Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Roscoe, if your mother will not go voluntarily to see a psychiatrist, you can attempt to have her involuntarily committed to a psych ward in a hospital for an evaluation by a magistrate if you ever feel that she is a danger to her self or to someone else like yourself.

I agree with Babalou, there is something else going on here. It may be mental illness only made worse by dementia. She is not a healthy person to have taken your life completely over since you were 15, 40 years ago when your dad died. She has not been a good mother to you and you have been far too good of a son.
(1)

Its too bad you let your mom control your life! My father did the same thing and I know he regretted it. My father had a heart problem because his mom took him to visit a person with rheumatic fever. My grandmother forced him to lift her which was strenous because she was not light. This happened when she dropped a pill on the floor and she fell trying to get it. She chased away girls from my dad by making lies up about him. She hated my mother because she stayed with my dad. Anyway he lifted her and afterward he got sicker. He had a terrible stroke and lived in the nursing until he died. He was never allowed to do what he wanted because his mom would not let him. Get out of there and put her in a nursing home so you can live your life how you want!
(0)

How do I motivate other family members to help me financially or take some of the responsibility. I am the youngest of 6, but it all falls on me. I must give my 2 brothers credit, they help me financially when they can. My sisters are a*holes. Seldom visit: one sister hasn't been here in 18 months and lives less than 2 miles away. shame on my sisters.
When something happens to mom, I no longer have sisters.
Sad that I feel this way, don't you agree?
(2)

sosannagh - the short answer is that you can't. People make their own decisions and you can't change them. There are many stories here about siblings who contribute nothing and some about those who are not involved unless it is to criticize. I am glad your bros are helping as they can. I will write my sis off once mother passes too. I don't need the negative input. You are not alone. It is sad.
(4)

sosannagh, yes, this is sad, but unfortunately not unusual.

Shame on your sisters, yes. But to live so close and choose not to visit one's mother means there is definitely something wrong. Maybe Sis's childhood relationship to your parents was very different than you were aware. It is possible that this estrangement is as much your mother's fault as your sister's. Have you ever discussed the issue with Sis? Or maybe Sis has a mental health problem. Or maybe she really is just an a*hole.

Whatever the cause of this rift, you need to write off your sisters in relation to caregiving. Sad? OMG yes!

It sounds like you have some challenges with financial resources. If you want some input about that, start a new topic. Lots of people here can share experiences with that. Are you in the US? It is helpful to know that so we don't advise you to use US resources if that isn't applicable. So mention where you are if you start a new topic.
(2)

Please, please, PLEASE, for your own mental and physical well-being, look into placing her into a skilled nursing facility!
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter