Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Barb, that’s wonderful!
(5)

My DH is home! Thanks for all your support!
(10)

Burnt,

Our parades are fun. I love the artistry of the floats but everyone who knows me will tell you that the marching bands are my favorite part of the parade! I love music. Our city is filled with fantastic musicians.

Your king cake sounds yummy!

Mardi Gras is one big party!
(2)

@NHWM and Way

You two know how it goes in New Orleans. I've made a king cake a few times. It came out good and it is sort of like a big donut. Mine had cinnamon/praline filling anf of course the little plastic baby.

I sure wish I was down in New Orleans this year for Fat Tuesday. Before I get too old to party.
(2)

Way,

You got the baby in the king cake. My kids collected them over the years and I had a drawer full of them! LOL 😆

Anyway, in the old pagan days, the baby meant luck and prosperity. After the church became involved, the baby represented, baby Jesus.

If you get the baby you buy the next king cake.
(3)

Way,

They are called king cakes but they are like either a cinnamon roll or a donut.

They are decorated in purple, green and gold colors.

Purple is for justice

Green is for faith

Gold is for power
(2)

Need . The king cake I had was more like a very good donut . I don’t know if others are more cake like . I never had it but the one time .
(3)

Way,

Oh yes, king cakes are part of our Mardi Gras tradition. I used to have a king cake shipped to my uncle (mom’s brother) who lived out of state. He lived to be 96. I also sent him pralines. I bought them at Southern Candy on Decatur Street. They ship too.
(2)

Last year someone sent my boss a King Cake from New Orleans . He shared , it was good . I got the piece with the hidden baby .
(4)

Burnt,

Yep! We live in a swamp, but it’s a fun swamp! Fat Tuesday is right around the corner! Mardi Gras ends. Then everyone is lining up for ashes on Ash Wednesday, even people who aren’t Catholic go to receive the ashes. We have beautiful old churches in our city.

Lent begins and ends. Easter happens, French Quarter Fest which I consider to be the warm up for my favorite, Jazz Fest! And on and on…
(3)

@Barb

OMG, I'm glad you're okay. BE CAREFUL, my friend. No matter what's going on don't take chances with your life by neglecting yourself and forgetting your medications. There. I've said it and I'm sure this is the ten-thousandth time someone has told you that.

@NeedHelpWithMom

Of course it's hot and humid in New Orleans. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be New Orleans.

God bless when it's nice weather for Mardi Gras!

LAISSEZ LE BON TEMPS ROULER!
(3)

I'll contribute.
Rainy days and Mondays always get me down by the Carpenters.
I wish it would rain by the Temptations
And of course Aretha
Looking out on the morning rain
I used to feel so uninspired
And when I knew I had to face another day
Lord, it made me feel so tired

(I'm not regularly following this thread regularly any more but I still check in once in a while)
(5)

Gotta love the exuberance of The Weather Girls!

Hi! We're your Weather Girls
And have we got news for you (You better listen)
Get ready, all you lonely girls
And leave those umbrellas at home (Alright!)

Humidity is rising (mmm rising)
Barometer's getting low (How low, girl?)
According to all sources (What sources, now?)
The street's the place to go (We'd better hurry up)
Cause tonight for the first time
Just about half-past ten
For the first time in history
It's gonna start raining men!

It's raining men! Hallelujah!
It's raining men! Amen!
I'm gonna go out to run and let myself get
Absolutely soaking wet!

It's raining men! Every specimen!
Tall, blonde, dark and lean
Rough and tough and strong and mean

God bless Mother Nature, she's a single woman too
She took off to heaven and she did what she had to do
She taught every angel and rearranged the sky
So that each and every woman could find her perfect guy

It's raining men! Amen!
It's raining men! Amen!

I feel stormy weather moving in
About to begin (about to begin)
Hear the thunder
Don't you lose your head!
Rip off the roof and stay in bed!
(3)

Beatty,

I bought the Bare Trees album by Fleetwood Mac when I was in high school. Have been listening to Fleetwood Mac for years. I love them! I adore Stevie Nicks!
(2)

However it's simply untrue that 'thunder only happens when it's raining'. Thunder normally only happens when there's lightning, but it often is quite separate from rain!
(3)

Was just singing along in the car to Fleetwood Mac "Oh, thunder only happens when it's raining" except in my dyslexic way was singing *sunshine* instead of thunder 🌞

Anabanana, love that song too!

Speaking of weather, I like Crowded House's Four Seasons in One Day. Not as edgy but sweet harmonies & written about my home town.
(2)

You know what? There are lots of great songs about rain. Lots of good songs about sunshine too.

Love seeing people post their favorite songs. I am a huge fan of music!
(1)

One of my favourites, rain or shine, to listen to or sing, by Garbage:

I'm only happy when it rains
I'm only happy when it's complicated
And though I know you can't appreciate it

You know I love it when the news is bad
And why it feels so good to feel so sad

Pour your misery down, pour your misery down on me

I feel good when things are going wrong
I only listen to the sad, sad songs

I only smile in the dark
My only comfort is the night gone black
I didn't accidentally tell you that

You'll get the message by the time I'm through
When I complain about me and you

Pour your misery down (Pour your misery down)
Pour your misery down on me (Pour your misery down)

You can keep me company
As long as you don't care

You wanna hear about my new obsession?
I'm riding high upon a deep depression

Pour some misery down on me
(1)

I am still kind of loving the rainfall. I have my little guage out and it's doing very well here in San Francisco. Second year out of 9 I won't have to worry about the big drought. A little too warm in the mountains with too early a snowmelt, but I will take what I can get.

I will say that the waves in Carlsbad way south looked mighty and a friend told me 10 inches in Hollywood Hills. My bro would have been in the flooding in Palm Springs again, I do fear if this keeps up. The floods hit when he first fell ill about this time 5 years ago.

For me, I will watch The Rains Came if I can find it. Because this year they DID.
(1)

Send,

I like your description of your weather! Rain with sunshine.

Love that song too. Mamas and the Papas were a great group!
(3)

Need,
"That’s when I envy the people who live in California who enjoy beautiful sunshine and low humidity!" Humidity is about 89% to 100% today.

We are in So. Cal., and we have got rain 24/7 through Tuesday.
News reports are calling it an Atmospheric River with mudslides and evacuations.
Okay here, calling it rain with sunshine. 🏝

Lol...
California Dreamin by the Mamas & the Papas

All the leaves are brown (all the leaves are brown)
And the sky is gray (and the sky is gray)
I've been for a walk (I've been for a walk)
On a winter's day (on a winter's day)
I'd be safe and warm (I'd be safe and warm)
If I was in L.A. (if I was in L.A.)
California dreamin' (California dreamin')
On such a winter's day.

I am laughing because there is a song for almost everything. Like you said, music is a universal language.
(2)

Send,

We see lots of rain! It’s kind of nice when it’s hot outside. When it’s chilly, it’s that cold, damp and nasty rain. That’s when I envy the people who live in California who enjoy beautiful sunshine and low humidity!

Thanks for posting the lyrics to this song! I love reminiscing about music from long ago. I watched the Grammy Awards last night and Joni Mitchell performed. She’s 80 years old now!

The musicians gave a special tribute to all of the wonderful musicians who are now deceased. Loads of memories came back to me when I heard those songs. Music is truly a universal language.
(1)

Have You Ever Seen the Rain
Song by Creedence Clearwater Revival

Someone told me long ago
There's a calm before the storm
I know, it's been comin' for some time
When it's over so they say
It'll rain a sunny day
I know, shinin' down like water

I wanna know
Have you ever seen the rain?
I wanna know
Have you ever seen the rain
Comin' down a sunny day?
Yesterday and days before
Sun is cold and rain is hard
I know, been that way for all my time
'Til forever, up on it goes
Through the circle, fast and slow
I know it can't stop, I wonder
I wanna know
Have you ever seen the rain?
I wanna know
Have you ever seen the rain
Comin' down a sunny day?

....Still I wonder, "Who'll Stop the Rain" by Creedence Stillwater Revival. Lol.
(2)

We get our share of rainfall here in New Orleans.

We don’t deal with bitter cold weather in the winter months, but we have to deal with hot and humid weather during the summer months.

Lots of rain recently which caused our parades to be rescheduled. The good news is that it looks like we will have good weather for Mardi Gras day. Yay!
(1)

Barb,

Check in with an update when it’s convenient for you. As always, wishing you all the best!
(1)

Barb, hoping for an update from you and I am thinking of you lots. Hoping all is OK.
(1)

Barb,
How are things. Hoping your being out of here a few hours means you are RESTING.
(2)

Alva,

My cousin was one of a kind.

I love researching our family history and she was the person who knew everything!

We were amazed by her optimism. She loved to travel and would tell us about her upcoming trips.

She outlived her husband by many years and it certainly didn’t stop her from enjoying her life.
(1)

Barb, how's the BP today?

What are you doing to take care of YOU?

For me, I am, in my current state of limbo, re-reading all of Sue Grafton's books starting with A is for Alibi. I am up to F is for Fugitive when Kindle Unlimited decided to CHARGE me for them, and now my library hold card is filled with her alphabet.

What a fun thing to sink into bed with coffee heavy with cream, the heat pad on my back, and Sue Grafton's wonderful world of the 80s per her P.I. Kinsey Millhone.
It really is another kinder, gentler world for a while (if full of cigarette smoke; they smoked in HOSPITALS if you recall! I sure did!)

So what is bringing you some seconds of peace? My daughter is currently dealing with some "stuff" and for her it's collage. Freeing of the mind with sticky fingers.

Give yourself some downtime that is restorative. I am thinking of you so much.

@NeedHelp, Amazing story that cousin "doing well" to 100. OMG that's guts! My condolences on her loss, but who can kick about such a life??
(3)

Barb, glad you took the day to rest.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter