Follow

My mother-in-law has never liked me. Now she lives with us (or really, I suppose, we live with her). This is because she cannot live alone. The house is in her name but I pay all the bills. Yet, all I hear is how great her other son-in-law (my wife's sister's husband) is. I can do nothing right and he does no wrong.

It is hard to know I (and my wife, of course) am there when she needs me - going to the hospital, picking up prescriptions, picking her up when she falls, going to doctor appointments, etc. and get no credit for it. I know this is selfish but darn it - I work hard and deserve to be appreciated once in a while.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
If your mother-in-law is anything like my mother, you will never get it. No matter how hard you try or how much you do, it is never good enough... I know that road, my mother is a constant drain on my emotions and whenever I feel I have done something that will make her happy, my hopes are dashed once again by her anger and out bursts.. We have gotten to the point where she is seldom allowed at our house because she makes everyone so miserable. I still do everything that I need to for her, but I seldom involve my kids or husband in the visit, since she is so mean and abusive.
I don't have an answer for you. I can only commiserate that there is nothing harder in this life than what we are going through with our elderly parents... and I have not found an easy answer as to how to deal with the pain that it causes. ...
My thoughts and prayers are with you...
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter