Follow

I've seen a noticeable decline in my mother since 2016, she has also admitted "forgetting" a lot. But she refuses to get tested.
One of my siblings was nice enough to drive my mother's car with her belongings from Illinois to Indy, a week later my husband and I went to go get my mother and her other vehicle (a truck). Once my mother went through her car she said my sister had stolen her bedding and microwave from her car.
6 months ago my husband and myself helped her move into her new apt.
(55 and up community) 2 days later she told me my husband had stole $200 worth of her bedding and a microwave (yes the same things she accused my sister of stealing). I went and paid her for the missing items thinking it would make things better (of course it didn't).
Christmas Eve my sister (a different sister) and I receive separate calls from our mother telling us do not come by for Christmas, she doesn't want any gifts and she's moving back to Illinois because someone in Indy keeps stealing from her. She would not tell us who it was.
Well Christmas Day she calls me in a happy mood, I assume the "drama" had pass
This morning she tells me that my daughter has been stealing from her since this time as well and even a couple of years ago, when she was in Illinois.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Your mother is sick. Sick with some type of mental decline, that needs to be diagnosed, and addressed. She can't help it, when she accuses family members from stealing from her. In her mind, she believes it to be true. You need to try and not take it so personal. This happens ALL the time with people suffering from many of the dementias and Alzheimer's. If you are going to continue to care for her, you must learn to live in her world, warped as it is. That is the only way you will survive. You might want to start educating yourself about dementia/Alzheimer's, so you can learn better ways to respond and react when she starts her accusations. You getting mad and blowing her off, isn't going to make the situation better or change it. She needs help. Probably more than you are equipped to handle. First step is to get her to a Dr. Hopefully one of you are her medical and durable POA, and can give the Dr a heads up on what's been going on with mom, before the appt. either via the patient portal or by phone. Wishing you the best, and please just take a deep breath.
(2)

This is very common in dementia. I would caution you against moving your mother in with you. She may soon require placement in something more than a senior living complex. She should soon be having a neuro-psyc workup to see if she has dementia, and to identify type and staging.
(1)

Accusations of theft are a common thing in people with dementia. It is unfortunate and even if you can easily prove that they were incorrect, they will cling to the accusations.
(2)

The first thing that needs to happen is that mom needs to get tested for a Urinary Tract Infection. In elders, UTIs can cause behavioral/psychiatric symptoms.

So rule that out first/

Have you been in touch with her doctor?
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter