Follow

Letter from a Mother to a Daughter: "My dear girl, the day you see I’m getting old, I ask you to please be patient, but most of all, try to understand what I’m going through. If when we talk, I repeat the same thing a thousand times, don’t interrupt to say: “You said the same thing a minute ago”... Just listen, please. Try to remember the times when you were little and I would read the same story night after night until you would fall asleep. When I don’t want to take a bath, don’t be mad and don’t embarrass me. Remember when I had to run after you making excuses and trying to get you to take a shower when you were just a girl? When you see how ignorant I am when it comes to new technology, give me the time to learn and don’t look at me that way... remember, honey, I patiently taught you how to do many things like eating appropriately, getting dressed, combing your hair and dealing with life’s issues every day... the day you see I’m getting old, I ask you to please be patient, but most of all, try to understand what I’m going through. If I occasionaly lose track of what we’re talking about, give me the time to remember, and if I can’t, don’t be nervous, impatient or arrogant. Just know in your heart that the most important thing for me is to be with you. And when my old, tired legs don’t let me move as quickly as before, give me your hand the same way that I offered mine to you when you first walked. When those days come, don’t feel sad... just be with me, and understand me while I get to the end of my life with love. I’ll cherish and thank you for the gift of time and joy we shared. With a big smile and the huge love I’ve always had for you, I just want to say, I love you... my darling daughter. "

Happy Mother's Day!
By: Spring in the Air

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Thank you
(1)

This letter, is a great reminder to us all. We should read it often. This time we have left with our LO is tiresome,trying, and at times treacherous. But this time with our LO will vanish at rapid speed. So to go through the 3 T's now. Is nothing compared to being stricken with grief, when they are gone. I know, I miss my Dad soooooo much, and will miss my Mom even more.
Heaven holds all to me.
(0)

I read this at my 70th to all I cried while reading every time I read I cry I am a male I have 3 sons and 7 grand kids all girls do I love them
(1)

Yes, caregiving can drain you dry or even kill you :)
I love the letter because i think it is a reminder to remember all of the person - the past also - not just the limitations of today. It helps with patience.
(0)

From another perspective....this could be a guilt trip. Sometimes care giving can drain a person dry!
(0)

Love it. I would address it to my children though.
(0)

My mom just passed away, I have cried and wish that I had read this letter sooner. the letter is so true. Thank you so much for this
(0)

This is so true and I see it first hand because I am a home health nurse. I care for many elderly ailing patients on a daily basis. There are many who live alone and have no one to care for them and there are others who have family but the families are just too darn busy. I pray when I am old, God will remember me and the good works I did while I was providing care to so many who were not and are not able to care for themselves.
(0)

dear sons . remember the houses we built, the trucks , trikes , cars , sand rails ?
remember all the b*tches that left us cause they wanted more than our crude homemade crap ?
dads getting up in the years now and im still mad as a hatter but mad with no power
people are going to start questioning my sanity and my resolve but these are going to be high falootin , booklearnrd b*stards who will announce that they know whats best for me . you got my back guys . when one of em tries to interfere bust him / her overtop the head so hard you break both their ankles . ive always fought your battles with you , now old decrippie is needin to call in a favor .
(1)

I read it many time before. This is so touching and beautiful. I agree to chance the title to "Letter from Mother to Daughters & Sons for Mother's Day". It is so lucky to whom still has mother alive.
(0)

very touching. Such a true memory. Mom lived to 92 & I share many loving memories.
(0)

And i feel everyone should take notice.U only get this one chance.
(0)

My mom is in nursing home now shes been there since dec i feel bad i couldnt care for her anylonger i spend almost every day poping in some days are good and some bad but i always know she loves me..
(0)

This was read at my friend's mum's funeral today. Both my parents in their 80s were in attendance and it made me sit up and take notice and appreciate all they have done for me. I will remember this.
(0)

I do try to follow the words in this letter she ha dementi I wish the nursing home staff would understan I wish the nursing home staff would understand that these these people in these homes somebody' somebody's father somebody's somebody's grandmother somebody's grandfather somebody's sister somebody's husband somebody's wife they just treat them like numbers.
(1)

I just lost my Mom who had dementia a few days ago and plan on sharing this letter during her funeral celebration. It touch may heart in many ways and
It depicts how her last years were. I tried to do actually what the mom ask for in the letter and was able to share many hours of love and happiness with her. I will miss her dearly not because she was my mom but because she was my best friend.
(0)

BEAUTIFUL WORDS TO SAY TO LET YUR DAUGHTER KNOW HOW U REALLY FEELING
(0)

Beautiful letter. Says it all.
(0)

Made me cry.love it
(0)

This is exactly what my mother must be thinking at the age of 94.....God bless her. There can be many lessons learned from dealing with our elderly parents. Isn't it funny that parents never stop teaching us to be better people. Death is indeed in the picture for every single one of us and it's final. Don't regret being impatient or unkind. Allow your parent to see a loving child who has grown to be a loving adult. It will make them so happy.
(0)

I Love my parents, my dad has passed. I just have to say that I have two sister that seems not to care to visit to help or show that they care a little, I'm not trying to judge I just don't understand. My mom needs loving and has been a good person, no of us are perfect, but please don't have a regrets we only have them onces, share just a little of yourself and reach out no matter what.
(1)

I was so deeply touched by this! My grandma has been living with my mom for over ten years and now her health is getting worse.We just found out She has cirrhoses of the liver and my mom got mad at my gramma because she doesn't really take care of herself. She doesn't right and she doesn't always want to take a shower and my mom would be kind of rude about it! After showing her this, it helped her remember everything that my grandma did for her growing up! It saved their relationship, and I couldn't be more grateful! I don't know who wrote this but thank you very much, it saved our family!
(0)

I love you...Happy Birthday....Mom
(0)

curbing weight gain so mobility will not decline.
(0)

The print is for friend.
(0)

How do I get a Print?
(0)

I just love this. I had the pleasure of having my Mom live with me from the age of 89 until 93 when shortly thereafter she had a heart attack, was hospitalized, HAD to go into a nursing home where she passed 7 months later. I relish the quality time we had together those 4 years. Did I do everything right? Absolutely not. Was she forgiving? Yes! This poem says it all.
(0)

This letter has taught me to have so much patience and understanding with my mother. I love her and i know she is getting up there in age.
(0)

Thank you. I first saw this on Facebook. I needed to hear this. I try really hard with my mom, but it is still so hard. I love her very much and helping her can be so sad and frustrating too. Reading your letter gave me a good cry, let out some pent up emotions and gave me strength and fortitude to carry on with kindness, love and understanding with my mom. Thank you again. In God's grace, Julie Perry
(0)

my mother isnt likely to be around much longer and it becomes more apparent every day how much she appreciates me. i wouldnt trade this carer experience for anything ive ever done. i dont feel a sense of obligation, more a sense of responsibility and fulfillment. not sacrifice but generousity.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter