Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Jinx4740, you are soooo wise. Mirroring or reflecting back someone's statement is a great way to help them have insight. Sensing and sympathizing with the themes within the negativity rather than just hearing the negative statements is hard to do but can bring new understanding. Another strategy is to agree with them, they can't continue to argue with you if you agree. Sometimes saying "You know, you are right." ends the tirade (for the moment). If you disagree, the battle will continue. THIS IS NOT a strategy for EVERY battle but some battles aren't worth the fight. Jessebelle, the negativity is not about you, it is about their unhappiness and disappointment with life and was probably there to some degree earlier in life before their filters failed.
(1)

I swear to God, I feel as if you are telling my story. My Mom is abusive, angry, hostile (and that's the good behavior). My Angel of a father passed away almost 2 years ago, and then she started showing signs. I guess that is normal-when the spouse passes away, it kicks the Alzheimer's into overdrive. I'm looking into placing my Mom into care. I can't take the anger, abuse and constant drama much longer. Sad. If she were somewhat pleasant, I wouldn't be forced to do it now. But she's never been the nicest person, and now it's 100x worse. .
(1)

A sad thing about it is that I would really love to sit down with her and enjoy company while she is here. I try to do that sometimes. It goes along fine for a few minutes, but I really can't say anything, because it triggers anger in her when I talk. Sometimes she just thinks of something that makes her mad. I never know what is going to trigger her. I can say that I need to go to the grocery store tomorrow and she'll get angry thinking that I didn't buy something last time. It is like she has the hidden seed of anger in her just looking for some reason to sprout. The best way to keep it from happening is not to talk. I've read that anger and anxiety are flip sides to the same type stimuli. Maybe I just get on her nerves when I talk. My father never talked, so it may be what she was used to. They were married 65 years.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter