Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Sell it and move away.
(0)

Kirsty, i had a similar situation with my brother. Finally, i told him I'd helped him all I could and he needed to find a new place by the weekend. He found somewhere else to go!
(0)

What is it with parents of a certain generation (hello baby boomers)? I had a similar thing happen where my mother said to me, "I need to get out of town for a couple days. Can I visit you?" I said I really didn't have space but if she was going to be in town, she could stay for a "couple days." I was very specific. Turns out, she had moved out of her apartment, packed up her car and showed up at my house with all her stuff, no plan, no money and nowhere else to go. 8 months later, I had to move out to get rid of her. Moreover, I had to stay with a friend so she couldn't come with me. Guess what? She found an apartment and a job when that happened. People will get away with whatever you let them. It sucks because it's your mother and you don't want to be a bad person or see her living on the street or something. At the same time, I promise you this will go on forever until you change the program.
(4)

I totally agree with MountThor. My mom and younger sister lived with my oldest sister for 10+ years while I traveled from different family members and friends houses until I went away for school. Once out of school I lived with my mom and younger sister till I found my own place no more than a year after moving in. A month or two later my mom moved in with me because she was then unable to afford her apartment alone. This went on for 4+ years till I lost my apartment which I didn't ask for any help with just that she saved her money and found her own place. So anywho once I lost my apartment I ended up moving in with my boyfriend and his mother and my mom was forced to stay with my oldest sister again. However my mom then left my sisters house saying that it was too uncomfortable for them to be there ( my mom and little sister). So once they left there they slept in the car rented rooms when money would permit and I would allow my mom to come over whenever I was home alone to rest her feet shower and eat. And once I got back into my own place my mom followed me to my new apartment and was back to her old routine. (Just drama) so I explained to her that it wasn't working out and that she would need to find somewhwere to go by this time my little sister had a job so she began renting a room for a coworker and my mom moved in with my grandma. So for a year we had free reign over our apartment. However my grandmother became ill and passed away and my mother came back and this time was worst than ever between the disrespect, rude comments, and the attitude I can't stand it anymore I am at my wits end with this woman I love her and I've tried helping her get a job but nothing works. Now that she is ill I really do feel bad but at the same time I need my sanity and happiness. Why is it so hard to emancipate my mother and to stop this cycle once and for all.
(0)

Is your mom mentally ill? It sounds as though you need to start out by getting her qualified for medical and social assistance so that she will have acces to a caseworker.
(2)

AA if she has a situation. Volunteer - adult day care - get her involved in something...adult day care...Call Salvation army see if they have any suggestions, 211 social services? not sure, haven't called them....SEnior living places or assisted living places need volunteers, to read, to talk, to be present....She can do this a few hours a week....Maybe she will figure it out....Get her a puppy and tell her she has to take her for walks...Role reversal has begun in your life a little too soon...but she must have been a good mother at some point,,,,sounds like you made good choices....
(0)

My mother asked if she could stay with me because her boyfriend was kicking her out. Now she has crossed the line and I would rather have her on the street. No one who has said the things that she said has remained in my life for long...
(2)

You're supposed to be in charge, so take your house back. No one should be giving you orders in your own home. In the meantime, speak with a Community Affairs officer for guidance and search for shelters that actually help women put their lives together.

Push comes to shove, give her a 30-day notice.
(3)

I would also check into homeless shelters for women. We have a great one her in Iowa, and they have classes the women go to, such as budgeting, looking for a job, and all kinds of self-reliant needs. She needs to go to somewhere like that where they will help her find a job and an apartment. You cannot support her forever. I would call the shelter, make sure they have a bed available, and pack her stuff and take her there. It sounds harsh, but tough love is what she needs. She is being incredibly selfish and you do not owe her your life, your money and your marriage.
(2)

Spam.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter