Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Bob... is there no way you can spring Edna for just a small moment of happiness? Not just for her but you also? I worry... I already mentioned my grandmother's name was Edna. Strongest woman I have ever in my life been privileged to know.

Please give Aunt Edna a big strong hug and kiss from me and my mother. Edna is a strong name in our life and we'd like to wish her a happy journey ... d*mn. Sorry buddy....
(2)

theres a solution for that now pam . some innovative sob has devised a paper dispenser that is just a vertical shaft sitting 4 inches off the wall . the guy might toss the empty cardboard roll at the cat but when he gets a new roll in his hands its a no brainer to drop it onto the vertical shaft .
many men dont play that ' hard way jones ' s*it . we'll invent something that eliminates the redundancy .
im one step worse tho . id wipe my a** with the cat and eliminate that paper search crap altogether -- but im just a little ahead of my time . others will catch on .
(0)

aunt edna always considered homemaking to be her " job " and she was awesome at it and i love her for it . when i visit and care for her , her little chin is about an inch higher in the air than it probably oughtta be . shes got her a sawdust covered " man " and the confidence it gives her makes everyone whos paying any attention smile .
she took care of her parents and her man until all three died in her arms . she deserves to be coddled and comforted now .
(2)

Captain, How many men does it take to change a roll of toilet paper?

Answer: None. It will never happen.
(5)

all joking aside , there is a great article on the daily mail tonight about how overachieving females are trying to shame women who would otherwise be quite fulfilled to take care of a home and family just to further their own sexist and hateful agenda's . women have not fared well in this transition to career and self sufficiency . they often ( always ) carry an unequal workload and it isnt necessarily because the husbands are slackers . caring for a home and family is a fulltime and necessary job and its a pity that young women now feel the position makes them a second class citizen . its just not true . in frontier days the women were the backbone of the homestead and the men , crops , livestock ,and kids would have died without them . this stupid s*it has gone full circle and many western women are now realizing that theyve been exploited into the workforce and been ( tax ) penalized for doing so .
to the energetic and educated female achievers -- by all means achieve , but dont try to shame women who dont adhere to your ideals .
(0)

hope, we are on the same page as I posted the same observation as you did. It was about siblings and their non helping ways.
(1)

I collect light bulb jokes. I'm saving your version for a very old friend who will go teeheehee over it for a fortnight. [he should be so lucky]

Will this phase pass with Edna? Hope so, and hope it's quick. I think fear can be just as bad as pain, especially when you can't understand what it's about.

Well caught on the compressor.
(0)

dont anyone pull a muslim / charlie hebdow scenario on me . i laugh at myself , i laugh at others and you can make all the sexist jokes in the world about men and its a guarantee ill laugh with you . we all just take ourselves too seriously imo ..
humor has to have a victim . life would really suck if we arent allowed to screw with each other .
(0)

countrymouse,
you could switch the males and females in that joke and id still think it was funny . you know im not sexist but i love an off color joke .
saw my aunt just now . d*mmnt she anxious , agitated and wishes she knew why . im up front with her when she asks the right questions . i tell her that her memory and nerves are going to be a problem because her brain isnt healthy . she held my hand for a while , doc gave her the evening sedative and she got her kiss goodbye for the night . shes still fortunate at 91 and late dementia to be able to chuckle at small things and have rather incredible good sense about her . my mother fared much worse with the added complication of bipolar . ( as did the primary carer ) .
sure love my aunt . ill hold her hand to the last step of her lifes journey if i can .
saved myself 400 bucks today . i thought my old air compressor had shat the bed but it had mud dauber blockage in the air intake port .
(0)

I saw something and now can't remember which question it was but it was someone who was relatively new and they got blown away for what they were asking...I meant to respond but now to be honest I don't think I did because I got sidetracked and now I don't even remember the question. I am sad when someone who is particularly new to our site and has a bad initial reception...And again, most everyone on there was kind an understanding but someone pounced on her and I also seem to remember it was someone else who was pretty new to the site....Lord this stuff hurts enough without being pummeled for making a comment or asking a question that someone didn't particularly like...
(1)

Finally had to resort to headphones and LOUD music tonight. Love my mom to death, but the constant bodily noises from 6' away are driving me nuts today. Hearing her sucking food out of her teeth after dinner was the last straw for me today. Probably just me, but I have to do something to block it out or I'll end up snapping at her. Lord, my kingdom for an office in the house where I could close the door....but that kind of defeats the purpose of me even being here, I guess. (sigh) These are the days I catch myself thinking, "I can't wait to be ALONE"...but then I realize what I'm wishing for - and those thoughts stop. I know when I *am* finally alone, I'll be wishing for her to be back.

Tonight's playlist is an eclectic mix of 70's love songs, 80's hair metal, 70's tv show themes (Welcome Back Kotter!), 80's love ballads, classic country (Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Faron Young), classical pieces (Symphonie Fantastique) and movie soundtracks. I love my Amazon Cloud Player - free music with my Prime membership. Yes, it does have benefits other than cheaper prices on Mom's pads! LOL

Learned once again today exactly why I have to follow her to every single bathroom visit, other than when I'm asleep and can't. I got busy with my work and kind of missed the fact that she had gone into the bathroom. Let me tell you, for a large woman with mobility problems, she moves lightning fast in the bathroom if she knows I'm coming in there to monitor her progress and to make sure she gets everything done properly (incontinence pad changed, undies changed if wet, new clothes, bottom wiped, etc). She can be in there less than a minute and I'll go in there and find her sitting on the toilet with all her clothes on, and she's already used the toilet - and with a smirk on her face, like - "Ha! I beat you!". It's almost comical. Almost. Then the argument ensues. Me: Did you change your pad? Mom: Yes. Me: Are you sure? Mom: YES. Me: Is there a wrapper in the trash? Mom: (digs through the trash) YES. Silly me, I didn't make her check to see if she had a pad on - she didn't. So one more wet pair of undies and pants later....I'm kicking myself for not checking.
(0)

pamzimmrrt, I sent you a private message with a website that might be helpful, it deals with senior living here in the D.C. metro area [Maryland & Virginia].
(1)

There was a post on here, in the questions section, just a few days ago. Poor girl had the same gripe as most of us do, yet she got trounced for it. I should have replied but didn't.

Why do WE have to ask for the obvious?

Even if I did start asking they wouldn't be so obliging... perhaps I will start a "study" on "asking for help from a sibling" and document it here.

hope, this is a BAD time of year for viruses... it goes from very warm and dry to very cold, wet and humid, which all breeds those nasty viruses. Save your respite for a nicer day (if you can).
(2)

Hope...your brother has a life and you need to get back there?! Sounds like my brothers. Infuriating!!!
(1)

My whine.. I have been trying to get some info on local MC units in our area.. on line.. There is one near us that would work, but I was after some options as Dad is getting to be a handful some days, and Mom is getting unable to deal with some of it and Hubs is worried Dad will get violent. I accedently got on one of those "home for Mom" type sites.. thank goodness I gave a fake phone number (sorry if it is someones...LOL) 15 emails later, and no info... Just lots of emails to call them, etc. I know they are commision sites, I've been there before. What was I thinking?? Someone slap me now! SO.. what is the best way to get some real info? I have been asking friends. We don;t need assisited liveing,, it would be MC for Dad only.
(2)

Amen to that dee...the last time I was away from here overnight was April 2012. I was at my little home on the pond, sitting on my patio enjoying a relaxing morning and thinking how nice it was to just have a little time to myself...He called and started asking me if I was on the road... WHAT??? No, I'm sitting here drinking coffee....we chatted briefly then he called back soon after and informed me "I have a life and I have a wife and you're going to need to get back here...(SIL) called and needs me to come and start the grill....OMG....I began to get continuous texts, texts, texts, I finally just got on with my getting ready and back I went..so much for some relaxing time away...I never have been able to go again...if we can get past these bugs and viruses I am going to take advantage of a respite period and THEN I will do a few things for me. right now the hospice nurse even told me that there are a lot of viruses running wild at the NH facilities, even rehabs, so I can't do it just now..but hopefully soon... :(
(1)

I'm with you, Hope! Why DO we have to ASK siblings for help with OUR mom???!!!! I call and ask "can you stay with Mom for a few hours" so I can take my son out for his birthday and I get lambasted! I ask maybe 6 or 7 times A YEAR for a few hours. Freaking ridiculous! They'd soil their drawers if I told them I couldn't do it anymore. They'd run for the hills and leave me to deal with it just like they always have. I have a sister 10 years younger, but she has MS and can't help with mom. She lives 45 minutes away and has 4 kids, one in elementary school. One of the dozens of times the previous caregiver called off she drove all that way without telling me she wasn't feeling well, so I didn't have to miss work again. But my brothers that live 4 blocks away and 15 minutes away didn't even bother to return my call. Really, really, really ticks me off. This is OUR mom! They act like they're doing ME a favor if they deign to assist me with anything. In all fairness, they have helped me with some things I needed done at my own house, and I'm grateful to them. I need more help with mom, though! I'm trying hard to remember that I can't change people but I can control how I respond and I'm trying hard not to internalize it anymore and let it consume me. Not worth it. Who knows what goes through their minds? I don't even care anymore. I'm just going to find peace for me and that's all I can do.
(2)

Captain the correct answer to the feminist light bulb joke is: "One. And it's not funny."
(4)

And why my brother would bend over backward to side with a cousin who is little more than a lying, using, trouble making jerk and yet leave me to fend for myself is hurtful to me as well.
(0)

CM and Jeanette...isn't it amazing that most of us could copy and paste that and send it to our siblings and it would fit perfectly! Unbelievable..and Jeanette..you are 100% correct...why in the heck should we have to ASK for help with OUR Moms...

I have done something just a short time ago that I rarely do, but I am getting older now and heck, I'm tired so I am going to stop getting put in the middle...I'd love some feedback if anyone wants to voice it...First of all, I hate a trouble maker more than anything on the face of the earth....hate it....all of my life I seem to find myself in situations where someone will NEED to tell me something, but will tell me that old song and dance...now don't tell them I said that...and analyzing what was said, you know it would just hurt someone if that person knew it so you just try to bite your tongue and not go spreading stuff around...I still maintain that is best particularly if the person will derive no benefit from knowing it and will only be hurt by it....

BUT....I think I have mentioned, my cousin had an accident and as her car was an older model, the impact caused enough damage to sufficiceintly total the car. Now this same cousin has also had a "small stroke"...but her neurologist has told her she is cleared to drive...this is the oldest cousin still living and she has always done and done for that side of the family and none of them has ever done anything in return to help her..unless they charge her a pretty penny for it...she has always been made the butt of jokes and been sniped about behind her back and it has been sad to me to see it going on . A lot of it she even knew they did but she just kept on going. Fast forward 20 years and now she is trying to find an older model, yet safe care with a modest payment that will get her around town for her errands...drives probably 30 miles a week at most....never goes out of town...anyway, my brother is an expert in the car industry and could build one from the ground up, so he's an excellent source to confirm whether a used vehicle is a good deal. I know enough to do ok at it, but he's a lot better to say the least...anyway, he is very concerned about her driving and he had told my cousin he would look for her after she asked me, then told me that he didn't think she needed to drive period...(why didn't he tell HER that when she asked him??) well, I now find out that one of my least favorite people (also a cousin) on the face of the earth called my brother behind my cousins back and told my brother she just did not think my cousin needed to be driving...somehow, not unsurprisingly, she convinced him and he is no longer looking for a car now. My cousin was getting angrier and angrier that my brother had not found her a car and after feeling almost sick about all of it I just called her today and told her the point blank truth...that our cousin had called him and told him she did not think this cousin needed to drive anymore and he agreed with her.....

Sadly, it broke my cousins heart...And of course she cried..and of course she is mad, but all of my life when I have been told things like this and did not tell someone the truth it always comes out later on anyway and then the person about whom the info was shared finds out I knew it and I am the one who gets thrown under the bus...so I told the truth. I felt like she had the right to know why none of these people are looking any longer..I also told my brother I told it. I didn't do this on a whim and thought it through and finally asked myself would I want to know and I would have definitely wanted to know....I am still looking for a good reliable car for her...and I hope I did the right thing....but she is the ONLY one who has been here for me..how can I not help her???
(1)

Sally, there tragically a lot of us that can relate to what you're dealing with concerning your siblings. Hang in there and keep doing what it takes to keep your loved one happy and comfortable. -
The last time my mother was in the hospital they didn't visit her either, just kept blowing up my phone, which I didn't bother to answer. They are within 20 minutes of us and if they were that concerned they'd just stop over. I call my brothers "Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb". One cannot function without the other. Weirdest thing I ever saw for two grown men ( 57 and 60) They try and blame me saying I never ask them for help, which is not true BUT on the other hand, I should not have to ask them to visit their mother. Months go by and na'er a peep from them. I stopped feeling resentment and anger towards them long ago. Heck, I think they're both so far gone in dysfunction that I feel rather sorry for them.

Mom had another restless night... she's sleeping comfortable now so I think I shall just let her rest until her carer get's here at 1:00 p.m. This way I can get a few things done without following her around making sure she doesn't hurt herself.

hope, thinks for reminding me it's garbage day!! lately I don't know one day from the other, they just blend together...

have a great day!
(3)

Sally77, I would love it if you would cut and paste your "whine" into an email and send it, as is, to your siblings. It's straight from the heart. They need to know.
(2)

You know, the funny thing is, the very last time we were in the hospital, I have to admit I had just about had it...I was on the verge of having my home foreclosed on and while by the grace of God that didn't happen, a developer was able to find out exactly what I owed on it and so while the mortgage and lien against it was paid off..I lost every single bit of my equity plus I had to PAY $600 some odd dollars on the closing cost because I had such a crappy realtor....my brother, who has two lakefront homes, one of which used to be mine also...(another sad long story) has a huge income, as does his wife, AND his MIL lives with them and she has two incomes from her deceased husbands retirement and her SS. Soooo, they live it up, do whatever they want and have not contributed one dime to help with any of Mama's medical expenses or even basic living expenses...No one is the wiser because they put on such a good face when people are around and everyone thinks he is just the finest thing since sliced bread. I have a couple of aunts who finally know the truth (because I finally clued them in) and also a former neighbor who saw us growing up and knew how spoiled rotten he was and is knows all about his tight hiney....but I digress...anywhoooo, I had been at that hospital almost a week this last time, they could not get Mama's warfarin adjusted to where it needed to be, my home was under seige and one night the nurse came in to check on Mama and I was just about as low as I have ever been.....we were just talking about different things and all of a sudden I just flat out told her I did not think I could take much more and I started crying...she was very nice...I knew I had to get a grip on myself, and did, but she told me she was so sorry, that at least I had a wonderful family who was here to help me out....I filled her in real fast, not that it was any of her business, but I finally got so stinking tired of everybody bowing down and throwing gold leaves in his path as he walked by. It has been that way all my life with him...we have had a few throw downs over the course of the past three years....he never knew I had a temper until those happened...He doesn't mess with me anymore because I will win in a showdown, but it's sad it has to come to that...but he ought to be ashamed..his wife, whom I have not seen in over two years now should SURELY be ashamed..Sadly neither is and do not even see that they are out of line...Sorry for the long winded diatribe, the story I repeat is one of many that are all just alike on here and the characters are just different...three stooges..yes I like that a lot!!
(0)

I know it's not funny, but Sally I couldn't help getting a chuckle out of the three stooges reference...exactly right!!! hahahahahaha
(0)

Hang in there, Sally! Hugs to you!
(1)

Thank you so much Dee and Hope for your kind words and support. Hope, that sounds exactly like my life. I run here and there and everywhere for my mom. If I didn't love her like I do, I could never do this. I am done expecting a thing from any of the "three stooges". I will be here for my mom until the bitter end and that' it!!! I will be back!!! Love and Hugs!!! xoxox
(3)

Oh Sally....I so understand, and I'm pretty sure most everyone on here does because for some reason, that seems to be a recurring theme with caregiving. Like you, I have always been the one to care for my Mama and her alzheimers is now very advanced, but even before it was I was always there with her in the hospital because I felt like she needed me there..and did....but not one bit of help from the brother or sis in law..and like you, we were a very close loving family, so it is hard to believe this is my family. I have to say that the last few months my brother seems to be trying a little harder, but still is a no show when there is going to be any length of time involved...and I have a very vivid memory of one of Mama's last hospital stays when I was having to run back and forth to feed her cat, check the house, get rehab set up for her, in short, do it all....my sister in law called to tell me she was on her way to the lake to lie in the sun....did not offer to help, did not ask if we needed help...just told me she was going...and this was before Mama fell down her stairs and I was still living 2 1/2 horus away and was in the middle of starting a new job and they were literally trying to hold it for me til I could get there....had I not had a friend in that company I know they would have just let me go and chosen someone else...selfish, inconsiderate, no shows...a recurring theme for most of us. We feel for you...you can always vent here...it does help to get it out of your system...and there are really no words to make us feel better except to know we're kind of in it together....((HUGS))
(2)

Sally, I know exactly how you feel. Every time my mom's been in the hospital I'm the only one there. Everyone lives within 20 minutes of the hospital, but you think they'd put their own life on hold for a few minutes to brighten her day and show her they care? No. And help me take care of her at home? Not in 6-1/2 years. Call her at home to say Hi? No. I'm done with asking for help. It just frustrates me when the only one answering my calls or texts or emails are the crickets.
(0)

Sorry to hear about your difficult time. Please try and find SOMEONE to get you some help. Try and forget about the "twisted" ones, it only hurts you. Glad you joined this group. We are all rooting for you!
(1)

groovin on some old pics this am . i know somewhere i have a pic of edna on a trip to az with myself , mom and bluntman . bluntman bought himself a real colorful glass bong and edna couldnt keep her hands off of it . she wasnt sure what it was but it was so pretty she kept picking it up every chance she got . ive done found one of her smiling and reaching for it but i know theres one somewhere of her hugging it fondly to her chest . she was 75 ish at the time .
d*mmit to h*ll . the world just aint producing more of the kind of loving homekeeper and pioneer women like her anymore .
be a good a time as any to tell my beloved / horrible joke tho .
ya know how many femenists it takes to screw in a light bulb ?
two .
one to turn the light bulb and one to - um - ---- me . lol
knock me in the head moderators . its ok . my social statement and sense of humor have , in combination , probably veered over your line in the sand , slightly .
still a funny joke tho -----
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter