Follow

I am 83 and quite independent live alone in an apartment. I sometimes drive to church and groceries. Because I've fallen several times in last few months and I have macular I will soon have to stop driving. A church member and a friend have offered me a suite in their home senior care with all amenities for a senior. I will move in at the first of November. I will put most of my furnishings in storage. I just need to bring a bed and a few furnishings and personal stuff like bedding etc. I know these 2 young ladies for about 8 yrs thru church. I have children and 8 grandchildren but their homes are not equipped for senior living also this seems best as I cannot afford the senior living apartments. This is a great oppertunity as the girls living there are wonderful. They will oversee my safe care. This is a trial run for 3 mos. One of the gals runs the household while the other works from home. There is one concern is that they have 5 small dogs. They are well behaved and again I will never be in the home alone. The younger gal will always be there where the dogs are. I know the situation is ideal but I'm somewhat anxious. I know it will be a big change I will just have to trust in my daughters decision and mine.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I would consider this plan at length. If it sounds too good to be true, sometimes it isn't too good. and five small dogs are a definite tripping hazard.
(0)

SylviaG, you mentioned you have fallen a few times. When I read your post and saw that where you plan to live with people who have 5 small dogs, a red flag went up. With macular and a history of falls, you could every easily trip over one of the dogs. This is something you really need to think about.
(1)

this sounds like it is a good plan. I would have a "caregiving contract" drawn up and in it spell out the help that you currently need.
What will you be paying for each component of this.
Room and Board?
Household expenses?
Is caregiving separate?
As you require more and more help will the fee / rent increase to keep up with the care that they will provide?
I like the 3 month trial.
In the contract I suggest I like the idea of reviewing any contract in 6 month spells. This is beneficial so that as you require more help if they do not feel as if they can continue helping you they have the ability to say so. And if you do not feel like they are helping you enough you can also cay that it is not working out.

Please safeguard your finances. I understand these are people that you met at church but there are people that take advantage of situations. (Please forgive me if I am overly cautious)
I would also contact an Elder Care Attorney and make one of your children POA for health and finances. (you can have more than 1 POA) The reason I am suggesting you do this now is that if they see of feel anything is amiss it will be easier for them to intervene. (again I am being cautious here)

If you do not think you will transition to an Assisted Living facility and no longer need your furniture that you will be putting into storage make plans at some point to sell, or donate the items that no one wants. Why pay for storage if you will not use these items again. Any family treasures give to family now (if they want them)
(1)

Of course its a big change. Seems ideal from my standpoint. I like the trial run. It gives both sides the ability to say its not working.

I would though, keep as independent as possible. Call your County Office of aging and see what resources they have. Most have senior bussing so you still can get to appts and shop. Remember, everyone likes privacy. Maybe find a senior center to go to. If they cook dinner every night, treat them to dinner every so often. Spend time with your friends. Don't let them feel they need to ask you to accompany them everywhere. Your a tenent. They have their lives, you have yours.

I pray that all works out. Please come back and tell us how things are going. We love updates.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter