Follow

Local news article about Fred Akers. Former University of Texas football coach.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/investigations/defenders/defenders-coach-fred-akers-family-visits-nursing-homes/269-f139246c-2d5b-49e7-9342-a7fb8f7c18e9

Article also lists link to an online petition.

I hope that this problem gets more attention. Between the other Covid news, protests, and election noise, I afraid its not an issue people in charge are paying enough attention to.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Well, it appears someone was actually listening. Hopefully cases don't spike and they back track. Haven't heard anything yet from my moms Memory Care yet, I wonder if the facilities got notice before the press conference? If not they will really be scrambling to get this implemented by next week.

From Texas Governor Abbott today.

"The Governor announced new visitation guidance for eligible nursing homes, assisted living facilities, intermediate care facilities, home and community-based service providers, and inpatient hospice effective Thursday, September 24th. 

Under the new rules, residents will be allowed to designate up to two essential family caregivers who will be provided necessary training to allow them to safely go inside a facility for a scheduled visit, including in the resident’s room, to help ensure their loved one’s physical, social, and emotional needs are being met. Designated caregivers will not be required to maintain physical distancing, but only one caregiver can visit a resident at a time.

A long-term care facility resident (or legal representative) can designate the essential caregiver, who can be a family member, friend, or other individual. Facilities are required to train essential caregivers on the proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE) and other infection control measures. Proper PPE must be used at all times during these scheduled visits, and the caregiver must test negative for COVID-19 within the previous 14 days before the initial visit.

For general visitors who are not a designated essential caregiver, these updated emergency rules will allow approved facilities to schedule outdoor no contact visits, open window visits, or indoor visitation with the use of plexiglass safety barriers to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Physical contact between residents and general visitors is not permitted. Facilities also must continue to meet all additional visitation requirements outlined in the emergency rules."
(1)

No essential family caregivers here in Texas yet. Thats one of the things they are advocating for. Maybe with Texas football being such a big deal here, more people will take notice. It was sad that he was thriving in Memory Care before covid shut everyone out, but then just basically shut down with the isolation.
(0)

Thank you ! This is something I will check on tomorrow.
(0)

Gracie61, here in MN legislation was passed in June so that family members can now be designated as "essential caregivers" and allowed to visit a limited amount of time each week (I think it's 3-hours a day but IDK if that's every day). Please check with you state to find out if this is an option where you live.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter