Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3
My 90 year old mother in law and would not have it any other way! I was not fortunate enough to have my mother long as she passed at the age of 36 but you can best believe when the time comes I will GLADLY take in my father without so much as second thought. If my dogs were an issue not a problem they would go and stay with my brother and I would still provide their food. See this what REAL FAMILIES do! We come together to care for our own. Those who gave us life we do just throw out like the trash. I sincerely hope that your children don't feel about you the way you feel about your parents but usually the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree. Don't know about the rest of humanity I just know what I read here and responded to that.

Oh and for the record my parents took in my grandfather for a time until his passing and I have to believe that he was far happier as a result.
(0)

A320PYLT I hope that is what you do -- live with dogs. We each deserve to live our lives by our own standards.

Who are you caring for? Do they love dogs, too? What if they didn't? Or had allergies? Would you give up your dogs for them?

Just curious.

Must feel good to know what is right for all of humanity.
(5)

Wow some of these post are shameful. These are the very same people that gave birth to you, saw you through sickness and injuries. These are the people that fed and clothed you and for many that put you through private school and college. I am disgusted by the mere thought of putting parents out or sending them to some home to be among strangers awaiting their final call home. This is a classic example of why humanity is such a mess. I would rather live with dogs than most humans.
(0)

Pappie - what happens next depends on who has power of attorney in the family. If it's not you, then you're off the hook. Just because she wants what she wants doesn't mean that's what's going to happen.

Sounds like she needs to be evaluated for dementia.
My mother was the same way, but she had mental illness before dementia.

It will help if you're all a united front about mom. If it's not safe for her to live alone, then she has to go where she will be safe - the end. That does not have to be anybody's home. She could go into a senior residence. You all have rights and some boundaries are in order here.

She will be mad most likely. There are a lot worse things than mad. Having her in an unsafe situation is a lot worse than her being ticked off. Part of brain degeneration is the loss of emotional controls and filters, so they will start acting like petulant little children having a tantrum. You have to look beyond that behavior and see what's really going on there.

Some will use these techniques as an avoidant behavior. Being mean usually works to keep people away. The logic is child-like. If I can avoid talking or dealing with this scary complicated thing, then it's not happening.

If mom is no longer able to keep herself clean, cook safely, prepare & handle food safely, take her medicine correctly, and is not really in touch with reality, then she can't stay home alone anymore. But again - none of you adult children with established lives do not need to move in to fill in the gaps. I can promise you that would be a disaster.
(0)

My mom is 91 years old and we have let her live in her own home despite her demands that one of her children take her to live with them. My Dad died five years ago and since then she has been a pain in the a**. She has no friends, does not like to go anywhere to make them. Wants to be with one of her children all the time and she does not realize it is trying on the children's spouses to spend all their free time with her. She has lived her life and we probably will not be so lucky to live 91 years. She is very selfish and we cannot share anything we do with others for fear she becomes more obstinate and mean towards us. She views our life as great and her's is terrible. I would rather be dead near by father's grave than have her live with me.
(2)

wow my hats of to all of you .........ive been there done that .........and doing that again this time in my life I have met an fell in love with my soul mate an after only 2 short years of being together BOOM her mother gets ill and moves in with us now her health is better but totally controls my girlfriends life ........it makes me want to explode cuz shes constantly wanting to know our business and tortures my girlfriend with the poor pitiful me act that I totally see right thru ......a nursing home would never be an option since we both work at one but it seems shes taking over and its just NOT FAIR..........im about to blow and when I do its not gonna be a happy day for her .........I just know my girlfriend will be the one feeling the brunt of it because its gonna be the pity act all over again stay strong folks good luck to each and every one of u
(1)

My goodness! It feels like when it rains, it pours. Glad to hear your mom's in a safe place getting good care.
(0)

paula55, a lot has occurred since the original post (and my apologies to all for my novella.....). My BIL had just passed, my sister's health was compromised and we learned our mom's "good" leg was far worse than we'd known. She was unsafe and miserable at home alone, refused to take any precautions. My sister could no longer care for her or live with her, I was unable to care for her fulltime and my husband finally said enough. That summer, my sister and I moved her into a lovely assisted living (AL) facility. We basically gave her no options - since she's intertwined our three lives years ago, we had to start making decisions including our needs as well. Despite her complaints, she made friends, went on outings and had 24 hour backup.

Two years later, she suffered a couple of TIA's and was in the hospital. While she was there, we learned she had other previously unknown health issues, including CHF. A team of docs and therapists (OT,PT) determined she needed a higher level of care and she was moved to a skilled nursing facility for rehab, then long term care. She's been there 18 months.

She's now in a wheelchair, her vision is diminished, they take good care of her and keep the CHF under control. She's mightily unhappy, part because of aging body, part because she hates the place, part because she can't just do what she's always done and part because she thinks all will be fine if she were in her hometown. For a myriad of reasons (family dynamics, sister's health, weather considerations, etc.), she's in my city. My sister did so much for our folks (Dad had AD), that it was my turn so she could get healthy, emotionally as much as physically.

There was some serious help from above, in that each transition for her coincided with one for us. While she was in AL, my sister and I were able to get our strength back for our next phases. Hers was dealing with health and job stress, mine was my husband's PD diagnosis and the life changes there. In fact, her transition to NH came one month after his PD diagnosis. Because she is cared for and safe, I am able to focus on him. As my MIL's health declined, I've been able to give the inlaws backup.
(4)

I noticed that in jan 2011 linda22 stated about her mother living with her. I wondered how the situation resolved. I find myself in that situation, the same as how you described it, the only difference my sister passed away so I'm the only one left to help my mom. She lives with us and I find it was a hugh mistake! I would love to hear from you linda22.
(0)

jeannegibbs: Thank you so much for the encouragement. I need to look into it more, I think. It seems like so little, but if there really are subsidies, that would be a tremendous help. She truly makes my life miserable. And I hate to say this - because I know in some ways it is a blessing - but she's really healthy, which means she could live with me for at least 10 more years! I turn 40 this year and can't believe some of the best times of my life could be spent being upset with this person in my home. I am getting closer to wanting her out. Her reticence toward obeying the rules (no alcohol in my home) is forcing the issue sooner than later.
(3)

Gensies, my mother had (and still has) $800 in SS as her only income. She lived in a subsidized senior apartment building for many years, toward the end with lots of social support. She now lives in an old but very caring nursing home, near two of my sisters.

This is just to point out that our social safety nets are not so bad that old people with limited income have to live on the street. Your mother CAN live somewhere else, and it can be perfectly adequate. She can get the kind of help she needs. For example, when my mom couldn't safely cook she got meals on wheels.

I suggest you go back to the counselor who helped you before, and also that you give up the notion that there are no other options for your mother.
(5)

Hi everyone. I'm new here... My mom, 81, moved in with us six years ago to allegedly help with my newborn baby. While she's a warm body to be there with our daughter, now 6, she is not very nice. She watches Fox News 24-7 and wants to constantly argue about anything and everything. She is critical about everything I do and care about. I finally saw a counselor three years ago to help me deal with the anger and frustration. (My sister was supposed to help by having our mom stay with her every so often but that's fallen by the wayside now that our mom has become such a nasty piece of work.)

It's gotten better, but now we have to have this argument every 6 to 8 months about alcohol in the home. My mom is basically an alcoholic and agreed twice already not to drink in the home. After half a year or so of being fine, she starts to buy those four-pack bottles of wine to have at home on nights we're out for dinner. It is awful to have to have the same fight every time. She gets angry with me and becomes sullen. She starts ignoring me in my own home and makes it generally uncomfortable for any of us in the house. (She only talks to my husband and our daughter. She goes out of her way to treat me badly.)

I am so angry again. I am sick of paying for her cell phone (unlimited minutes because she REFUSED to honor the time limitations so as to save us money) and everything else. She buys some of her own groceries, but for the most part sits at the table with us and eats whatever we make because she's decided she won't be cooking any longer, other than simple things for herself.

Anyway, I'm pregnant again and am due in June. I am so bummed out that I have to have such an unpleasant presence in the home. I feel so frustrated!!! I feel trapped. She has a very fixed income ($800 for social security) and can't live on her own. Ugh.
(1)

I am just starting here. After I drop my son off at school, I come home and stay in my car for a while to cry or have quiet before I have to feed her. She has decided my cooking is either not the way she prefers, or too large a serving. My cake was too soft.,,,, it never stops. The e cigs don't work. I don't take her outside often enough to smoke.
(0)

I have my narcissistic mother living with us and I am so sad that she is stealing me away from my autistic child. She likes to be the center and is so needy.
(0)

bebe,I'm the original poster (about 4 years ago) and sandwich42's comments are spot on. I've come to think of guilting someone as an intentional act of cruelty. The person is purposely evoking negative emotions in you to manipulate you into do as they wish. Usually they do this when you are resisting taking this action, and often they use an implied or stated "if you love me, you'd do X". This isn't a very loving thing to do.

Like sandwich, I've quit expecting some things, and accepted some others. My mom will never change. She will always have unreasonable expections of my sister and I, and life in general. She doesn't choose to be happy and we aren't responsible for her happiness, especially as the efforts are futile. And the hardest thing to accept has been that the whole loving, doting mom was an act to get us to do as she wished. It turns out that we could be cast aside as she did friends who no longer did as she wanted. I can't tell you how many times we've been thrown under the bus.

My suggestion to you would be determine what you and your husband need to have happen. Research senior living options for her, a doctor to help her get a handle on the depression. Stay calm and detached when you discuss it - don't get pulled into a big emotional blowup - she'll be pulling out all the stops. Bear in mind that narcissistic moms don't put their spouses or kids first, so she will be expecting you to put her before your husband.

I wish I could tell you that at some point, the struggle lessens. But all you can do is take it one struggle at a time.

We're all sending you vibes for strength and calm.
(2)

Bebe84 - You don't have to accept the guilt mom dumps at your door. There's a saying that mom pushes the buttons she installed, and it's true. Mom has GO. G - O go. GO Go GO.

My mom is a narcissist and has tried to control every aspect of my being for my 40+ years on this earth. I got away for a good number by marrying somebody 1800 miles away.

My husband's mother moved in with us for 6 months once, and then my own mother lived with us for a month in 2013. Both of them had no intentions of going anywhere once they landed, but neither one was compatible with sanity, comfort, or a harmonious home. They had to G-O, go!

You and your husband need to form a united front and explain how it's going to be to your mom. It will be ugly. She will be angry. Just expect it to go over like a lead balloon. She may rant, rage, pout, or even be silent. (I never got lucky and got the silent treatment - if only.)

You guys are YOUNG and deserve to live in a peaceful, harmonious home. You deserve personal time. You deserve to be alone.

If she is still in her right mind, you can do this several ways.

1. Eviction notice. You have to go and you have to be gone by x/x or your stuff will be on the lawn. We had to do this to my mother in law. Lady, if you want grandkids, you need to move out.

2. The obnoxious route. Make life uncomfortable for her. Walk around naked. Have loud sex - often. Play loud music. Invite a ship load of drunken sailors over to play strip charades.

3. Subtle approach. Go with her on tours of some local senior-only apartment buildings. Usually on tours, they'll feed you lunch and she can get a good feel for the place.

4. Combo Platter. Some of all of the above. We stopped tiptoeing around my mother and stopped catering to her every demand. If you're going to be in my house, you're going to have to adjust to it, not the other way around.

You are not responsible for your mother's happiness in life. I had to be over 40 to learn that. I saw to my mom's safety and well being and that was it. We put her in a senior apartment with add on services. She was OK until she realized I wasn't going to be there, camped at her knee 24/7/365. I have a career, a home to clean, kids to wrangle, and a husband to cherish.

I quit expecting my mom to respect me as a separate human being. She's incapable of it. I quit expecting her to understand I have more obligations that she does. I quit expecting her to be reasonable about anything because it just wasn't going to happen.

The book Surviving the Borderline Mother really helped me out. And putting her into a nice reasonable senior place!
(0)

Your mother can absolutely refuse to live on her own. But you have some rights, too. Like the right to absolutely refuse to have her continue living with you. Your house. You decide who can live there. You can help Mom find other living conditions, or she can do it on her own. But make it clear that she has 90 days to make other arrangements.

That is, if you really want the situation to end. If you value your health more than you fear her disappointment. If your marriage is the most important relationship in your life.

If you don't want to take charge of your living arrangements, expect this to go on for another 30 to 40 years. I guarantee you that Mother is not going to wake up some morning and decide she'd like to move out.
(2)

I've been reading through some of the posts on here, & I thank you all for being so open & honest about how hard it is to be a caregiver to a parent. I am 31, been married only 3 years and at the same time I got married my dad died. My mom went into a serious depression, that to this day she is still struggling with. Well, needless to say she is living with us and has been for the last year or better. Everything was relatively ok at first, but now all hell has broke loose. She is always making me feel bad about doing things with my husband, like date nights, etc. She has to be EVERYWHERE I am no matter what I'm doing. If I have a "talk" with her about her behavior, MAJOR guilt trip. Now my husband is starting to get aggravated with the whole thing because the stress is starting to effect my health. So now we all live in one big ball of stress in my house....where my mom thinks everything is just peachy & doesn't see that she's doing anything wrong. I've found myself crying more too...which is unlike me. I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm so fed up, but she's only 60 and absolutely refuses to live on her own. *sigh* :( why, at 30 & newly married, am I going through this already? I don't mean to whine...it's just so hard.
(3)

Livid DerryK, why are you continuing to live with this woman?
(1)

Sorry. That was meant to read, Narcissim and Alzheimers are the rewards to this woman who was given everything and gave NOTHING. ........she wants her third breakfast NOW., l didn't proofread , this before l posted it. Now Now Now! she yells............no, l am not angry. I am livid.
(0)

I am sixty two years old, my husband is sixty five. My mother in law is eighty nine and has Alzheimers. She is, and has always been, viscious, deceitful, manipulative and Narcissistic. There comes a point in time when you realize that custodial care is all the patient requires. There is nothing l can do to make this woman happy, l have tried. She will probably outlive us both, because she thrives on ugliness. She is her own reward. After forty years of insulting me about my appearance ( l was a fashion designer, a very successful career woman, and no one else ever found anything other than complimentary words to describe my appearance ).......She is obese, a slob, mean and cruel, and she wears her huge underpants over her pajamas. Karma is a............and so is she. I have never had a problem like this with ANY one else. Save yourself. Don't keep trying to please someone who won't be pleased. I have two daughters. I cannot , for the life of me, imagine being so selfish that l would ask them to spend every one of their waking moments at my beck and call. I did not "give" birth so that l could run and ruin their lives. Narcissim and Alzheimers are the rewards to this woman who was given evrrything and gave NOTHING.

them to spend their lives pacifying and placating me. There is plenty of svientr
(0)

Linda put head down bit you lip and carry on ,My mum who is 85 lives with me and my husband now for 17 years ,my dad died 5years ago ,I don't work I gave it up to look after mum ,my mother is driving me nuts,I've got no life at all, I have no one I'm very lonley ,and sometimes think what's the point in carrying on never let a parent live with you will regret it, I used to love her very much,now I hate her .
(1)

Lillie, is your situation now easy? What have you got to lose by insisting Mom see a doctor?
(0)

I fear the only way I am going to get her treatment is to issue an ultimatum . It won't go easy :(
(0)

Lillie, will she go to the doctor if you tell her it's required by her insurance company, or Obamacare? The doc canprescribe for a "chemical imbalance" just a thought.
(1)

My mom came to live with my husband and me after my dear dad died of cancer. We live in a large house, and she has an apartment with a separate entrance. She is sad and depressed, never got through grieving for him. She has a majorly dependent personality and has fixed her dysfunction on me.

She has no friends and doesn't do anything except fidget around the house. She is physically well for the most part, and does a good share of chores. Ladies have tried to befriend her but she wants no friends.

My problem is that she sneaks around, snoops and stalks and eavesdrops. I used to be able to take refuse in my garden but she peeks around corners and wants to "help". . She watches me and wants to help or makes inane comments on what I'm doing. She is driving me nuts!

She fidgets all day with my dogs: feeds them, puts them out, takes them in 5 minutes later, has to report their bladder and bowel habits in detail. Mostly because she has nothing else to do.

She needs medical treatment for depression and to get a life of her own. She refuses medical help because she's "not crazy". Well hell yes she is.

Lately I am so conflicted and guilty wishing for her to be gone.

Thanks for a place to vent!
(0)

p.s. forgot to mention this is an old thread....copy and paste your story to a new question/discussion. We are here to support each other and many are and have been exactly in your situation. Best wishes!
(0)

You need to contact your local senior services and find out what she may be eligible for if you plan to keep her at home. Also, check in home care providers to get relief a least a couple of days a week.

There is no asking siblings. Most people have to be told what kind of help you need and given a schedule. Have a family meeting and make a plan that involves everyone. If they can't physically help, they certainly should provide some financial assistance if your Mom doesn't have money. I feel non-helping siblings can at least provide you a couple of long weekends each month all to yourself!

This is more than one person can handle 24/7. It may well be time for assisted living or nursing home. You have to take care of yourself first and husband should be your primary responsibility. The two of you earned the right to enjoy these retirement years.
(0)

My Mother has bee with me for 3 years. I am 61. Retired 5 years ago and basically have not been able to enjoy retirement. Used to enjoy my Mom's company. Now I hid in the basement to get away from her. She has dementia. I have to tell her to take pills, wash hair etc. etc. She said she is sick of me telling her what to do. It is fruitless. I lost my life as i knew it. I tell my husband to go. He plays golf and goes to cards etc. I only ask my siblings for about 3 days out in a month and still can't get the help I need. I lost my friends, I lost my life, I feel so alone I can't even stand getting up in the morning because my day will consist of cleaning up after everyone, make beds, get her bath ready. Get her clothes ready, tell her to take her pills, get meals, finally take my shower and get a coffee(it is now 1 pm) and I haven't eaten. then she will tell me how she is sick of me treating her like the kid. This just isn't fair. I am a Mom. I don't expect my only child to give up the rest of his life to be miserable and take care of me. I am lost and depressed and just don't have any answers anymore!
(0)

sorry but i regret the day i moved in my with my mother-in-law. or let her move in with us...we lived in our house first after her husband had to be put into nursing home for violent dementia. she is selfish and takes advantage of me. i hate everyday i have to take care of her after years and years of constant care and begging for my two weeks outta of 4 yrs away from her...i have had enough! she has two daughters and my husband...her son...let them wipe her butt .feed her...bathe her...listen to her constant complaits..i have done my share...i am almost 50 she is 77...she just doesnt want to even try and help herself..sick to death of this...first of all she didnt give birth to me...wipe my butt..or raise me...i have taken excellent care of her....been kind and loving...but i cant handle this anymore....its about to destroy my marriage..my health has declined...and i dont want to do it anymore i am exhausted!!...so i guess i am the bad guy here.
(2)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter