Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I am praying that Almighty God continue to bless you each and everyday​and that he continue to protect you. Have you tried contacting Social Services ( Institute on Aging) in your state. They can provide you with bonded caregivers who deal with care recipients with medical issues. Please try to care of yourself.
(1)

Ive read this over and over..I couldn't look after mom I'm in wheelchair but did get a couple of PSWs then I see mom couple of times a week. You really need a break. I promised Mom I wouldn't put her in home too so this seemed best solution and saved my sanity..I feel so bad for you..call family and tell them you can't do it alone
(0)

Get her into a Skilled Nursing home that meets your approval. Get rid of the guilt, too. You've done enough. Do you want the next 20 years of your life to look like THIS, and maybe even worse, as your mother continues to decline? And continues to blame YOU for her condition? Come on. Where is it written that a 'child' has to give up her entire LIFE to care for a mother in such bad health and physical condition? It's just too much.

Get her placed, then go visit as often as you'd like to alleviate any 'guilt' you may feel as a result. There is nothing to be 'terrified' about in the least, either. SNFs are a fact of life these days for LOTS of people. My mother lives in Memory Care now and will be going to a SNF if she's still alive when her money runs out and she needs Medicaid. She's 92 now, going on 93. Longevity runs in her family. She's the last of 8 children and will probably live to 100. The SNF she's planning to go to she likes a lot; they have a great activities program and large, airy and sunny rooms with large baths. Put the thought out of your mind that SNFs are such horrible places and OMG, I could NEVER put my mother in such a place!!! Go look around, do your homework, and find one you like.

Or, call your dear brothers on the phone. Let them know what your plan is, and that they can feel free to have mother come live with THEM. You've done your share.

It's time to cry uncle.
(3)

You are a wonderful daughter and caregiver. I too am solo. We may never get a Thank you. I dont know you. I am proud of you and myself for being there for our Moms. I look at it this way. Im giving back to my Mom for loving and caring for me all my life. It takes a really strong person to do what we do and how we do it. 😉🙂💕
God Bless You
(0)

Your brothers get it. They have lives, they likely told mom she needed to be in the nursing home, and she likely told them off. They let her be and make her own decisions.

You on the other hand, were the tender hearted girl us daughters tend to be. There's nothing wrong with that until you give up your life for hers. That's where you are. I would strongly advise against having the several days of in home care- she needs 24/7 care with a full team of workers.

Do you realize that the nursing home aide job has a lot of turnover because it is so demanding, and that's only 40 hours a week? You are doing more than 4x that amount of work - 168 hours! It's time for you to take care of yourself, to give mother better care with a fresh shift of helpers every 8 hours, and to become a daughter again. A loving, fresh, sweet daughter who is not changing diapers, lifting a heavy mom, or really resenting the words out of mom's mouth.

I know it's hard to make the change, but it is very much worth it for both you and your mom. Many moms thrive once they are pushed into the nursing homes where they develop friendships and interests they could not have in isolation at home.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter