Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3
My mother in law sounds much like your mother. It’s very frustrating to try to have any conversation with her. Often, she sits and smiles blankly having no idea of the conversation going on around her. She acknowledges her hearing loss but refuses hearing aids. I guess it’s a vanity thing. I have no good advice, just can share in the annoyance part of it
(8)

Thank you for the comments. My mother doesn't have dementia, so far. Or, at least it has never been diagnosed. Her cardiologist told me that she is capable of making her own decisions, even if they are what I consider terrible. My mother has macular degeneration and can't see well enough to use a phone with options. I've suggested getting a new phone with amplification, but she "doesn't need that". I think I'll just get one for her and set the volume myself. Thank you for the idea. Sometimes a solution can seem so simple, yet when I'm inside the vortex I don't think of the obvious.
(11)

Your mother has dementia, right? Is she still living at her home?

Indeed, let her talk to the Golden Boy.

My husband wore hearing aids before he developed dementia, and continued to do so (with reminders sometimes) throughout the dementia journey. But I honestly don't think he could have learned to use them after the dementia set in. We were just lucky it was already a well-established habit.

Perhaps others can talk about their experiences with starting aids after dementia.

It must be very frustrating to have to shout to be heard. Could mother get some kind of amplification for her phone?
(6)

My mother needs hearing aids, also. She won't get them. She says she can hear just fine if people look right at her and don't mumble. She doesn't even realize people are talking to her.

It is exhausting having to repeat things over and over. Between the hearing, her not processing info and not remembering, I just feel like not conversing with her at all.
(14)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter