Follow

My elderly mom with dementia tested positive for COVID today, her and her caregiver. First, she had a fever without any other symptoms, then she had a sore throat, then she lost her appetite. Her vital signs are ok. She doesn’t eat much. Her caregiver also is positive for COVID. She is not aware of what is going on. Barely talks and is hard of hearing. She is in her 90s. She has diabetes but it is under control. She is taking Antibiotics. Her caregiver is also taking medications to treat the virus. Any suggestions are appreciated.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
😂😂😂
(0)

Uhm.. Paxlovid is not supposed to prevent covid19, it's meant to reduce symptoms and make the disease manageable and less apt to progress to severe illness, just like Tamiflu does for influenza (but of course you probably don't believe in that either).
(8)

Paxlovid is not effective against covid. Just ask fauci. He took it and then got covid a second time. It is a worthless drug that needs to be removed from the market.
(0)

Take the suggestions of Mom's MD, not a Forum for starts.
There may be a reason she cannot take paxlovid; her MD can suggest whether or not appropriate for her given her age and her current meds, but once the five day window is over she cannot make the choice.
Someone needs to shop and deliver meals to Mom and caregiver as well as in home test.
There need to be an O2 Oximeter there, cheap at under 20.00 in any pharmacy. Measure O2 and report to MD on his instructions when numbers fall below the number he or she gives you.
Any difficulty breathing is an emergent situation. Dependent on your Mom's wishes for DNR and ventilator you either would or would not hospitalize.
Of course you know anyone visiting should have N95 mask on.
wishing you good luck.
(0)

There are antiviral medications now (kind of like Tamiflu) that help a great deal if given in the first few days of the infection. Contact Mom's doctor to see if she can have those prescribed.

If she's been vaxxed and boosted, she should breeze through it pretty well. It seems everyone I know is getting it now, but they're calling it a really bad cold that makes you exhausted. The ones ending up in the hospital are the unvaxxed ones or with comorbidities.

My mom had the Delta version most likely, and she wasn't yet vaxxed thanks to the hamhanded rollout when they finally got them. She made it through the original infection pretty well, but she did have some pretty unpleasant long-Covid symptoms until she died.
(1)

My first concern like CW, is the caregiver able to provide the care mom needs?
(0)

Is the caregiver living in, and is she well enough to provide your mother with care? Is the doctor aware of her positive test and directing her care?
(1)

Is she taking antivirals for Covid or antibiotics for some other bacterial infection? I would think that she would qualify for the former.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter