Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Staffbull, I am sorry that you are having to go through all of this turmoil all at once. Sadly, many of us have found that the care of the parents is done by the daughter. I am sure that your Dad appreciated that you took care of him and that your Mom appreciates all that you do for her.

Thank you for clarifying that your brother is selling HIS house and farm and having a Farm Sale on July 8 & 9, 2018 (and NOT your Mom’s house and farm). It is always sad when a family sells their farmland because you are losing your family heritage.

I am also glad that your Mom is going to the lawyer to figure out how to pay the insurance, mortgage and taxes and who is going to harvest the crop on your Mom’s farmland.

As Barb told you, most of us are “born fixer-uppers”. If someone tells us their problems, then we have to find a solution to their problem(s). If you simply want to vent, then “just VENT away”.

God Bless.
(2)

I'm not sure I agree that selling a farm is losing your family heritage. People can earn a living in many ways and if you need/or want to change your way, why not? Land is just land; house is just a house; don't sacrifice people's lives for these things.
(1)

rovana,
"Land is NOT just land; a house is NOT just a house!!"
Are you or were you ever a farmer? Has your family traveled from Eastern United States or from Europe by wagon with all of your worldly goods to land that has no towns or cities or to the open prairies; and homesteaded the land; cut down 100 year old trees to build a rough log cabin or build sod houses or dug holes into the side of a hill for a house; plowed the hard sod with a horse or even have your wife pulling the plow; put seed into the ground and watch it grow only to have grasshoppers eat everything; and then raise a family on that farm and help build a town?

Staffbull18's Family Farm has been in their family for over 200 YEARS!! (since 1818 or earlier). The farm may be as old as the country of United States of America. And you chide her for being sentimental??

If you are not a farmer and never have been, then you have NO RIGHT to judge or criticize Staffbull or anyone else who is or was a farmer. Staffbull already feels bad enough. She doesn't need someone to make such hurtful comments about her family. True, the farm that her brother sold is NOT the "Family Farm". BUT he will NOT be farming the Family Farm anymore and that hurts!

If you cannot say something positive and uplifting, please do not write on this post anymore. Thank you.
(2)

here is a quick update. my mom finally got serious with her lawyer. i guess for some reason i have to be on a conference call on monday with her and her lawyer. i don’t get iy. i can see her and my brother. good news is he is actually dropping off the contract today at the lawyer. i don’t know if i shared this but my mom didn’t have a copy of the contract. i guess the lawyer talked to my brother and he is afraid that there is not going to be a farm because of all her medical bills. but honestly it is her farm. and if that doesn’t happen i am getting everything. i have told him over and over again that we don’t want any farm land. he has worked hard for it. i don’t know what to believe. also my mom said he has liens on the machinery. i don’t know if this is true but i know he said that he lost 180,000 in the last three years. on another note. tomorrow is the day my father in law moves in. we are driving to milwaukee to get a bed after my husband gets home from work . stay cool and safe today everyone
(1)

Thanks for the update. I am glad that your Mom is working with the lawyer in regards to the Family Farm (the house & 10 acres and the separate 280 acres of farmland).

Even though you do not understand why you need to be on the conference call on Monday with your Mom and the lawyer; Please MAKE TIME to do so. They would not have told you to be a part of the conference if it wasn't important and if it did not pertain to you.

I was wondering if your brother was concerned that he might not inherit the farmland because your Mom might have to sell it to pay for her medical bills.

If I understand you correctly, your Mom's Will states that you will inherit "everything" (the house & 10 acres PLUS the 280 acres of farmland). Since you don't want the farmland that you are going to inherit, are you planning to "sell" the farmland to your brother? You really can't just "give" the farmland to your brother. He is going to have to pay you something for the farmland.

Let us know how everything goes with your FIL moving in with you this weekend and what happens during the conference call on Monday.

Take Care & God Bless!! 66Prayers^^ & {{Hugs}}
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter