugh in so long...and she is really perky and happy...she has been laughing at my jokes again, is talking about her cats, and just looks so much better and relaxed!!!! I am so thankful to God for this miracle...This morning I was saying my prayers and just wanted so much to be able to hear her voice and laugh with her again...it felt like it had just been so long and I feared I would never be able to do that again...I have been given a miracle...again....thank you God for this miracle!!!!
(4)

Bless you too Katie for taking care of Mom I assume she does not have dementia as she can enjoy a good catalog. Does she have a laptop. She could get into all kinds of mischief with that to keep her occupied. Doesn't matter if she is not computer savvy once she gets used to it and finds there is nothing she can do with the key board to break it she will probably have a blast.
(0)

I have actually found some products that were on the market 20-30 years ago in the Vermont Country Store Catalog, anything from candy brands to toiletry products etc. Mom loves looking at the catalog too, which helps her from being bored as she is bedridden.
I am so tired....It is hard waking up in the middle of the night from strange dreams to realize I am living an even stranger one. Maybe in time I will get used to all this as my Mom has been bedridden in our home now for just 3 months. Finding this site and realizing that I am not alone has helped me cope.One day at a time. Bless all of You for what you do.
(1)

Lourdes, is her depression being treated?
(0)

Lourdes, is it one of your in-laws? I don't think I'd be able to tolerate this. I'd put her on the plane with the husband. :)
(0)

Frequent flyer, the Loft outlets carry lightweight cardigans with button down fronts in all colors and sizes. That where i get my MIL's csweaters all the time $ it's an outlet, peicw is right and you can go in store or on line!
(1)

She's 97. Healthy, no physical limitations. I have MS. She makes me repeat everything 3 or 4 times, not because She can't hear, but because of "my heavy spanish accent" Seriously, Spanish people don't realize i speak spanish. She's British, lonely, bitter and angry she's still breathing. My husband travels a lot. But she feels i am her 24 hour companion to entertain her. I am used to having my space. She's been with us 8 years. She rude, demanding, curt, and has No problem giving me a peace of her mind in public. My BIGGEST pet peeve. ....then 5 minutes later she wants me to sit and watch tv with her for 3 hours. Dealing with her my stress level increased to the point where i had a mild heart attack in 2011. I feel my stress reaching that level. I have told her I'm sorry she's so miserable, she says she sorry she's miserable too. She feels she should have stayed in England. I reminded her yesterday, misery loves company, and that's not a ride I'm going on.
Told you there's not enough room. I have tp leave thw house to get space....she doesn't think my bedroom should be ofd limits to her....wants to know what I'm hiding. Reasoning doesn't work. She doesn't care. Bottom line. Wow... sorry.....
(1)

Lourdes, I see you're caring for someone with hearing loss. I have a feeling that your list would fill cyberspace. It can be daunting.
(0)

I seriously don't think there's enough space....
(0)

Yip. It's definitely SPS. aka, Short Person Syndrome.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter