Follow

I once felt bad about moving my father into a senior living facility (https://silvergaterr.com/memory-care/). Every family caregiver will at some time in their journey feel a sense of guilt. There is a lot of pressure to weigh all the options and come to the best financial and health decisions when you take on responsibility for another person. Unfortunately, judgments about care are rarely clear-cut. Nobody always makes the best decision in every situation. Human nature includes making mistakes, but we always try our best with the knowledge and tools we have at the moment.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
aBIRRAn, for me it was an unusual situation, it was my Dad who was curious about senior living and seeing what was available.

My Dad no longer wanted the responsibility of caring for a large home being he was in his mid-90's. He had 3 shifts of caregivers each day at his house who were wonderful. But Dad was still cost conscience.

The senior living place would save him a lot of money per se compared to home care, in fact he figure out he could still have his 1st shift caregiver come to be with him, but shorten the hours a bit. It worked out great.

My Dad made it guilt free for me :) Oh how I wish everyone dealing with such situations could do it stress free.
(1)

I feel Assisted Living is what is best for my mom and best for me and my brother so we can FINALLY become independant but she is resistant to the idea

So I'm hoping I can date my boyfriend this year and possibly get married so I can escape!
(1)

It usually boils down to what is best option for the loved one being cared for and the caregiver(s) themselves. And it's never easy.
(2)

So true. No one can ever really know if a decision in these circumstances is a "mistake" or not. I like to think of it as "least bad option".
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter