Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
5 6 7 8 9
I second both Babalou's comment about checking meds and GA's comment about just visiting mom. I'd get a full list of her current meds and have a pharmacist go over them for interactions/contraindications between them, along with her symptoms. Doctors often prescribe without fully understanding how meds work together or in geriatric patients. I'd start there.

And it's always important to try to see our parents as people as opposed to patients. I work hard on that with my mom. Getting her out, just to see other people, talking about current events and the bigger world, just to make sure she's not so singularly focused on her small world. The idea of flowers and a card are great. Maybe her favorite cologne if she ever wore it. My mom loves to smell good, even though her sense of smell is pretty well gone. So think about your mom and what she liked before all of this happened and see if you can bring something that would anchor her in that "healthy" past.
(1)

Well, today I got a call from rehab and I was thinking "what now?", but for once it was good news. They finally managed to get her out of bed and into the chair without a giant freak-out, when I got there she was actually in the day room interacting with people. They fixed her hair and everything, she looked pretty good and comfortable. Granted, it's a small step but a significant one. Believe it or not, I think her new roomie is an incentive as she tends to yell out things a lot and it's driving my mother nuts LOL, so she wants to get out of the room now. Anyhow, any progress is good progress so I can rest easy for a while knowing that a) she's progressing a bit and b) the staff won't be pushing to discharge her based on lack of progress (for now at least)!
(2)

Yaaaaaaay! It IS huge..what great news. And how nice that they called you!
(2)

Glad to hear the good news. Sometimes motivation comes in the most unusual forms.
(1)

Yaaaay! So happy to hear this good news. Have a good weekend!!
(1)

Thanks all! She hasn't been out of bed in any significant way for at least a few weeks and the last time she was for more than a few minutes she was still in all kinds of pain. So it was encouraging. She was complaining a lot, but not about being in pain and wanting to lie down, so I'll take what I can get there. Like I've said in prior posts, it's almost like she's coming out of a coma in a way (not that I mean to minimize actual coma patients, mind you). Some of her memories are all shuffled up and out of order and she doesn't seem to have any real idea of how long it's been since she was home.

I'm supposed to talk to her doctor on Monday re: psych and that biopsy, hope he follows through and doesn't make me have to track him down. Tomorrow's strictly a "fun" visit (or so I hope), planning to make a candy stop before I get there to grab a few of her favorites. Thanks to all for your good vibes!
(2)

Hello again all, been offline for a few so figured I'd update y'all!

The good: Mom's spirits are good, as good as they've been in a few months. Mentally she's maybe 35-45% "there", she's making jokes, getting mine, being much more polite and inquisitive with everyone and generally feeling a lot better.

The bad: Although she's been up and out of bed regularly now, she's still resistant when the PT comes around. My suggestion that maybe she has bad memories of her previous PT sessions are largely being dismissed, which annoys me a great deal as I don't see what's so far-fetched about that. Still no word on her biopsy, had to resort to leaving several messages for her doctor and those messages will being to increase in hostility if the doctor doesn't return my calls soon. While Mom does have some increased movement below the waist she still can't really do anything with her legs yet.

The ugly: Today the PT totally ruined a fun visit with her complaining. Of course I realize she's just doing her job and all, but those somber looks and head shakes of hers irritated the you-know-what out of me. She was leaning and complaining again re: insurance and "lack of progress", I just pretty much ignored her and told her to (quote) "try harder then" which I don't think she appreciated too much. But hey, too bad for her and her "one size fits all" attitude. if she can't see the difference in Mom over the last month she's either just blind or stupid and IMO she's way, way too dismissive of the obvious improvement in her mental state which IMO is half the battle.

Apparently they did re-set the Medicare clock, as I haven't heard anything from billing (and I'm sure I would have). Right now the plan is probably going to be bringing her home in (I hope) a few more weeks. I wouldn't have been able to handle it the way she was before she was diagnoses and treated, but honestly now I think it'll go better for both of us. After thinking it over (and after seeing how the LT residents have it) I think putting her in a home permanently would be a huge waste. Of course it'll come with challenges, however so would confining her to a LT home. At least she'll have company, care and stimulation at home, I couldn't live with myself knowing that she was just rotting away doing nothing there for the rest of her days. Obviously you never know but IMO she has some life left in her yet and truthfully I don't see her going anytime really soon, as her health is actually pretty fair all things considered. It'll require some sacrifices but I genuinely feel I owe it to her.
(3)

I did finally get her biopsy results and they're negative, no cancer anywhere. Her doctor also agreed with me about giving her a little more recovery time and I expressed my concerns re: her PT and she says she'll speak to the department about that, so we'll see.

Not be be whiny or anything LOL but right now I'm battling some serious anxiety about visiting Mom during the day. I can't understand why these people won't just call me to arrange meetings instead of chasing me down and cornering me when I least expect it. I mean how do they communicate with family members who don't visit regularly?

The PT was really pushing it yesterday. It'll be such a relief to not have to deal with her anymore once this rehab assignment is done. It's the exact same performance every time too. Like I mentioned above, I told her that maybe she needs a different approach, maybe she needs to re-gear her expectations and maybe Mom has a bad association with her given what happened before.
(0)

If they want to have a meeting when you're visiting mom, pull out your date book and ask them to duggedt a time. Sorry, I'm busy visiting with moom. Set boundaries.
(0)

Babalou: Yes. They have my number and unless their dialing fingers are all broken there's no reason they can't contact me and set appointments. The PT is weird, she seems to want to "prove" to me that Mom "isn't trying" by having me there to witness it, as if that matters in any way. One thing I've come to notice about this place is that they seem to become very flustered if everything doesn't go exactly according to their plans/schedules/guidelines. Welcome to our world :)
(0)

Few comments and observations...

1. I've occasionally received calls from rehab staff, but I've also found it more efficient to attempt to pre-arrange to meet with them when I'm there. My time is important, but I'm certainly not going to advance that issue. Rather, I take the position that THEIR time is important, which it is, and that they're busier than I am, which is also true. So, then, what's a good time for them to get together with me?

2. It doesn't hurt to bring bagels or donuts a few days before you raise the issue of meeting with them.

3. Whatever field of work you were in in your profession, the tables are turned now. You're no longer providing services nor are your services being sought. You're the seeker and will unfortunately be in the position of stroking those whom you need to assist in your mother's care.

4. No. 3 is an aspect I've always found less than satisfying. Gone are the days when I was a valuable employee because of some knowledge or a particularly good outlook. Now I'm on the other side, giving compliments instead of receiving them. That's not meant to infer I was so great that everyone loved my work - it's just an example of how the tables have turned.

So, that's the way it is; I take the attitude that if greasing the squeaky wheels works, that's what I'll do to get the care I want.

This isn't meant to be critical or sarcastic; it's meant to provide insight into the different role we play now that we're caregivers.
(3)

Today really is a day for making typos. In Paragraph No. 4, "outlook" should read "outcome on a particular project."
(1)

GA: very good points as always! I really do try to be realistic about it, I can't expect these people to be 100% about my mother as they have over 100 patients there at any given time. I do, however, think they could stand to improve the lines of communication better, as I can't be there 24/7 and sometimes I find myself feeling like I've been left out of the loop. I'd be happy to work around the SW's schedule and arrange meetings with him when he has the time, this could be easily arranged. In fact I'm planning on lining up a "discharge meeting" with him by the end of this week.

As far as the PT goes, I just don't know. I realize she's trying her best, she's probably overworked (almost everyone there seems to be) and she has certain protocols she has to obey. That said though, she could stand to improve her bedside manner a little and she doesn't need to always be so skeptical and negative about everything. It's quite frankly demoralizing. Like yesterday, I show up and find Mom in very good spirits and actually enjoying something and two minutes later the PT is shaking her head and endlessly complaining about something Mom "won't" do. I even attempted to change the tone a little by complimenting her on how well Mom's doing in other areas and she said "that wasn't us". So if that's true, what's the point of this?
(0)

It looks like Mom will at long last be returning home sometime next week. The SW called and told me the "insurance company" is discharging her on Tues. or Wed. (which is false, as the insurance company told me they base that on the recommendations of the rehab staff). I think he's a little edgy due to how I handled the last discharge but this time around I'm not fighting him (other than if I need an extra day to set everything up) as I do need his help procuring various items and information. My gut feeling is that we've reached the point of diminishing returns here anyway, as there's nothing going on there that can't be replicated (or improved upon) at home. I've already documented my frustrations with her PT and that's never going to improve, the PT already has her mind made up re: Mom. I have no reason to think that a visiting PT couldn't do an equal or better job. The doctors there are no great shakes either, while I wouldn't call them "bad" by any means they're certainly not irreplaceable either. Of course the daily care is always a challenge at home but Mom is at least capable of helping more than she was before we learned what was wrong with her, so it shouldn't be as terrible as it was before she was hospitalized. I was doing 2/3rds of it for years already anyhow.

But mentally speaking I think she needs to get out of there. First of all, they have her in an area with other "difficult" patients (due to night yelling and complaining which hasn't been addressed or approached to my satisfaction yet BTW) and she hates it which I can't blame her for at all. She does get out of bed and visit the day room but it's not terribly exciting or anything and as she put it "it makes me feel like I'm stuck in a nursing home". Otherwise it's TV and my visits and that's it. At least at home she'll have a TV she can hear, friends and neighbors saying hi, fresh air, a view, her own music, books and snacks and etc.

I mean if she eventually needs LT care that's different, but right now I have to at least try home for the time being. It just seems right and I think she deserves it after everything she's endured since June.
(1)

"diminishing returns".... you must have an economics background! Do you?

Regardless, I'm so glad to learn that your mother will be coming home. There does come a point when there's not much more the rehab facility can do (and graphing it that line would be the downward sloping one), but the home environment can allow for immense improvement, primarily in comfort, outlook and attitude (now the upward sloping line). You're well past the equilibrium point.

I totally agree that it's time for your mother to come home to the things she enjoys.

And, another word of caution: don't let the nursing home social worker make the decision on home health care agency. That's happened to us twice, and I had to be firm to make it clear that we choose our own home health care - this was after the social worker had made arrangements despite having been told that we had a home care agency of our choice.

Find one you like - it's tedious, but think of it as the last step in finding people who you hope will be compatible with your mother so that her therapy can continue at home.

It's been quite a journey, but the end of this trip is in sight again.

Being so bold as to make assumptions for others, please tell your mother we're so glad for her! I'm thinking of cyber roses - a lovely, fragrant bouquet of deep pink roses.
(2)

Thank you GA! I appreciate the tip re: home care too. I think the SW will actually be a real help this time around but yeah, I'm definitely going to have my guard up when dealing with these folks. I'm also going to let him know that she's being discharged when everything is ready and not before and if it means she has to stay one more day or something, that's how it's going to be. As long as everything plays out correctly, though, it should be Tuesday or Wednesday.

I couldn't agree more re: finding people she likes. IMO it's at least part of Mom's problem with the rehab PT. For example, the nurse and aide that finally got her into the lift and into the chair without incident took a friendly "oh, way sicker people than YOU are able to do it" approach and it worked. She responds to the friendly approach and if she looks forward to seeing someone it makes a world of difference.
(0)

Just remembered... it's "diminishing marginal returns." Mind's a little rusty; it was over 45 years ago that I took Econ courses. Man, I'm getting old!

It really does make a difference if someone knows how to deal with and motivate older people. I have to remind myself that when I see neighbors and others fussing over my dad and he just loves it. They're not the caregivers though. So I need to try to find a balance between our two different perspectives.

Hope you are able to sleep well and relax as well as look forward to a homecoming for your mother. Do you think her neighborhood friends could come visit her, perhaps one each day? Or maybe even have a little celebration for her.

Thanks for the update; it's so good to read cheery news again.
(1)

D, you can ask the NH to send someone out to evaluate mom's home for safety, usually it's an ot. We've never had this done but I'm told that it can be extremely helpful.

It will be good to see if mom continues with the nocturnal yelling when she's in her own bed!

Just remember that YOU are going to need regular respite from caregiving. We don't want you burning out!
(0)

In terms of Home Health, you might call your mom's doctor's office to get a recommendation, or the discharge planners from your local hospital. VNS (Visiting Nurse Service) has some excellent local branches where my mom lived.
(0)

Babalou, good suggestions. I'd like to share some insights from our experience with home evals.

The first was after Dad's first leg fracture. The PT and OT both wanted to come - not sure if there was a jurisdictional tussle but they did work together. Good suggestions were made, however, I don't think that therapists always know the best methods of accomplishing something immediately.

E.g., the first and latest therapists and nurse all recommended "installing" a ramp as the exterior stairs could be dangerous (I said this over 3 years ago but didn't get anywhere in terms of a ramp actually being constructed).

I thought perhaps I could leverage the current therapist's concern, contacted the building department to get slope requirements, clearances, approved contractors, etc., and literally got shoved off to what I suspect might have been their preferred contractor whose attitude was "I'll tell you all the great things I'll do for you." Yeah, sure, here it comes....a whopping 10 on the BS meter.

Not only would he not come to view the physical situation, he wanted me to send him a photo (I don't even have a camera), and advised he expected me to come to his office for a 10 minute interview at which time he would present his proposal. What?? What arrogance! (I make notes of these incidents for the book I eventually plan to write about humorous and ridiculous contracting experiences.)

The therapist thought I could get a ramp built in a few days. The "contractor" said it takes about a month to get the permitting process completed, then a few days to construct the ramp. When I told the therapist, she was shocked; she had no idea what was involved in constructing a ramp. Good idea, but the details weren't considered.

One of the OTs was concerned about getting a walker in the small bathroom and recommended removing the door completely, eliminating any type of privacy. That wasn't one of the suggestions we accepted.

On the whole, though, the best things they did were to support me in trying to focus on removal of trip hazards. Sometimes that kind of recommendation from an "authority figure" means more than from a daughter.

So, yes, if the PT and/or OT will come out, go for it, but be prepared to take their recommendations under advisement.

I hope it doesn't seem as though I'm challenging your advice, Babalou, because I'm not. I just wanted to share some older and more recent experiences to warn Dman.

We've had VNS in the past, one of the nurses was outstanding but eventually left, as did a few of the other good ones. Dad and I were both pleased with everyone they sent except the OT who wasn't really too interested in the assignment.

Wondering why these good folks had gone elsewhere, I did some research and learned that VNS is now a for profit organization. This should improve on what was already a good business model.

But the local VNS had deteriorated. The intake person was new, had no motivation, no concept of following through. It was her position that it was up to the doctor to fax the script to them. The doctor's staff wasn't any better and took the position that it was up to the VNS to fax the request to them. Sheesh! Neither would budge.

This went on for 4 days while these duds were sitting on their butts doing nothing. I kept calling for a status check, but the answer was always the same: "the paperwork hadn't come through yet." Did they follow up with a call? NO.

I don't entirely blame the VNS; the doctor's staff was to blame as well. After 4 days of screwing around I got disgusted and called another service which got busy and got the issue resolved.

Almost 2 weeks later, the "intake" person from VNS called me to follow up. It gave me great pleasure to tell her I hired someone else and would never consider them again.

It's a sad situation that what was once a great home care service has declined so much. Then again, that may only be in our area.
(0)

GA, not taken as a challenge at all! Therapists, nurses, etc., vary from agency to agency and from region to region. We've had the good and the bad. I just wanted to pass on the fact that you can ask for a home assessment. One of the things that has made this site so helpful is knowing what I'm allowed to do: like saying I'm not taking her home till you fix her!

I also find that getting agency recommendations is best done in person. I recall one discharge RN laying her finger on one VNS local agency name and shaking her head, then pointing to the adjacent one and nodding.
(2)

That's interesting because it's almost the same thing that happened to us the last time. The discharge planner pointed to one particular agency, and when I said we'd used VNS and probably would again, she gave me a strange look, and said something to the effect of "well.....this one is one is good too..." I wish she had told me that they weren't up to par because it actually took 10 days to get home care started.

I was also on guard because the last 2 rehab events ended with the social worker making a referral to a company I had never heard of despite the fact I told her we would be using VNS.

But I understand hospital discharge planners are in a delicate position and could be seen as showing partiality if they recommended a particular agency over another.

On a humorous note, while we were waiting for the discharge papers to be prepared, I did have a chance to meet with the in-hospital rep of another agency.

This woman was so polished she could have worked for a Fortune 50 company. She used all the corporate buzzwords applied to medicine, was smooth talking, and definitely very experienced in sales. She could easily have been a top salesperson in whatever company she worked for. But she was just too slick for me.

Maybe next time I meet with the discharge planner I'll take some bagels or donuts up for the staff.

And I do agree that your suggestion for a home assessment is very helpful. I wouldn't have thought of it had you not raised the subject.
(1)

dmanbro: I'm not sure if this will help or not, but when my mom was in the nursing facility for dementia, she had been very sick (in hospital) a few times. When she would be sent back from the hospital, she was very frail and weak - it took a lot out of her. She couldn't walk so she was in a wheelchair when she wasn't in bed. Every time they would get her up, she would hold on for dear life to the rails. It took 4 people to lift her from the bed to the wheel chair (in her mind, though, she did this all on her own). It was like she couldn't trust the people caring for her (she was dead weight). She told me that they would just throw her around! I knew this wasn't true because I was there a lot and saw them caring for her. I think that when they are afraid of falling, being moved or whatever, it's just in their mind, but they can't help it -- it's part of the disease (I don't know if yours has dementia or not), but even the fact that they are used to doing something for themselves and then have to be totally dependent on others, it's just very difficult. In some ways I can relate because I fell down a flight (13) of stairs a few years ago, and I broke my hand hit the front and back of my head, pulled my shoulder out from trying to catch myself, and fractured my hip. I was a mess and had to have help with everything while in the trauma unit at the hospital. It was very hard to let people help me, but I had no choice. I can sort of relate to what they must feel. Hope this helps some, sorry for going on so long, but I feel for you and what you're going through. It's just as hard for you to see her be this way, but take care of yourself and going every other day may definitely help.
(2)

Thanks everyone for the very thoughtful replies. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't at least try to make a go of it at home. Perhaps it'll work, perhaps it won't, but I have to at least try. IMO it's the right time too, as over the last week Mom's started to lapse into a "patient" mentality that's not doing her any good at all. Too complacent and (not to sound mean but it's true) too whiny. IMO she needs to feel "useful" again and she needs more conversation, more visitors and she needs to get away from the whole NH atmosphere. Right now she's sharing a room with a really sad case, a woman who literally never stops yelling and it's making it very difficult to even have a simple visit with her anymore. I asked them to move her but they're telling me they "can't" right now so she just has to deal with it but seriously, it's not a good situation at all.
(0)

And I touched on this issue in a different thread but I might as well update it here: I informed Mom's granddaughters that she's coming home and now it's put up or shut up time for them. They can either help or step aside, no middle ground. They live within walking distance (and if they need a ride here it's only five minutes away) so they don't have any more excuses. I can survive without them but obviously if they'll pitch in a little it'll be a huge help for both of us. Of course I'm keeping my expectations low in that regard but I'm still trying to be fair about it too.
(2)

Good for you for putting the granddaughters on notice!

I think your perspective on your mother's return home is a wise one - hopeful and positive yet recognizing possible negative factors may arise.

I would also expect your mother to be very tried the first few days as she acclimates to her own home. It's an adjustment, and sometimes there's a buildup of fatigue, especially under the circumstances of an unpleasant roommate. Your mother's probably not getting a good rest right now.

It's kind of like having quit a job and being ready to go and move on but having to fulfill the 2 or 4 week or whatever notice commitment. Short-timers aren't just in the work place.
(1)

Mom hasn't been been home since July 7th and the few weeks prior to that were part of the blur she was in, so for all intents and purposes she hasn't really had a "normal" day at home since late June. This is by far the longest she's been away from home, my parents bought their house in 1959 I believe and the longest vacation they ever took was maybe six or seven days and that was back in the late 1970s.
(0)

dmanbro, my fingers are crossed that everything goes well. There probably won't be many "old normal" days again, but I hope there are a lot of good new normal ones. If she does need more help in a facility later, at least you will know that you did what you could and it is what she needed. This has been a hard stretch of her life and I feel so bad that the doctors missed it for so long.
(5)

Mine too JessieBelle, thanks! The last time the rehab was going to discharge Mom was in early August, but at that time her injuries still hadn't been diagnosed properly. I knew there was no way I could adequately care for her in the state she was in then, after all, they barely could and they have a facility and a staff. If I hadn't told them that I was shipping her directly to the ER from there I shudder to think of what might have been. This time, though, I don't think coming home presents any kind of danger to her or anything. Whether it works out or not is a different story but I'd never even consider it if I felt it was just plain wrong, like I felt it was before. If I felt it'd compromise her well being I'd make other arrangements, but IMO she at least has a fighting chance.

And it's what she says she wants. I know that sometimes we sort of infantilize the elderly, especially when they're "unsound" (or seem to be) but nonetheless, she's cognizant enough to know where she is and why and she wants to return to her house. I can't (within reason) just discount that, as she's earned at least that much.
(1)

Are they going to do PT for her in the home?
(0)

5 6 7 8 9
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter