Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Today he decided to try and eat something. so he is going to make a bake potato. Has a potato in his hand and ask me don't we have any potatoes? I said you have a potato in your hand. He said O I do? I"M scared
(0)

He was told last week he has low blood platelets and should see a hematologist. Said no they just stick you!!!
(0)

When I read everything you guys write it makes me fell guilty for complaining. I don't have it near as bad as you do. I'm not changing diapers and he can still shower, But he does things that scares me to dearth, I came home yesterday and he said I cleaned the pool, but all most fell in!!! Why I'm off work tomorrow would have did it??? he said well I did it! I know he wants to fell like he is doing something but. If he fell in he could not get out he can barely walk!!! now I keep thinking of him floating in pool!!! so I make sure its clean ever day!!! going to be hard next week as I go to work at 7.30 .
(0)

Jeanette's post led me to look for the commercial but what I found was a lot of good little booklets that are also available via pdf and/or kindle.

nia.nih.gov/alzheimers/publication/assessing-cognitive-impairment-older-adults

As usual, replace the DOT with the real thing. And preface it with the usual
(0)

No, this is a brand new one. I finally got it. Like I said it's done sneakily in two parts. Like two different conversations, so near the end, when it's sooner than you thought (died) sooner than you think (cure discovered) ... GRRR
I watched a documentary on this disease earlier today.... seems like there is more studies going on over seas than here. Perhaps they'll get very serious when they realize this is the NEXT big cure they need to find.

No, nothing pretty here lately, unless you like being up all night helping your mother poop. If I wasn't so tired I wouldn't mind it so much, it makes her feel so much better... but d*mn, I don't have much to chat about at 5:00 A.M. aside from "push it out mom".
(1)

Oh, and BTW, while the sentiments are there, and often times you find a tear in your eye while watching these things, the reality is it's d*mned hard to do this and it's not pretty!
(0)

Jeanette - is that the one where the woman's husband finds her keys in the frig and tells her 'Don't worry, I'll be here"?

Aging Care has a preview of a song someone came out with to raise money for Alz.

I'm hoping that at some point there is a way to at least stop this in those who are younger. My MIL started when she was fifty. I cared for her, too. I was the one who didn't work, I stayed home and did nothing because I had three small children and her 'children', my ex's brother and sisters worked.

Yeah. And that was before anyone knew what Alzheimer's was. 1981. There were I think three books on the subject and no internet.
(1)

OMG!! I am so pissed right now... probably more my fault since I replayed that d*mn commercial 10 times to make sure I heard what I heard, but now MOM wants her cure. They're tricky with how they stated things but you cannot mistake "we cure" s***.
(1)

Where are you at Lil'pup?
(0)

If you can find this commercial ( I've watched it 87 times now) they are speaking in two parts, but... the biggest statement is "They Cure AD".
(0)

I'm watching many weather forecasts actually telling people to disregard diBlasio's school openings and keep their children home from school. What's hard is when companies don't close their doors and tell workers to stay home. People have no place for their children. I could never understand the reasoning behind that. So what if a business is closed? The only losses I see are those on paper. The world will still be there when the streets are cleared and it's safe to drive. And the business will recoup their losses. You can never recoup a life lost while trying to get to work. And it would make it so much easier for those with the job of cleaning the streets.

Two days ago, we experienced high winds and I'm afraid that is what is heading towards the Northeast.

Hopefully, everyone is hunkered down and safe. I'm praying the power doesn't go out for all of you.
(0)

BIG GIANT WHINE! While watching the SAG Awards, mainly to see Debbie Reynolds receive her lifetime achievement award.... on came this AD Commercial by the AzheimersAssociation.org.

It starts with little things, tiny changes in the brain little things, anyone can do it steals your memory, independence

Ensure support, a breakthrough and sooner than you'd like, sooner than you think you die from Alzheimer's Disease

We cure Alzheimer's Disease.

every little click call or donations helps

WHAT DID I JUST HEAR?
(2)

Litldogtoo, recently I had to enlarge the font on this website... I use a regular computer keyboard, thus I press "Ctrl" on the keyboard while rolling the wheel on my Mouse... bingo, quickly the font will go large or go small depending on which way you are rolling the Mouse wheel.
(0)

I have often written those same sentiments. We need a preview button and an edit button....but on second thought, I love the fact this website is here so when we're down, we can come vent and talk with others who are in our situation.

I hate to whine about this, but even the boxes are too small to be able to see what I've written. Plus I type too fast, that's why my posts are soooooo long.

But, I love you, Aging Care People Whoever You Are :)

Sorry everyone :(
(2)

How I wish we could go back and *edit* our own postings on this website. I've been so out of it lately that when I go back to re-read what I had posted earlier, I find way too many misplaced words and mixed-up grammar :(
(2)

Just found out that Walmart will no longer be carrying PPIs in their formulary. Just agreed to take Protonix (against my better judgement as usual) so now at the end of my free month I will go back to the Famotidine
(0)

JessieBelle, make up session? LOL. No way I can compete with pro-football... never could.... right now the All-Pro football game is about to start so that means it will be on until midnight.... [sigh]
(1)

Hey Cap! Funny you mentioned beets... I did buy some today to add to her juice. She does like beets but she took her teeth out again and... they don't gum so well ya know? Also, her favorite staple these days are pb n j's... neither one of us are sweet eaters but I did get her a pumpkin pie today, at least it has fiber and hopefully better than a cookie!
(0)

jeanette, can you get your mom to eat beets ? supposedly they will slick up the digestive tract and get ones bowels moving . personally i love em and plan to grow a garden full of them this summer . i love em cold right out of the jars and spiced up with onion and jalapeno peppers .
i need to bake some rolls tonight . i figure a roll with peanut butter and preserves will give me a good boost in the mornings before work .
(1)

Katie I feel your pain. Every year we go away for our anniversary not this year have to stay with dad. The other kids "can't" more like wont. I had a young girl I work with offer to but if things go astray I'm concerned with the lasting effect it would have on her. Will be next year just have to hold onto that.

I'm beyond frustrated that no family is willing to help just one night having them give us a night off would be nice.
(1)

Thanks Katie! Mom's out like a light so I took the opportunity to dash to walgreens and grabbed some benefiber to add to the softener. She's just not getting the fiber like she used to. She can no longer chew like she used to so I've been trying to implement with other stuff. When a person gets so backed up their appetite dwindles but they do get thirstier it seems? On the plus side, we both should get a great night of sleep since last night was a complete wash!!

Book, I know schools are beginning to close in Connecticut. I have several teacher friends whom live there and they've already got the word to stay home. Hopefully, as the day passes NY will do the same.

ff, I know all situations are different and challenging in their own ways and most of us do love our parents but I know, if they were my parent's, some serious changes would be made, d*mn my inheritance.
(2)

ff, it sounds like a Xanax kind of day. Sometimes I wish I had a few setting around here. Some days everything gets the best of me. The good thing I've learned is that tomorrow is always better. Thank goodness for the tomorrows. Hope you and SO can have a good make-up evening. Your dad sounds like quite a character. I bet I would like him.
(1)

bookluvr, whenever the weather starts to get bad that is when I get all hyper because my parents are still in their own home, literally down the street from me... if their power goes out, so will mine. I can deal with the cold, they can't. If only they were in that retirement village which I bet has backup power for storms like this. Then I wouldn't be worrying about Dad [93] wanting to go out to shovel the driveway, he does it case he needs to get their car out of the garage in an emergency.... "and go where, Dad?" "Dad, if there is an emergency the EMT's have shovels to get you or Mom out." Definite helmet moment !!
(2)

Had a major blow out with sig other, I was mentally exhausted... trying to maintain two separate households is more than I can take at times.... double the grocery shopping, even if it is on-line it can take just as long as being in the store, and unloading groceries twice.... 3x the doctor/dentist appointments.... 3x everything else.... double the shopping at places like Target, again 2 long separate lists. Dealing with my parents trying to get info for the Elder Law attorney, I just finished up my Will/Trust, whew that was a major workout, now I feel like I am in instant replay with theirs.

When I was younger I was pretty sharp... I could go grocery shopping without a list as I could remember everything I needed. I didn't need a calendar to remember my doctor appointments or any other appointment. And I wasn't so tired. Now at my age everyone expects me to remember TWICE to THREE times the stuff... can't do it anymore :P

Sig other said he helps... yeah by playing taxi... but he doesn't always go into the doctor offices exam rooms with my parents, he's not dealing with the emotions and frustrations going on there because Mom can barely hear, barely see, and Dad's not paying attention... and me trying to remember who takes what medicine and why x2. I've giving up trying to remember what meds sig other takes... my brain doesn't have room for that :P
(3)

I'm watching the US news. I hope for all of you living in NYC to the East coast - please start preparing for the blizzard coming. Lots of non perishable food, stored drinking water and non portable water. Flashlights and radios with spare batteries. Get out all the winter blankets, comforters because when the power goes out, the winter cold seeps in.

What I don't understand is that the NYC mayor keeps emphasizing to stay off the road tomorrow. Then, towards the end, he finally says - schools are still open tomorrow. ???? Adults are important, please stay home. Children are not important, you still have school tomorrow. .... huh???
(3)

Jeanette, Have you tried a little bit of powdered Benefiber in some juice or her shakes? It has no flavor so can be added to drinks without changing the flavor or making them too gritty, and you can adjust the amount you put in.
My Mom has the opposite problem because of side effects from radiation therapy 13 yrs. ago but the process is pretty continual all day, so I have to feed her sticky white rice to stop too much diarrhea. The warm cup of water is a good remedy too if constipation is a problem...sometimes 2 cups....
(1)

I'd whine about mom's constipation and up all night trying to go but (no pun intended) it hurt her worse than me. She's forgetting how to push and not going like she used to. Poor baby just birthed a small whale and is now sound asleep. She does take a stool softener in the evenings but with her appetite not like it used to be the shakes seem to be making it worse? .... I'm going to start adding more berries, spinach and kale to her shakes and see if that helps. Oh, she drinks plenty of water and in the mornings I do try and have her drink a very warm cup of water ... which was my grandmother's remedy for constipation. I felt so bad for her, she kept trying to get up and I'd say no, sit there and GO to the bathroom in which she said she's trying to go but I won't let her get up to GO... get it? I'd say go, she'd try and walk/go to the bathroom... talk about needing a helmet moment.
(2)

wait, meant moms leak alerts...
(0)

I feel like I am very old (51) and only viable enough to take proper care of my mother (79) and too old to care for me.

When did we get so tired that our own life and happiness no longer mattered? Never mind. I am tired and buggy so pay me no attention. Mom has been pacing since last night. All meds given on schedule. This is one of those times when she cannot/will not shut down.

Leak alert? LOL!!! Simply add a pad to the depends, usually fixes my leak alerts :)))
(5)

My way of getting things done is to state the problem, ask for help. If I get the impression I'm getting excuses, or put off. I call a professial, and it's my dime. Even if the other person disagrees. I get it done. It would be so much better if it were otherwise.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter