Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Bridger, thanks for sharing the good news update on your husband.
(1)

My husband is home. Better than when he went to hospital but still sick. He has lost 15 lbs. Looks pale and thin. I went to the hospital to check on my son. He’s very sick. On highest volume oxygen. His doctor is trying to keep him off ventilator. His brother is spending the night in the waiting room. It’s truly scary to see your child struggling to breathe. He has always been so healthy - distance runner. Now so sick. Of course, they won’t let anyone in his room. There are no ICU rooms available. He’s in an adapted room. They seem to have plenty of staff.
(7)

Bridger,

I wish you didn’t have to see your husband and son suffer.
(2)

EB,

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all of the forum!

I am keeping it very simple. Hubby, oldest daughter and myself.
Whole Foods is cooking this year! LOL

Taking a break. I hosted Thanksgiving at my house for a bazillion years!
(3)

Bridger, sending prayers and good thoughs for your son's quick and complete recovery.
(3)

Goodnight all, I am really tired. I am going to bed early. I bet I will fall asleep in five minutes!
(4)

Due to a gastritis dx, I am on a diet free from tomatos, garlic, onions, carbonated beverages, caffeine, spicy food, chocolate and alcohol for a month.
(7)

Sorry to hear about your gastritis. Hope you feel better real soon, Barb. Sending my thoughts and prayers to you and your son.
(0)

Sounds like a starvation diet Barb :(
Hope you feel better soon.
(0)

Barb, I'm sorry to learn about your gastritis DX, and limited diet.  So I was thinking of:

1.    What you can do, and can eat:  Peas, beans, rice, pasta, meats, oranges, tangerines, apples, spinach (for iron), lettuce and other leafy veggies, chicken soup, fruit pies... that's really a lot when you think about it, so you can still have turkey and dressing if you want (minus the onions).   And

2.   Watch operas!   Lots and lots of operas!   Opera every day!

Hope you feel better and find good solutions and combinations for your new diet.
(2)

Barb,
Almost there, I would just have to give up coffee and chocolate to join you on that diet.

Turkey is allowed, so is sweet potato.
Eating small portions is best.

Are you aware of the benefits of Miso soup?
Check it out.

And feel better soon!
(3)

Bridger, my best wishes for improving health for both your men.
(0)

Barb, oh no! Best wishes for you to improve quickly!
(0)

Oh Barb ((((((hugs))))) eating too many tomatoes again eh? 😉 Kidding aside, wishing you the best I think I had a bit of that and changing for a few weeks to vegetables only has really helped. My IBS disappeared too. Meat is hard on the stomach. It was easier to give up meat than to give up coffee and chocolate and carbonated drinks - just my private solution.

bridger - (((((((hugs))))) and prayers for your son. It must be so distressing for you to see him so very ill. Glad hubbie is back home and starting to recover. Sounds like it will take time,
(2)

Barb, how are you doing today? I did some research and found some foods that would be beneficial to you for gastritis. Yogurt, carrot juice, honey, oatmeal, green leafy vegetables. I buy 100% carrot juice at the local market.

Bee honey 2 tbsp. to warm water daily on an empty stomach. Acidity should decrease and stomach wall will heal naturally.
Oatmeal with honey

Hope this help and you get better soon.
(1)

Barb,

Elimination diets are a pain!

I hope you feel better soon.
(0)

Thanks so much to all of you for responding to my diet woes. There is nothing I cook that doesn't start with smashing a couple of cloves of garlic with a cleaver and chopping up an onion. Again, thanks, all. Happy Thanksgiving!
(4)

Barb,

Add celery and green peppers to the onion and you will be cooking New Orleans style with our ‘Trinity’ seasoning.

Adding garlic kicks it up another notch.😊
(0)

Good luck, Barb, with reinventing your recipes.

I am not happy with Albertans as our covid numbers are disgraceful and rising Public health will make some kind of announcement tomorrow, I gather. I feel justified in my hermit position, not that I like it, and not that it doesn't have it's challenges, but it does greatly decrease the chance of me getting and passing on that virus. I know not everyone can isolate as much even if they wanted to.
(1)

My husband is feeling much better. He needs to have another negative test. Youngest son still in the hospital but better. He should get to come home tomorrow evening or on Wednesday.
My older son and I still have not had a positive test. I’m not complaining. My dad says he is coming home on Thursday morning. He says he’s not worried about Covid. We’ll see...
(6)

Bridger, so happy that your patients are on the mend!!
(3)

Bridger,

That’s great to hear!

I bet that your dad misses your fabulous cooking! He has probably been dreaming about your cake!
(1)

Need, He wants to be home for Thanksgiving.
(1)

Bridger,

I am sure that your dad will enjoy being with you at Thanksgiving.

I am glad that all of you will be together.
(0)

EB,

I haven’t tried carrot juice from the store.

I do order fresh carrot, apple and celery juice from a health food restaurant near me. It’s really good.

My youngest daughter loves to get the drinks with kale in them. I haven’t tried those.
(1)

Need Help.
I get the Bolthouse Farms 100% carrot juice. I used to juice my own but too time consuming and cleaning the juicer is a chore. I have been drinking it for a month everyday. I went for my annual eye exam and my eyes got better, no more glasses for reading and driving now.
(1)

We have a very good day for our Thanksgiving. At the end of the day we had dessert. I made my mother a lemon meringue pie without the crust. She loved it. I was in the kitchen and heard her scream so loud. I came running to find out what was going on. My niece was feeding her and ate the last small piece of her lemon pie. I got my mom another piece. Niece knows better, its like taking candy from a baby. My mom loves her sweets.
(4)

Well today is another day. 79 year old cousin driving me bonkers right now. Trying to take my moms vital signs before her night time meds and prepare her for bed. My cousin barges in her room and said she just wet her pants and she needs her clothes right away. I told her she needs to wait. She ran over my nieces foot with her walker trying to get to the living room quickly. It is really not an emergency. Told brother to help her out. Christmas she will be staying 2 nights only or maybe just for the day. I love my cousin, traveled with her in my younger years before caregiving, always came for the holidays for years. I guess I am losing patience with her. Nothing like my mother who is easy, sweet and certainly not demanding. I am sitting with my mom in her bedroom visiting with her with the door closed and complaining about my cousin. Also she is plowing into our cherry furniture and dining room table we had since I was a kid. I told her to be careful I do not want it damaged. By golly she did it again and I lost my temper. I took the dining room table and pushed the table to the other side and told her there is enough room now, stop [plowing into the furniture. Thanks for listening, felt good to vent. Love my cousin, though.
(3)

EB,

I understand. We all have those situations in our families.

People may have good intentions but sometimes they overstep.

Your cousin sounds like the ‘nervous Nellie type.’

Maybe you can find something else for her to ‘help’ with. Hahaha 🤣

If she wants to be boss, put her to work with something else that won’t annoy you.

It’s a shame that she picked your mom to be her ‘project’ for the evening.

Some people tend to be pushy. Is she the type to want to brag about how you were doing it all wrong and she had to take over to do it right? I hope not.

Unfortunately, every family has their challenging situations.

I know that you don’t make a habit of drinking. This may be a time though to crack open a bottle of wine if she continues to work on your nerves! 😂 LOL

Otherwise, I hope your thanksgiving weekend is going well.

We had a lovely day yesterday. My oldest daughter came over. We spoke to our youngest one on the phone.

We called my mom to wish her and my brother and sister in law a happy thanksgiving. My mom had her hearing aid in and heard every word I said! Nice change! I usually have to yell.

My nephews called to chat, my niece, my cousins too and a few friends too.

My nephew and his wife visited us last year with their kids. They want us to visit them in Tucson, AZ soon.

We aren’t making any travel plans until my husband’s cancer treatments are over.
(2)

NeedHelp, my cousin wet her own pants and expected me to drop everything to help her. I don't mind helping her but not when I am tending to my mom. My cousin is more the impatient type than the nervous type. My mother did not pee her pants but my cousin did. We are having a good night now. Cousin uses a walker she is the one plowing into the furniture and ran over my nieces foot with her walker not my mom. I don't drink but a good strong cup of tea sounds good to me right now. I am glad you had a good Thanksgiving. Great you talked to your younger daughter. It was so nice you talked with your mom and she could hear you. It seems you have a lot of extended family members. Nice you talked to cousins, brother and in-laws. When I was a kid cousins, grandparents, in-laws visited around the holidays. I loved it, very family oriented. Adults dressed up in their fancy dresses/suits and danced the polkas and waltzes'. Everyone looked so graceful and elegant. Santa came and passed out presents. Must have been at least thirty cousins, always a house full at my grandparents house. Those were the good old days.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter