Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
So, so very sorry for the loss of your beloved mother. It sounds like you had a wonderful relationship despite the loss that unavoidably accompanies dementia, and I'm certain your mother was aware of how well cared for she was by you. Sending thoughts and prayers for comfort and peace to you and your entire family.
(1)

So beautifully written, thank you! I hope I did half as well as you did in honoring my wonderful Mom. Miss her everyday.
(3)

Thank you for sharing this beautiful reflection. It mirrors exactly how my mother and I lived during the final four years of her life and the peace I live with now.
(2)

So Sorry for your loss, you sound like a Wonderful and Caring Daughter. Only time will ease your pain, but it does eventually get better. Be thankful that you have the Wonderful memories, and remember them often in the coming days. Again, sorry for your loss!
(1)

So sorry for your loss! I care for my 88 yo mom with joy and delight! She doesn't have Dementia or Alzheimer's yet, but does have quite a bit of memory loss, due to a severe head injury during which she broke her neck. She does know all of her immediate family, but sometimes not others that she has had relationships with. She has long term memory, but cannot remember events of the past twenty years or so. You're an angel from Heaven, for caring for her so lovingly. Bless you!
(1)

Dees1963: I am so very sorry for your loss. Sending deepest condolences.
(1)

Dees: You took the words right out of my mouth. That horrible disease took my wife of 69 years.
(0)

Not everyone considers it a blessing when as a caregiver you’re abused verbally & physically every day. Every thing is a struggle....& a fight...taking meds, brushing teeth, getting ready for bed, everything a fight. Chest, stomach & head aches for me every day.
(1)

What a beautiful sentiment. I lost my mom last June. I, too, felt blessed and honored that I could do what she needed. I hope it's OK, I am going to copy and post to my Facebook. Most people don't truly understand until it happens to them and this says so much. I always tell people that my friend gave me the best advice No matter what they do or say or how hurtful it may to just ignore it. They don't really know what they are saying and they don't mean it.
(2)

So sorry for your loss. Dementia does "suck", I am dealing with it right now with my husband. I almost lost him, due to poor care at a nursing facility where he was continually losing weight, vomiting, diarrhea, and severe dehydration. I brought him home and have him on hospice and he is flourishing. As a caregiver, it's a hard job, but at the end, I know I will not have any regrets because I did the best I could. All we can hope for is that somehow they feel our love and compassion for them. Peace and love
(1)

Dear Dees1963,
Thank you for your lovely post. My deepest sympathy to you for the loss of your mom. Your words brought tears to my eyes. I, too, am a daughter who cared for a parent with dementia. It was my dad and it wasn't for nearly as long as you did. I was so blessed that he largely knew me and could call my name until the day he closed his eyes (10 days before he died).

The love you had for your mom came through your words. I pray God's blessings and comfort to you.
(2)

What a loving and caring daughter, you are. I am so sorry for your loss. May God bless you for all the love you bestowed upon your  Dear Mom. I will keep you in my prayers.
(1)

Sorry for your loss. I lost my mom May 2nd, dementia. You sound so kind and caring. Good job. There’s definetly a place in heaven for you.
(2)

Dees, what a lovely post. What a refreshing post. I know caregiving is hard.........the long goodbye as they say. But the way you expressed yourself was beautiful. I felt the same with my dear Mom. She has been gone three years and I still miss her so.
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter