Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
Evermore,
Yes, one can get creative with gifts!
One year, my son really wanted a Porsche after getting his driver's license.
I got him a real nice Porsche, authentic, at the toy store.

One is not required to gift what is on the list. If you do get a gift card, ($20) you can make it appear bigger by sticking it on a foam core poster board the exact same color as the card. See? Much bigger!
(3)

Lu,
Both AARP and Taco Bell think the age of seniors is 55. Or is it 50?
If one is nearing that age, it is all about the DISCOUNT!
Putting our hopes and dreams in the hands of some young whippersnapper to tell us how young we look is just never gonna work out, dear sweet Lu. Try tipping him next time....

Don't freak out just because your birthday is nearing because Baskin Robbins 31 Flavors will give you a free cone on your real birthday-do not-I repeat-do not lie about your age!

Lol, and joyeaux noel.

I came over here to whine about something but I forgot what it was.
(4)

I'm whining about how old I must look now. At Taco Bell when the young boy took my order,he didn't even ask if  was a senior and just gave me the senior discount.That stung~
(4)

I am still SICK of the wind! I would much rather have the snow
🏂🎅
(2)

Why do you need to stay up with them coyote? I get that not visiting with bro would have been rude but can't you just retire to your room to read or something the rest of the time?
(2)

I love my parents, but latelly spending time with them is like someone shouting "BOOOO" to you 24 hours a day. When my mother asks something, I need to think what answer she wants. From nowhere, she asks me to tell her something, some news, I have to think what to say and what to avoid, and doing so she complains I don't talk to her. But, you know, not only is hard to find a subject, even harder is to talk above the telly blasting on the last volume. With her mobility and vision getting worse, I need to be on alert to everything and anything. "Son, I was watching a movie on Netflix, and it changed to something else" No, it was not her touching the screen unvoluntarelly "Sure, mom, what were you watching?" "It's the movie where the lady was tallking with the guy at a pub..." Sheesh! I just relax when they go to sleep around 20h00 - but yesterday my brother and family stayed here untill past 22:00h. I almost cried, being forced to stay tense nd pretend to enjoy the talk for hours.
(0)

I saw a headline about a British restaurant chain offering kids eat free when they don’t have cell phones at the table

can’t stand to see families out together and everyone is on a cell

btw my fairly new iPhone has a glitch -
seems the phone icon freezes and I have to completely power off to access the keypad to actually use the phone
- how reassuring in an emergency
(5)

Said my 93 y.o. narcissistic to me just a few minutes ago.... "I know YOU have problems...." so I shot back, "well so do YOU!" and omg.... you wouldn't believe the offended "not me" look!
(2)

Send, I don't think she meant to send me a Christmas card, I never got one from her before. I do believe she confused me with someone else. Don't know whether to be embarrased for her or angry, or just dismiss this as a very odd mistake.
(2)

BH, a legitimate whine; when it happens here, I just close the drapes and blinds and turn on the lights - now cozy. LOL
(1)

My whine? Continuous grey skies. Over the past 10 days, I think I saw the sun for an hour....maybe two. 😞
(4)

It's the Christmas season and I am pretty annoyed. There were a couple people in my department at work have quit, so there is added pressure at work. My autistic friend has handed me a list of Christmas ideas for our gift exchange. At first, I thought it was awesome because, as a person with with mild autism, I don't really like winging it when it comes to gifts. I like things a little more concrete but a little room for creativity. The list were things that are $50 or more. He even wrote down that he wanted the gift cards to be big. I reminded him that the limit for our exchange was $20. I had said that he might have slick but not that slick. He had said that he "needed and wanted" bigger gifts and I had to say no to him. The thing is that he has the emotional and intellectual level about 13 year old. So he had a minor (for him) tantrum and I said that will talk to him when he can keep a civil tongue in his head and not not be kicking walls and walked away. I just don't understand this greed thing when it comes to gifts, if someone gives me a gift or wants to for Christmas, I don't want a whole lot spent on me.
(6)

Katie,
You seem to have a growing sense of humor about the situation.

How about this: In sending out Christmas cards to neighbors, the 87 year old put the sympathy card in the wrong envelope, meant for someone's family who was a neighbor who died.

You can let it go, with a sense of humor like you have. Is she italian, or just 87 y.o.?
(2)

The card went to my old address and was forwarded to my new one, so the woman does not know I moved. It is probably some misunderstanding on her part...but my first reaction was puzzlement and wonder why she sent it to me and who she thinks died. I am wondering now if I get any more of these from other people in the old neighborhood....scenes from "The Godfather" came to mind....I do have an active imagination, but it was probably an embarrasing mistake on her part. I don't think anyone has a vendetta out on me and I ever met this woman though her name was familiar from the old condo resident's list....
(1)

Katie,
Call her up or go visit her. Ask why you received the card so you can put your mind at rest. This is because you said people have been mean to you.

You can put it back in the envelope, write no longer here, return to sender, then drop it in her mailbox.

Send her a christmas card.

I think it was mistaking you for the other person with the same initial.

Is there anything else you might have thought it meant?

Sometimes with enough information, you can figure these things out.

I don't think you want to let this go, do you,?
(2)

Interesting that they have your new address Katie. Perhaps you could send it back with a little note inside explaining that you think they must have you confused with someone else?
(2)

I am angry and at a loss as to what to do. I received a sympathy card from someone in my old condo complex I did not know, though I recognize the name as a resident there. It was forwarded to my new address with only my name, not my husband's on the envelope. Trouble is....I have had no recent death in the family, my Mom died 3 years ago and I did NOT get a card from this person then. Now I am wondering who she thinks died?? There was a woman on our old street that recently lost her husband, but only the first initial of our first names is the same...that is where the similarity ends. I did some research and see this woman is 87 years old. My husband says to just let the whole thing go.....I am not sure what to do. It might embarass her if I call her or send the card back. I am used to people doing mean things so I always, probably unfairly, see something nefarious in people's actions when they make no sense....
(1)

Countrymouse, exactly what I said to my sig other, that the Mom and girls were "rude".

Also on their trip back home, we asked that they let us know when they got home, due to the weather. Well, their cellphones died on the way home, duh, of course. No land-line at their home to call. They were technically off the digital face of the earth. They misplaced their chargers. Oh good grief, life has become so complicated :P
(6)

"they prefer alfalfa to chocolate."🤣🤣

CM, you have such a way with words!
(5)

Kirstie...

Whotsername. Allsopp? Some celeb expert I am!

Anyway. Kirstie who's-terribly-famous-for-something smashed up her kids' cellphones and it went nuclear on Mumsnet, apparently (another subject which I will not be nominating if I am ever on a quiz show). 50% saying she was a crazy controlling monster and 50% saying well I never let my children have a cellphone in the first place, and they prefer alfalfa to chocolate. You know the kind of thing.

As you can see I paid close attention to the story; but the point is that as far as I took it in at all I was completely on her side. I am now old enough to be direct about it and say "turn your phone off" to people who are annoying me with them a lot, but all the same I acknowledge that the pull these machines have is clearly highly addictive.

Must be. How else could they lead otherwise normal human beings to be so f***ing rude?
(5)

My whine, teenagers and their darn cellphones. My sig other has a grown daughter who has two daughters, pre-teen and teen. It was a 6 hr drive for them to get to our house. They stayed at a local hotel which made life easier for everyone.

Sig other took the family via subway into Wash DC to sight-see. So instead of looking out the windows to view "reality", the girls and their Mom were either on their cellphones or napping. Same at the house, cellphone/napping.

Next day sig other said it was good Thanksgiving Day.... I blew up. I had about 10 minute face time with the girls. How does one bond with these kids if you can't get their attention away from the cellphone? Or they are napping? This is the 2nd time I have seen them this year, prior to that, the girls were toddlers. I just couldn't get away back then, due to major illness plus helping my very elderly parents.

When I was the girls' age, I was a bundle of energy. Are cellphones zapping energy in today's children???
(7)

CM, more like bang their heads on the wall instead of ours....
(3)

CWillie, MIL is hanging in there. They diagnosed the vomiting/diarrhea spells as a bowel obstruction due to radiation treatments several years ago for cervical cancer. They say there is not much they can do but give her a diet to follow. She is stubborn and will eat what is on the list to avoid...then get very sick and promise to never do it again...then will eat the bad foods again like corn, greasy foods, etc.
(5)

Gee. Thanks. 😒

Sigh, Ms Madge. Wouldn't it be nice to get these decision-makers all into the same room together and make them explain themselves?
(4)

Well, here's a holiday treat

got mom's notice of her social security benefit for next year - despite the whopping 2.8% increase, she'll actually net $50 less a month due to Medicare premium increases
(3)

Good news, Ali
(3)

Polarbear, I'm laughing but I feel for you. Amazing that she has the wherewithal to swipe the goods and hide them away, knowing that she's doing something that she isn't supposed to... or else why wouldn't she just hold them in her hand or put them on or eat them, etc.

An anti-whine from me today: The first grad student roommate is lined up for the new place. It's taken me too long because I'm being SLOW about it. But, now I have one great future roomie who's moving in mid Dec. She's earning her MS in nursing. She seems like a really great fit for the kind of person I was wanting to get in here. Now to go find another good fit... But it's not a rush. This is all bonus for me since the rent here at the big 3 bedroom place is same as the previous 1 bedroom. I'm thinking ahead to saving money and planning some career reinvention at some point. I'm also extremely happy where I'm working at currently so I may stay there for a couple of years, who knows. No bad options for me right now. I'm thankful.
(14)

Sure. Headline in the local newspaper reads

"GRANNY ROBBED JEWELRY DEPARTMENT WITH STOLEN NERF GUN - RELATIVES NOT YET FOUND"
(8)

There's a thought, Polar... If you can get her to stage an actual proper jewel heist what would that get her?

There could be a very unusual plea bargain going on in that case.

As if - hugs to her from me :)
(3)

CM- It's not the blushes that concern me. It's the $500 fine for shoplifting that I worry about.

Or maybe I just let the police take her for a day. That'll give me a break. Haha.
(10)

1 2 3 4 5
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter