Follow

A 103 year old woman in Iran has survived the viral attack.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/103-year-old-iran-woman-survives-coronavirus-report/ar-BB11lBT2?ocid=msedgdhp

In addition, despite significant deaths in Iran, a 91 year old man with pre-existing conditions also survived.

I wonder if that generation has some stamina and special strengths that haven't been identified yet?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
And here's another good news update:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/91-year-old-with-underlying-health-issues-survives-coronavirus/ar-BB11SM5Y?ocid=msedgntp

A 91 year old woman with cardiac issues and undergoing dialysis 3x weekly...survives!   She's a former Rockette as well.     I've always thought that dancing (as well as other physical activities) not only helped bodies in ways we don't always realize, but that the dedication to dance and its rigors and challenges built strong bodies as well as strong and determined goals.
(2)

AlvaDeer, you wrote this earlier :

"I read that the blood serology on one woman over 100 who survived showed that she had likely ALSO survived the pandemic of 1918. If that is so you have to wonder if this gave her some immunity that many do not have, or some antibodies that were able to fight off the virus in a more efficient way.  …"

I told this to my niece who's an ER RN and also a student in an NP program.  She's VERY interested in more information, so I'm trying to get it for her.   

1.   Do you have a URL, or reference to where you read this?

2.   Do you remember if the antibodies were S or M?

Any reference or link would be greatly appreciated.
(0)

I do trust this news report. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/99-year-old-man-covid-recovers-1.5513820 a 99 year old man in Vancouver survived.
(0)

Lilhelp, sorry for tempting you.    I like to think in terms of chocolate b/c it's so good, tasty, and can provide a mental boost, even if it's not the best dark chocolate. 

And much as I love spinach and broccoli, I don't think that suggesting someone have a nice snack of either produces the same effect.   Chocolate has a history and an aura, like a fine wine does.
(2)

Alva, you've touched on an issue which I hope will be thoroughly researched once the pandemic is under control.   That would include ethnic background, past diseases, diet (such as American vs. Mediterranean), antibodies created, family history, and more.

The global world in which we live exposes us to risks which might previously have been localized, and we need to really ramp up and address these potentials. with that being a high priority national goal for funding.

Someone who lived in 1918 and is still alive to survive this pandemic obviously has something that's worth studying, especially since she'd be over 100 years old.   Kudos to her!

I'm not a medical person, but I'm wondering what the blood serology showed - antibodies?   
(1)

Interesting question. I read that the blood serology on one woman over 100 who survived showed that she had likely ALSO survived the pandemic of 1918. If that is so you have to wonder if this gave her some immunity that many do not have, or some antibodies that were able to fight off the virus in a more efficient way. I imagine there will be much data gathering in these cases, and papers written after the fact.
(2)

Thank you, Garden.  Not sure if news out of Iran is trustworthy, but it's good news, and I'll take it.

Chocolate salad .. there you go with chocolate again.  lol  Me & you! with chocolate!  Chocolate everything.  Maybe chocolate kills coronaV, so let's eat the fool out of it ..  lil
(1)

TryingMyBest, I think that overwhelming negative thoughts have the possibility to depress us all, so you're not alone, if that helps at all.  I had to take a break today and read an escapist book, which helped me move back to center in terms of emotional reactions.

I'm glad you're feeling better!   And I have another good news article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/extraordinary-recovery-101-year-old-italian-man-with-covid-19-was-released-from-the-hospital/ar-BB11O7fT?ocid=msedgntp

Someothing else I enjoy doing, taking advantage of those obnoxious Google, MSN and other obnoxious methods of snooping on our searches.     I visit gardening catalogue sites before surfing online.    I click on photos of beautiful flowers, then those lovely photos follow me around the Internet instead of offensive ads.   I might try visiting puppy and kitten sites as well before surfing.

On the subject of immune systems, I've found a good site with information on immune boosting foods.   This isn't something that's new; it just happens to be more appropriate now.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/opinions/healthy-diet-immune-system-covid-19-mozaffarian-glickman-nikbin-meydani/index.html

Salads with many of these foods are so easy to make, and they certainly are healthy.    It's something else to take our minds off the negative news.   Food typically does that for me anyway!

Now, a chocolate salad would work wonders....
(3)

Garden Artist it is always heartening to hear even the slightest bit if good news. I'm not naive and I know there is far more bad news but i for one need to hear something good now and then to keep hope. Otherwise I spiral into a dark and desolate place. So thank you for that.
(2)

May be a great immune system.
(1)

Not good news, not at all, but I'm posting another news item because I think this very sad case combines all of the factors that make this such a confusing and emotive and frightening issue. It's from the BBC this evening:

A man in his 40s with motor neurone disease (MND) is thought to be the youngest person in the UK to have died having tested positive for coronavirus.
Craig Ruston, died in Kettering, Northamptonshire, on Monday morning and his chest infection was diagnosed as Covid-19.
In a post on his Facebook page, Me and My MND, his wife Sally paid tribute to a "wonderfully kind and caring person".
In the UK, 104 people with coronavirus have now died.
Mr Ruston's wife said he was given about two years to live when he was diagnosed with MND in June 2018 and his "fight with MND was not ready to be over". 
"Last Tuesday he was taken unwell and we have since spent the last six days in isolation," she said.
"Craig's chest infection was confirmed as Covid-19. How dare that take Craig who was already facing this, the most vile and evil of diseases."

I'm very sorry that Craig has died; and I don't really have any thoughts to add to that.
(5)

All info from Iran taken with a grain of salt. The leaders are desperate to give their people hope amid chaos since the populace was already disgusted with them even before the virus.
(1)

Mutters "... good luck with that..."

They're thinking about it, it's been punted as a possible policy in the next few weeks (timing is crucial); but I only mean the first part, the over 70s bit.

This is what happens when bloody idiot journalists attempt to regurgitate complex statistical and epidemiological concepts in their preferred Bite Size format, and then let a sub-editor loose on it.

I haven't heard the news items themselves. I suspect that what happened was that someone from Public Health England, the National Institute for Health Research, the Health & Safety Laboratories or a similar eminent body attempted to explain modelling to a press conference, and within that conference attempted to explain at what rate you need a population to become infected in order to achieve maximum herd immunity with minimum casualties. Or something like that.

George Mikes, the native Hungarian writer, once remarked on the British press that (during the war) "they reported their own forces' various setbacks, defeats and disasters not with candour, but with gusto." They are still at it. Pay no attention to them without going to their original sources.
(2)

CM, is it true that the UK has advised folks over 70 to stay home and for everyone else to go about their business, get the virus and get over it?
(0)

GA, according to the WHO statistics, the mortality rate in people over 80 (most of whom will have 'underlying conditions' of one sort or another) is something like 14.8%.

That is very bad, it makes them by far the most vulnerable age group, and we do not want so many of our much-loved elders to die.

But it also means that 85.2% of people over 80 have survived infection.

So while I agree that these two cases are indeed very good news, they are not even remotely exceptional.
(5)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter