Follow
Read More
1 2 3 4 5
My cat had something long hanging out of her mouth, the little bugger caught a hummingbird. She saw me and dropped it. It played dead for a bit then fly off.
(3)

My brother's dogs were a little bigger than greyhounds 🤪.
Bro did take his champion out to a private track so he could have fun chasing lures but the other dog came to us as an adult and could never be trusted to come back if let off leash, her prey drive was very strong and woe to any cat that was caught away from a safety zone, once she plucked a pheasant out of the air.
(2)

cw,

I owned a sight hound. They are super focused and extremely fast. Watching my grey run at the park was amazing! He could out run all the other dogs there.

Ironically, they are couch potatoes at home! Very mellow personalities.

Greyhounds are the fastest sight hound. Ours was a champion when he raced. He was very happy as a retired racing dog.
(0)

Way, we now have official road-side signs saying ‘a cat’s place is in the home’. It’s because of the impact of cats on native wild life, particularly little ground-dwelling birds.
(6)

My bro had a pair of big sight hounds and once they noticed something interesting there was no calling them back.
(2)

Way,

The shelter told my daughter not to get a cat. Her dog has a very high prey drive.

I had a kitten that a German shepherd killed when I was a kid. Oh my gosh, I wish that I hadn’t seen that as a kid. They kill due to the prey instinct. Some dogs have a really strong prey drive.

My daughter’s dog will try to chase anything, a bird, a cat or a squirrel. It’s interesting though, he is sweet with little dogs.

The dog park has lots of dogs that go, from toy poodles all the way up to Great Danes and Mastiffs.

ITRR,

They were definitely trying to establish who was the boss. No blood, but lots of growling. I didn’t go near the dogs while they were battling it out.

My husband, who remains calm in a crisis, separated them. I stood a few feet away.

It happened super fast. They ran towards each other and started fighting. The last time, another dog accidentally ran into my daughter’s dog and my daughter’s dog was startled. I suppose that he was defending himself and started fighting.

Neither my husband or I show the dog any anxiety on our part because I do believe that they can pick up on our anxiety.

Golden,

My daughter’s dog was on top of the other dog. Neither dog was going to stop fighting. It’s interesting how each animal on this planet has their own distinct personalities just like humans.

I didn’t want to see either dog hurt and I think we did the right thing by removing the dogs from the park. I don’t see a lot of fighting going on at the park. Occasionally there is a scuffle or two.

Anxiety,

Yeah, he is definitely aware of his humans but huskies aren’t guard dogs by nature. They are high energy but also very friendly.

Whoever had this dog previously did a great job at training him. He listens very well, is super smart, doesn’t jump on people, etc.
(2)

This makes me glad I have only one cat and she stays inside. The shelter even made me “ promise “ to keep her inside for her safety .
(3)

Re dogs and dominance I had a very sweet gentle springer spaniel named Matt who was bottom of the pack in the house and happily took that position. However on our usual walk there was a young dog who used to bug him. Matt paid no attention to other 4 legged animals on our walks. He was after birds. One day it got to be too much for him and I heard some growling and I turned and saw this young dog on his back and Matt standing over him growling, That was all. We went on our way. That young dog grew up to quite a big dog and always wanted to challenge Matt but his owner would call him off. Matt again paid no attention to him. It was the dominance thing. I agree it is not problem behaviour but natural to the dogs. They sort themselves out usually.
(2)

As a German Shepard owner, I am going to chime in here, they too are closely related to wolves.

Need, any dog that has it's dominance challenged will respond with aggression towards the other animal that is pushing boundaries. If there was no blood, they were establishing who is the boss and that can be loud and scary but, not problematic if they aren't drawing blood.

Freaking out by the handler, you, creates confusion and indicates dangers unseen and that can escalate the situation if it is only boundaries being established. Don't get me wrong, I know how freaking traumatic it can be to witness this.

This is what dogs do and I, personally, would never take a large dog to a dog park, because people have no idea about how dogs deal with their space, creating a potential disaster.

It sounds like two dominant dogs met and disagreed about who was the Alpha, this can be expected whenever a dog feels the place they are is part of their territory.

Nothing is wrong with your daughters dog that a vet could address, it is behavioral and that is ALL training.
(2)

Needs, I'm wondering if your husky is for some reason protecting you. I don't know alot about them or dogs in general but did know someone that had one and I baby-sat her a few times.

And when I took her for a walk I felt so safe , she would just scan every wheres, and I felt like she was walking me. She seemed to love it because she was working and doing her job.

I've heard if you put like a doggy back pack on them, to carry your water or something also gives them a sence of working

I've heard that's why cats sleep by your feet, so they can be ready to jump into action at any moment.

Golden, when I had covid in the fall, I didn't realize the meds I was taking was non drowsy. I stayed up for 4 nights watching little house on the prairie, till I figured it out.
(3)

Alva,

I know that Huskies are closely related to wolves. They do have a strong prey drive. He is high energy but very sweet. He isn’t a howler like most are. He’s very smart.

He was 11 months old when my daughter rescued him. She was living in Denver during Covid and couldn’t go inside the shelter. She met him through a zoom meeting.

He was surrendered because he ate a bunny. His owners had taken him to the vet and never returned to pick him up. After the vet gave him meds for his upset stomach he was fine.

Everything was different during Covid. People were losing their jobs. Maybe his previous owners couldn’t pay the vet bills.

He had been socialized. He’s not afraid of humans at all. The rescue shelter was using him to test for compatibility with other dogs because he got along so well with other dogs.

So, this is odd behavior for him. He was neutered when my daughter rescued him. He immediately took to my daughter. She adores him and takes very good care of him. She takes him on extra long walks and to the park too.

My daughter started working remotely during Covid. She is still working remotely. When she worked in her office her dog went to daycare. He still goes to daycare occasionally and he does well.

He loves the park because he enjoys running. I am not going to take him back to the park for now and will tell my daughter about his behavior when she gets back from Denver.
(1)

Need,
Genetically I think Huskies are a bit closer to wolves than your average dog bred out to lose a lot of their aggressive genes (Goldens for instance).

If a god isn't neutered the aggression will be exponentially worse.
If he IS recently neutered, but later in life, then the hormones and memory behavior can still trigger incidents.
If other dogs in the park are not neutered you will see dogs, tho neutered or spayed, acting out with or nearby them.
Their noses are thousands of times more sensitive than ours and it is how they read the air and other dogs.

Dog parks are simply not for some more aggressive types. The energy is too high, too difficult for them to read. You can easily learn their body language, head and shoulders up, tail raised, stiff legged walk, eye contact, either no wag or tight more rapid wave to the tail. Time to leave at that point.

Dogs just aren't humans, and people sometimes still expect them to be so. They read their world in an entirely different way. They also read the person HANDLING Them. Whether they hold leash tight and are nervous, whether they are lame and need protection, whether they themselves are not in control, in which case the dog will take over the control. They are masters at reading OUR body language as we are NOT masters at reading theirs.
(3)

Thanks, Need, We work well together and play well together. R came home yesterday happy with some paintings he has been collecting, one in particular worth $$$$$. The thieves missed them or planned to get them later. The police are trying to get a DNA sample from an item in the house so there is still hope. R found footsteps up to the house in the snow the other night so they haven't given up yet.

Ana - there is crime everywhere these days. Back in the day, we never locked our front door - small town (~8000) and we lived in a area away from downtown. Locking the door still doesn't feel natural to me. I often left my house up north unlocked and never had a problem in 40 years.

Pam - what a day. I know what it feels like. The realtor emailed me that we have an issue in the house we have to deal with. Enough already!!! Good for you for exercising.

You too, Need. We should keep moving and try to keep strength as we age. I walk the stairs here, walk in the underground parking, do squats, leg lifts and balance exercises, and have started standing on one foot for balance. I'm getting better!! Due to CFS/FM I can't do many of them but everything helps. Hope the dog settles down.

nacy - my dd would step between dogs. She was fearless

Re animals and mating behaviour. We rescued a sweet black cat who went into heat before we could get her spayed. All our cats were spayed/neutered. The one male responded to her arching back position and try to mount her and after a bit he stopped and had this far away look in his eyes. It was funny. Like "I used to know what to do here".

I foolishly took a small amount of decongestant yesterday evening and also without thinking had green tea - not the decaf kind. That along with everything that is happening and needing to call R this morning to make sure he was up for his appointments is enough to keep me awake. I got 2 hrs sleep last night.

Oh well. I'll sleep today I guess. Tomorrow we go to the farm to get the SUV started. Have a good day everyone!
(2)

I learn such interesting things from the forum and many of them have nothing to do with caregiving. Apparently a female in heat, or just her urine, can cause aggressive behaviour even in neutered dogs.
(7)

That's really interesting about the mating season, I know we really have to be extra careful with are cats this time of year, when they go outside, because coyotes are a lot more bolder now.

My son is like the dog whisperer of dog fights. When he is at a dog park, and there is a fight, I've seen him jump into action holding onto 2 large dogs out for murder. It's amazing to see , but really scary, he has been bit few times. It's just what he does.
(2)

FF,

That’s an interesting thought. I hadn’t even considered that being an issue.

Let me tell you that I was panicking at the park earlier. Both dogs were growling and nipping at each other.

I was nervous for my husband who had to separate the dogs. The other dog owner was surprised by their dog’s behavior as well. They also left the park with their dog just like we did.

Do you feel that our daughter should speak to the vet? Is this a normal thing between dogs?

We used to take our greyhound to the park all the time and had never run into this problem with him. He was such a sweet dog. He lived to be 13. We loved him so much and cried so hard when we had to put him down.
(1)

NeedHelpWithMom, please note that this is the mating season for the sled dog breed. That could explain why he is fighting, probably with other male dogs [neutered or not].
(3)

Here’s my whine for the day!

Y’all know how much I love our granddog. He stole my heart!

He stays with us when our daughter goes out of town and at other times when our daughter is busy.

We love taking him to the dog park. He always has fun and gets his exercise. Siberian huskies require lots of exercise because they are high energy dogs.

Anyway…the last couple of days when he has been at the park we have dealt with a few behavioral problems that I am concerned about.

I haven’t told our daughter while she is on her trip because I don’t want to ruin her vacation by being concerned about his behavior but I am going to tell her when she returns.

He has always gotten along with other dogs at the park. Twice now, he has gotten into fights with other dogs in the park. We immediately put his leash on and removed him from the park. I don’t want to see another dog getting hurt or see him getting hurt.

It’s strange. He has never shown this alpha aggression before. He’s four years old. I have no idea what is going on. I’m hoping that my daughter will speak to her vet about this behavior.

We are not going to take him back to the park for now. Will just have to take him out for long walks for him to get his exercise.
(1)

Good for you, Pam.

I do my exercise bike and walk. I want to try and do strength training to maintain muscle mass. I am 68 and we start to lose muscle mass as we get older.

My last bone density tests came back fine but I don’t feel as strong as before. I can’t open any jars without help from my kitchen tool.

My daughters love yoga. Stretching is important too.
(2)

Our SC offers exercise and balance 4 days a week,( they are closed on the weekends) I started the week after I retired in Aug. During the winter I normally make it all 4 days,, during the warmer months (so far) we go to the river house a good bit but I still go when I am home. I do get exercise when I am away.. I plan to keep it up! And I am taking a yoga class in a few weeks to see if I like that too. Stretching seems to be a good fit for me! we are relaxing tonight!
(4)

Pam,

It does seem like we hit a certain age and we just can’t do as much as we did before!

Hope that you and hubby will be able to unwind this evening and not be too sore tomorrow!

Are you exercising daily? Five days? They aren’t open on the weekends, are they? Overall, we do feel better when we exercise. You’re doing a great job of being consistent.

I think I heard that the majority of people who make exercising more as their new year resolution ends up stopping shortly after they start.
(1)

Boy was today bizzare,, gonna whine and maybe that will make tomorrow better!!
DD's condo renters let her know the garbage disposal ( 7 mo old) came detached from the sink,,, and the dryer ( 15 YO old, so due) stopped heating. The disposal was a quick fix ( no charge from installer), and hubs went by and thinks he can fix the dryer, got the part and will do it Thurs. or she'll have to get a new dryer. The renters are sweet, so all good. Then I somehow threw out my back. Still went to exercise at the SC, just took it easy,, feeling a bit better now and having a massage tomorrow after class. Stopped by our local grocery that I normally do NOT go to, and grabbed 3 things. Showed 5 lanes open,, they were but only 1 cashier,, that the heck! So I go to self checkout, trying to lift my gallon of milk and sodas, with my back out. I am the only person at self checkout, with the "helper" watching me wince and all,,, nope, no help. Figures,,, Then hubs gets home from his shopping for house things ( some upgrades we needed) and he lucked into a mulch deal,, got 20 bags . The big box store always has some one to help load this stuff,, not today,, until he got to the LAST bag! So his hip is bugging him. And i dropped a full ( well it WAS full) bottle of Vit C serum into the sink.. At least it wasn't my meds! We are falling apart here!! On the plus side Sirius cut my bill in half with no hassle. Hope tomorrow goes better!
(4)

On my mind today... Everytime mom is sick or hurt she admittedly tells me not to tell my brother. Who has the POA.

Of course I very very strongly tell her, brother is on a need to know base, because of his job I don't want to bother him alot, but I decided weather or not he NEEDS to know, it never goes well.

Anyways Mom has been annoyed with me for something else. So I asked her today if she has been sick and if everything is all right. Her mood instantly changed, because she didn't want me telling my brother she isn't well. 😂

Not gonna use that often so she doesn't get smart to it but darn I'm proud of my sneakiness
(0)

Golden and Need, I’m sorry to hear you’ve both had such awful experiences.

I’ve lived in a city of 3 million, 500,000 and 200,000. I now live rural. Advantage: number of people around. Disadvantage: number of people around. There’s criminal activity everywhere.
(3)

Anxiety,

It’s sad and frightening to think about the possibility of being shot at for pulling up in a driveway.

My daughter and her friend accidentally turned into Drew Brees’ driveway. They had pulled into the driveway so they could turn the car around to drive in the opposite direction.

Well, his security team were on them immediately, asking them what they were doing.
(1)

Yeah we do have are issues in the country too. A sweet girl , got shot for pulling in the wrong driveway, just ten minutes from here. That was rough
(4)

Golden,

R sounds like a great guy. He doesn’t seem to let anything keep him down for long and he has been through quite a bit!

I like his determination to make the best out of a crappy situation. Of course, it helps that he has the support of a good woman standing beside him. Y’all make a good team!
(4)

gershun - what a loser!!! I understand that it is a total violation. I hope he is able to let it go too. I know some of the items that were taken were very important to him and he wanted to pass them on to his kids.

need - both you and your dd had dreadful experiences. I remember when your dd was assaulted. I can't imagine having a gun pointed at me, I'm glad you both survived pretty well. Not something you ever forget.

nacy - life in the country is safer still I think, though around here, farms and their equipment and vehicles are subject to theft by druggies. R had his Jag parked at the farm and they broke a window but didn't get the whole car.

Alva - thanks re the scans. The neighbour was supposed to shovel the walks but didn't so that indicated an empty house. It may have been a factor. I've read about the moving van theft. This wasn't far off. The neighbours dog went ballistic in the back again last night but by the time R got outside he saw nothing. They got in by using a pry bar on both front doors (the front porch is 1/2 glassed in) and also broke one of the small windows in the porch too high to be useful for gaining entrance. The police came out quickly and forensics too but we know the changes of catching anyone are low.

I'm feeling a little like we are walking on lily pads in crocodile infested waters. There is safety in spots but the whole picture is a bit daunting. I was so hoping that this year would be an easier one.

I need to count our blessings. R is ahead of his PT goals and that's great. We are living in a very safe community here at the condo. My phone wasn't working yesterday and I had an Amazon delivery coming and I need the phone to buzz the delivery person in. Got a knock at the door and a smiling young man said the driver was having trouble getting a hold if me, so he took my parcels and brought them up. He asked my name and introduced himself as "Jamie from 211." It's like a big extended family here - people look out for one another. It's a good feeling!
(6)

Golden,
Hoping scans all come back clear for R.
So sorry about the house.
The culprits do seem to know when places are empty and they go for it. When my friend N. died over a year ago, her executor had a TIME of it keeping squatters and robbers out of her home which finally had to be wired with good security and boarded up until sold. Was a mess to manage as the executor herself was three hours away. Neighbors tried, but by the time they noticed anything out of whack the damage was done.

We just had a case in SF where home was left for some short period and they drove up so blatantly with a moving van blocking the drive and were in for HOURS with the neighbor unable to get the police to even act on it. Get this, the reporting neighbor was an ex city Supervisor on the Board of Supervisors. The police on day shift did go in, and year, they were basically packing up the whole house. Two guys apprehended. And given our city not a blessed thing will happen to them.
(3)

Indeed Need............indeed. Sorry you had to experience what you did as well.
(2)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter