Follow
Read More
Ill dog may be the skilled nursing place needs a better activities director. The one at my dad's AL is great. Tomorrow they are having an Elvis impersonator too bad I have to work but I might catch the end.
(2)

Susan, I don't think I like this club. Oh well.... maybe he will actually grow up this time and not depend on mommy. ha! One can always hope... such a smart, handsome and personable man too.

I love love LOVE how you are journaling all of this, even though you might have taken a break for awhile... still such a great idea. For all good intended, this thread is somewhat my way of journaling... least I have others to type to right? We all share idea's, fun stories and what's going on in our life.

Nobody is allowed to have 3 kinds of fits if/when you place your mother... not even you. I know you've already discussed this with your mother and all is in place. Be kind to yourself. Love your mother while she's still able to understand it. Even if/when she get's to the point of not understanding... little things will make her smile... tickles, silly actions... a hug, a bad joke... haha, I've even spanked (lightly without harm) my moms butt for being crabass. She laughed at me.

If you've met one person with AD/Dementia... you've met ONE person. Each individual is different. Lives were different. I personally believe the whole spectrum has an effect on how our loved ones progress.
(2)

I still haven't acknowledged my son's so called engagement. Honestly, I'm fine with it. Just don't ask me to pay for your health insurance, help you get yet another car, pay your light bill because you ran out of money... mom with AD is a walk in the park compared to other things (at times ) .... ahhhh, the day will come when I will be responsible for just me.

Helmet (s) ordered.
(4)

I know if I lived back in the 1600's or before, and was having my leg sawed off for some reason like sailors and pirates often had, I would want more than just a bottle of wine for sure!! On that note, I am off to get Mom ready for bed!
(1)

vino does stop working at times.... just sayin'
(0)

Well now Capt I won't comment on your view of the authors of the Bible. but when you think about it there was not much medicine available hundreds of years BC so the poor s**s had to take something for their pain when the vino just wasn't working any more.
(0)

i believe much of the bible to have been written by people under the influence of the poppy plant . i mean nothing disrespectful towards believers or even organized churches . im not even debating the content of the book , only that i believe it contains many transcribed opium visions .
drug paraphernalia has been frequently traced back to many hundreds of years BC ..
(2)

I used to have email notifications for all the questions/discussions where I had posted something.... after awhile it was overload. My OCD would kick in big time and I was spending too much time arranging the emails before I even clicked on one :P

Oh, I noticed now when one wants to see what is available "Find Housing and Care" the blue box in the upper right where you enter your zip code, you now have to fill out a form... in the past you could check on the information without signing up. Honestly, I don't want anyone sending me e-mail or calling me at home :(
(3)

My thoughts about the Bible are that i am pretty sure Jesus did not write it. It is cpmposed of stories and opinions passed down over many years and you all know how word of mouth gets mangled. if you look hard enough you can find a quote or professy for anything.
(3)

Jeanette order your helmet with lace early for the wedding because some colors sell out fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(3)

Ugh...welcome to the club, Jeanette. I found out via FB that apparently my ES (estranged son, my oldest son) is expecting another child. Not because he told me or announced it - because he's blocked me and all the rest of his family members on both my side and his dad's - but because his new girlfriend posted ultrasound pics and someone told me about it. Add this to the fact that he is facing arrest if they catch him, for unpaid child support for the child he already has and never sees or bothers to pay any support for. I guess I should be happy that I at least know he's alive and apparently well enough to produce another child. One that I'll probably never get to see.

Another slip of the memory today for Mom - one that threw me a little. I guess they all throw me a little these days, though, because this advancing decline seems surprisingly fast some days - others, not so much and she does ok, but today just isn't one of those "good" days, I guess. I was rushing to send a bday card out to my daughter, who turns 27 tomorrow (I forgot to send the card in all the hubub this week), and I had Mom sign it too, because I like her to feel included on these things. I had just finished telling her it was for my daughter, C. - and how old she was, etc. She took the card, looked up at me and said, "Who is this for again?" - so I repeated that it was for my daughter, C. - and she said, "So...I should sign it "love from Gramma", right?". Totally floored me, but I kept my cool and just said "yes" and let it go.

I had started a diary on my computer when I first moved in with Mom and started noticing little symptoms of her decline....I stopped after a while, because I just felt like it was one big whine, and it wasn't doing any good anyway. I think I'll go back to it, because I need to document these symptoms so I can show them to her doctor and to my siblings - especially DS, who I'm sure will have 3 kinds of a fit when it comes time to place Mom in a facility (not soon, but it's going to happen at some point, and I don't think we're talking more than 5 years here). I want to have proof of her decline and everything that has happened over the years since I've been here.

I really, really hate this age-related decline/dementia thing. It sucks.
(3)

lildog, that was hilarious! I'm still picturing them sitting there fussing at everything... LOL!!

While scrolling through FB ... I see that my son is engaged. Really. 33 years old and he announces this on FB and didn't bother to mention it to me at all. The kicker of it is... he hasn't met her, least not in 20 years so I'm told. Apparently he briefly knew her in middle school. Uhm, ok. She lives in MN and he in FL. Sigh. I'm now thinking more than one helmet is needed...
(6)

[Jessie, I think of God watching what we make of His fairly basic instructions and picture Him with His head in His hands softly groaning "Noooooooooooo…!"]

Well, would you look at that. I put this in square brackets so as not to drag everyone back to a prickly subject, but then slip naturally into capitalising all the pronouns - I must have been more indoctrinated than I realised!

Hope, I completely agree. If I didn't have this place to rant and rave I'd either say something I'd regret to mother or I'd be telling it to our chickens. Either way, not good.

My whine is that I'm not happy with one of our new caregivers. Oh Dear. She's rostered for tomorrow too, which I'll just live with, but if it's not a huge improvement on today I'm in for a very uncomfortable conversation with her agency. I don't enjoy telling people how to do their job, but that is based on their being better at it than I am - and to judge by today, she isn't. And I don't care how many years' experience she's got.
(1)

In a nutshell, I think what I am trying to say is can't we listen to folks who are in a bad place right now without judging ?? I don't know what i'd do without this site...But if I had been chewed up by that one in particularly "knowledgeable soul" who kept repeating how knowledgeable she was...I am certain I would have left and never come back.....
(5)

I don't have much of a whine I guess...I do have this...and this was not on this thread, but a couple of days ago and my mind is too far gone to even remember what thread it was on, but someone who was relatively new I think was having a particularly hard time working through the caregiving thing...mercy haven't we all...she received some really harsh comments from a couple of folks...I don't even remember who so I'm not pointing fingers by any means...but it broke my heart for the person who was hurting...why ...of all places....where it seems a given we are welcomed to share our woes and gripes and frustrations and I don't care who you are but if we are all being honest I think we have ALL had those moments...heaven knows I have....and sometimes you just need to have a place to go and SCREAM in your own way..maybe it was to vent and whine...but then to get blasted by folks for what they said...called selfish, clueless, etc...how sad..how horrible....yes even shameful to blast a fellow caregiver....can't we give "helpful information" without blowing someone out of the water figuratively with both barrels.....I have not seen that lady back on here...she may be...I hope so..I hope she knows we don't all feel that way....God have mercy
(1)

I have been gone for a couple of days and always am amazed at how quickly this thread can change....it takes me a while to catch up...lol...I'm still happy to shout that Mama has still been smiling at me and has continued to say a word here and there. When I hear the sound of her voice it is like music to my heart.

Regarding the email...I get a ton of emails every day...I think I have over 20,000 sitting in my inbox that needless to say I have never read and will never read, but I know there are some in there that were there from the early days that I don't want to lose, so I am cherry picking those..but all that to say...it doesn't bother me in the least to get email or not get it...that's one of those non issues to me..I read them if I feel like it, sometimes I sit here and delete a pile of them because I need something quite mundane to clear the cobwebs out of my head and sometimes I just look at them, say...hmmmm...and keep on going....I love this thread...it's gotten to be my mainstay...I always find the thread fascinating...sometimes I comment, sometimes I don't. I'm so glad this thread is here...I would probably implode if you ever deleted it Jeanette :))

The only comment I can or tend to make any longer regarding religion is something Mama always said, and something Jessie stated as well....To love God with all our heart and soul and love each other and the rest will fall into place. I do believe that.

I'm not even scholarly enough when it comes to being able to quote what is found where, etc. but again, if you remember and practice the aforementioned, no worries....I do think that it is easy for people to try to turn scripture to fit a particular situation...and I have even had moments during all this caregiving journey where I have questioned my faith...a LOT....but then down deep in my heart I KNOW there is a God, that God loves us all and I sure am thankful God is the judge and not mankind....because there is little that is kind about man for the most part it seems...

I don't have much of a whine I guess...I do have this...and this was not on this thread, but a couple of days ago and my mind is too far gone to even remember what thread it was on, but someone who was relatively new I think was having a particularly hard time working through the caregiving thing...mercy haven't we all...she received some really harsh comments from a couple of folks...I don't even remember who so I'm not pointing fingers by any means...but it broke my heart for the person who was hurting...why ...of all places....where it seems a given we are welcomed to share our woes and gripes and frustrations and I don't care who you are but if we are all being honest I think we have ALL had those moments...heaven knows I have....and sometimes you just need to have a place to go and SCREAM in your own way..maybe it was to vent and whine...but then to get blasted by folks for what they said...called selfish, clueless, etc...how sad..how horrible....yes even shameful to blast a fellow caregiver....can't we give "helpful information" without blowing someone out of the water figuratively with both barrels.....I have not seen that lady back on here...she may be...I hope so..I hope she knows we don't all feel that way....God have mercy
(5)

The paper hearts do seem a bit dumb to me. Is there something that would be more adult that people would dementia (or just very old age) would enjoy?
(1)

You'll have to forgive me for whining because I do know that it's harder to care for your loved ones at home than it is for me to have to visit one...but I have to say I do have a 'whine', even if it be small....

My whine today - Arts and Crafts. I showed up at the 'skilled nursing facility' for Mardi Gras yesterday only to find it was cancelled because of the 'cold' (70 degrees, some wind, some were cold). I find my mother at Arts and Crafts...first thing she says to me is not 'hi' but "they're not giving me my eyedrops...for two weeks now!--that's NOT right!" (mind you, I visit her at least three/four times a week. Last time I saw her was Saturday. So, of course, I go up to the nurses station and find out that this is not true. Now I'm wondering what's true, what's not true. The stress doesn't go away! So, anyway....here's how Arts and Crafts goes:

Picture about fifteen 90-plus year olds, all with some form of dementia, being handed a large paper heart with paper lace along with sequins, glitter, smaller hearts and a SMALL pot of glue with a SMALL stick.

"I have a heart"; "I had a heart"; "My heart stopped once"; "I can't do this"; What's this for?; "Why does she have that"; "mine's is broken" and the inevitable comment of all comments, the one that starts the domino effect: "I have to go to the bathroom". "Me, too"; "I have to go now!" (this one is yelled).

Once that happens, all is lost.

I was asked by the head of activities if I might want to consider volunteering. She wasn't joking.
(6)

Bookluvr - I understand your religion and respect it. :)

I have a funny story --- not meant to offend :) My aunt, now 90, diagnosed with ALZ, called me the first time it snowed, to tell me that Santa Claus was up on the roof.

That's when I knew her mind was going :)
(3)

The religious talk really opened my can of worms this morning. I am a very spiritual person and believe strongly in God. God to me is so big and knows everything. Our brains are not big enough to encompass even a small grain of the things God knows. I think Albert Einstein was one of God's favorite people. I think it is because Einstein had the will to get outside the box and to try to really understand the universe. His mind was huge, but still like a grain of sand to God.

Now I'm going to offend at least half of the people on the group. I usually keep my thoughts to myself, because I have friends that are staunch atheists and friends who are primitive fundamentalist Christians. The fundamentalist Christians are friends of my brother's family, who are fundamentalists themselves. I usually hold my tongue because each side is waiting to sharpen their fangs and sink them in. The truth is that I think the Bible is about the worst book ever written. Why? Because men cannot fathom God and it attempts to lock Him into a box. The New Testament attempts to unlock the box (tear the curtains) to set people freer. The Holy Spirit comes to earth and women are even included in the Pentacost. The greatest commandment is to love God and love each other, and all the rest falls into place.

One thing I've noticed on the fundamentalist side is they pervert truth to fit what they want. For example, locals here in Alabama think Gomer Pyle is a good family show. The word is that all the things said about Jim Nabors are untrue -- a bunch of lies made up by evil people. The truth is that Jim Nabors is very open about being married to a man. I saw the other day that my niece's husband had liked a movie star on Facebook. I wanted to write him to ask him if he didn't know the star was a gay activist. I didn't, because I know he would prefer not to know realities.

I was a biology teacher who taught evolution. I am definitely of the devil to the fundamentalists. But I believe strongly in God, so I'm a fool to the atheists. I also believe in demons and angels. I believe that life goes on when we die. I believe we should be kind and loving to each other. And I know that God is out there and He is so smart that I couldn't begin to understand Him by reading a few words written by people. I think it is the Holy Spirit that gets people out of the box when thinking about God. I also think that it is the Holy Spirit that lets people know to love each other, and to do unto others as we would have them do to us.

I could write a book about this, but I won't. Sometimes I do want to tell my fundamentalist family/friends to put down those Bibles and start living as the Spirit guides them. But in reality, I don't know how many people actually have the Holy Spirit inside them.
(4)

Hey Katie, I'm up....mom's had some bathroom issues since about 4:00 a.m.. Looks like things are working properly again ;) ...and now she's all tucked back in and snoring, which means I can go back to sleep as well!

This is an amazing place full of generous caring people with opinions and problems in their own right. I'm glad you found this website and it helps you. It's helped me tremendously which in turn, helps my mother. Win win.
(3)

I love this site and don't mind the emails. I get to them whenever I have a moment to myself here and there. It is easy to just delete emails of any kind if you don't want to read them. Knowing that you all are out there going through the same things makes me feel so less alone in this rough time...Sometimes when I am up in the middle of the night attending to Mom I wonder how many caregivers are doing the exact same thing at this moment and it helps me to move on with things. I have far too many other problems than to worry about too many emails. You can always delete unwanted emails, but you cannot delete other problems so easily.. As far as I am concerned, finding this site and everyone here has helped keep me from getting really depressed. I wish everyone well and lots of strength as we face this new day. We are all so amazing.
(3)

CM, "I pledge of ALLEGIANCE to the FLAG of the United States of America." When I got baptized in my religion, I pledge my life to serve God. By saying the Pledge of Allegiance, I am pledging myself to the United States. Per the Bible, you cannot serve 2 Gods. Or like Jesus said, “Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” Showing if Caesar (our Gov't) wants to tax us, we pay our taxes. But our loyalty belongs to God. I have nothing against the Pledge of Allegiance. Talking about taxes, our local government has doubled our land tax this year. Seniors (like my dad) get a huge discount - under $100.00. Bro of next door is now paying about $600 for his land/house tax. But he's wondering why they devalued his house (which was renovated) yet dad's house values increased (never been renovated). People are calling the radio complaining that the gov't has undervalued their house/land. One person said his home/land is valued at $250,000 yet on the tax form it's under $100,000. Quite upset on this.
(0)

300 years later. I can't count today, sorry.
(0)

What's wrong with the Stars & Stripes, Book? I thought that the nice thing about it is that it tells a story, and doesn't say a word about long live the emperor or whatever. But I applaud your discretion - as my mother used to tell me: "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all," and the same goes for quietly sitting by if you're not comfortable joining in, I always think. I agree with your teenager - and I like a girl who speaks up - but the difficulty is that Options do so easily become Essentials of membership. Like my mother getting confirmed: nobody made her, but she didn't want anyone to think she was peculiar so she just joined the queue. No harm done, I suppose, but it did miss the whole point of confirmation by a country mile.

Over here we get ourselves into endless tangles with local town councils trying to be "inclusive" and banning the word Christmas from festive decorations and the like. Then the national press gets hold of the story, they send a journalist round to interview the local Sikhs or Muslims or Jains or whoever, and we usually find that these supposedly "offended" minority community members just bought a Christmas tree for their front garden and have no idea what all the fuss is about.

Speaking of pointless nitpicking, there's a letter to the Editor in today's paper complaining bitterly that in the tv adaptation of Wolf Hall Anne Boleyn wanders past a wisteria in full bloom whereas of course, "as any fool knows," wisteria wasn't introduced to the UK until the 19th century, more than 400 years later. If the BBC had spent even more thousands uprooting every anachronistic plant from the outdoor scenes they'd never have got the series made at all and other people would be writing in to complain about the lack of original drama. There's just no pleasing everyone.
(1)

I have put in my profile to receive NO email updates on every thread that I post in. I only allow articles to be sent. AND, I set up an email just for this site. I rarely check that email. If I want to know the latest, I just check my NEWS FEED.

I think society as a whole are going overboard when they want everything that is Religious or the word "God" deleted. I am of a religion that is very strict. No pledge of allegiances, no group prayers with other religion, etc.... When it comes to blessing the table, I excuse myself. Or I just sit there quietly and not participate. Standing up to say the national anthem, I quietly slip away until it's over. I give the young teenager who fought against those atheists in her school who are trying to get "One nation under God" out of the Pledge of Allegiance. I love what she said, "They have the right to remain silent (as in not say the pledge) but they do not have the right to silence others." What's irritating is that in New Jersey it is NOT mandatory that schoolchildren say the pledge. It's an Option.
(1)

Vja, that kind of thing makes me sigh and wish I had that much time on my hands. Some people's hobby-horses are funny little creatures, aren't they?

I have a dear friend, whom I love very much in almost every way, except that he is a militant atheist to the extent that he invariably refers (not nastily, but) to "the Christian myth." It makes me twitch. I've known him long enough to realise that he really, really doesn't believe in God - he needn't fear that someone might think he's mellowing in his old age if he doesn't point it out every bloody time.

When the French, on similar grounds, banned the hijab in state schools my mother wrote to the Times Educational Supplement giving her views on Muslim girls' uniform requirements. Her letter opened: "The French, as so often, go too far…" - I'm afraid to say it got published.
(1)

This is not on the subject, but something I would like to share. I live in Vancouver, WA. A woman wrote a letter to the editor of the newspaper here.
She was upset because someone put a sign in a public building which said,
In God We Trust. I would be glad to receive all her coins that has that written on it. Any comment on that?
(2)

You mean there are people who get emails of the threads? I prefer to not get emails and just check here when I have time to really read and respond to the messages. I can see why people wouldn't want to get emails. We can check our newsfeed, though. That's the same thing, but on our schedule.

Pam, my O2 tend to run low, especially when I'm not sitting and breathing right. I don't know why I do it. Sometimes I have to make myself do belly breathing to bring it up to normal. Could you do that with your husband if his O2 gets low? I am wondering, like you did, if it might have been the meds suppressing his breathing.
(1)

wow... omg just wow, I got shot down, shot out and crucified by someone for email that I have nothing to do with?

Yes, I do get it, just to be upfront. No, it's not one defining moment that makes caretakers go batty... it's the whole conglomeration of it.

Again, I have zero to do with your email bombardments. This is something you should take up with the moderators or site owners.

Sorry hobbesmom, but you don't get it.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter