Follow

No question, just wanted to share. My mom was a fighter, always. She was a breast cancer survivor. When she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2009, she started this fight. She made it all the way to Stage 7f. She was on hospice for over a year and kept fighting. Two weeks ago she started a downward spiral. A week and a half ago, she showed all signs of having a small stroke. Seven days ago she stopped swallowing all food and water. Three days ago she went to sleep. Early this morning, while I was holding her hand and stroking her hair, she took her last breath in this Earth. It was peaceful and she had a small smile on her face. I know she is with her Heavenly Father, Jesus, her parents, and she is at peace. I appreciate this site and all of you. I gained much information, as well as knowing I was not alone in this journey.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Grammyteacher, I did the same thing. During the week of her passing I wonder if we over medicated her. She was somewhat responsive after her stroke but then she faded away. Of course they had her heavily medicated. I wondered if she could have been responsive longer. I also questioned my decision not to take her to the hospital when she had her stroke (she had CHF and made me promise never to take her back to a hospital). I feel in my heart I made the right decisions but I wish I knew for sure. I guess I will never know until I can ask her one day....You are right, second guessing comes with the territory. It helps to know others go through this too. God bless.
(1)

Lovemymomma,
I think each person goes on there own terms. Your mom knows you love her. You made sure she was safe and cared for. As a mom, I know I want my children to take care of themselves too. I am sure our moms felt that way too.

I feel guilty about many things I shouldn't. While my mom was slipping away, I was second guessing the meds I was giving her when she was showing definite signs of pain. I never wanted to over medicate and never wanted her in pain. I even had my son in law, an anesthesiologist, come show me the signs to look for to know if she was in pain. I think it just goes with caregiving, second guessing, guilt, concern, etc. I find them a part of parenting too, uuugh. We can just do our best.
(2)

My heartfelt sympathy to you and your family for the passing of your Mom.
(1)

I’m so sorry for your loss. Your mom was blessed to have you, as you were to have her. I wish you peace and comfort in the days ahead
(1)

Grammy, thank you for your post. I lost my dear mother 7 weeks ago. I still find myself drawn to this website even though I am no longer in need of advice. It is strange. I gained a lot of support from here. I still feel lingering guilt that I wasn't there when mom passed. She also had dementia and suffered a stroke and was on hospice. I relive a lot of that last week wishing I had done some things differently. After being with her for four days straight I felt like I had to get away, so I left her in good hands and went to work. I had told her goodbye many times and that it was ok to go. Well she did about an hour after I left. I wish I had stayed. I feel a lot of guilt over that. People say she was waiting for me to leave but I will never know that and it torments me. It is so strange that after four years of caring for her she is no longer here. All of the anxiety, frustrations, exhaustion and worry over caring for her....they are gone, and now I just miss her.
(4)

My deepest condolences to you. How lucky you both were to share such a bond.
(2)

"It was peaceful and she had a small smile on her face. I know she is with her Heavenly Father, Jesus, her parents, and she is at peace."

Grammyteacher - I know you are right. May peace be with you, too. (((Hug)))
(3)

Very sorry for your loss. May God bless,
(1)

Grammy,
Sorry for your loss.

Mountainmoose,
A week tomorrow,,,,,,sorry too for your loss.
(1)

Grammy, I am so sorry for your loss.
(2)

Grammy, I am so sorry on the loss of your mother, a sister in Christ. I haven’t been on this site as long as some of you, but I have come to enjoy your posts and now feel as though there has been a death in the family. Lately, there have been a few.
I hope you continue to come back to give of your experience as so many still do even though their loved ones are no longer with us.
(1)

Stage 7? Wow! She must really be a strong person, and a strong as well as determined fighter.

I have a feeling you've gained a lot of her strength. Notstanding that, I'm sorry for the loss but pleased for all the inspiration I'm thinking you gained from her.
(2)

Grammy, my condolences. I’m so glad the end was peaceful for your mom.
(1)

Oh, Grammy, my condolences. I can see your Mom's smile on her face as my mom had one too when she passed on Sunday. May sweet memories of your mother bring you comfort and peace.
(2)

grammy - my deepest condolences on your loss. She was an amazing survivor. You did all anyone could to be there for your mum. I am so glad the end of her days was peaceful. (((((hugs))))
(3)

Grammy, I'm sorry for your loss. Glad that you were with her to the end!
(2)

Oh, Grammy, bless your heart for being with her thru her final journey.
(2)

Grammy, I'm sorry for your loss. You're mother was fortunate that she had you by her side.
(2)

I'm sorry for your loss, I'm glad you were able to be by her side to see her through to a peaceful end.
(3)

Hi Grammy, Thank you for sharing. You walked side by side with your Mom on THE most difficult journey. God bless you both.
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter