Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
If your mother-in-laws actions are recent occurrences they are a symptom of dementia. Someone should alert her primary care physician so to see if there is a medical explanation.
Early detection will make all medical problems easier to handle.
(0)

Hi, my Mother is in assisted living and she says the same thing...every day!! It's crazy stuff like toothbrush, used lipstick, etc. She re-arranges everything in her drawers each night. This is a result of the dementia and it is something you just have to get used to. Try reading the 36 Hour Day, it will help you understand the behaviors your Mother-in-Law is exhibiting. She truly believes people are stealing, and you can't try to explain or change her mind about it. I usually just say "I will see about it" or "I will speak to them about it", or simply change the subject. If you try to dispute what she is saying or argue, it will do no good, it will just agitate her, and as a result agitate you too. Calm is the name of the game, whatever it takes! I empathize with you and wish you the best.
(0)

It never seems to work when we try to apply rational thinking to irrational behaviors. I remember that my grandmother used to repeat things over and over again to my mother. My mother, bless her, used to remind her, in a gentle tone, that they had already discussed that.

Best solution is to tune it out. Perhaps think of other more pleasant things while she is talking. That way, she gets to vent and you will not be taking the ramblings seriously.

I often have to remind myself that a senior's world gets increasingly smaller with age. And, in this culture, we tend to islolate seniors, then expect them to carry on, what we deem, normal conversations.
good luck
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter