Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
At that time, Dads dementia was all that apparent and he would tell the hosp staff they were all set, good to go etc. and it was convincing. He "showed" well but his executive reasoning was slipping. Since I'm long distance and not around him much it took me a while to realize something was wrong. The dementia has increased ever so slowly over the past 6 years.
(0)

Should have said WASNT ALL THAT APPARENT
(0)

I figured that was what you meant. So your dad was showtiming at the hospital.

I think my mother is beginning to slip. I recognize the holes in her reasoning that my brothers don't seem to always notice. I always like their input when they come to visit, because I like to hear others' perspectives.

I feel kind of defeatist about it all, though, because I've learned from this site how very difficult it is to have elders declared incompetent. And my mother would fight any loss of control, as she is a control freak. I can foresee lots of arguing about things as her reasoning further slips. And I know that there are all sorts of ways to deal with elders, but the truth is that I don't want to do it. I don't want to be that involved with her.

She has EXCELLENT LTC insurance (doesn't qualify yet), but has told me she never wants to use it.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter