Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
(((((Hugs)))))))
(0)

Update day #4. After 2 bad days, yesterday Mom was singing, eating lots of ice cream, drinking with a straw and talking a little more understandably. Today her breathing got labored and we decided to start a dose of roxinol. It was a very hard decision for me. And her reaction is exactly what I expected... breathing is better but she slept all day after only 1 dish of ice cream. I’m afraid I may have heard my last song. Heartbroken.
(7)

Update: Night #2 sitting up with Mom, and I would like to update everyone who has been so generous with their support and kindness. I truly believe your prayers are being answered for us. Moms condition remains pretty much the same...sleeping, babbling but still trying to sing, still can hold my hand and smile. I am so blessed. This is such precious time. So now I’m sitting in the dark with some random musings on the amazing outpouring of love and affection I’m finding that people in her NH have for her! Staff I’ve never met (like 2nd shift cleaning people, etc) are stopping in to recount funny stories about her. The Priest who performs Mass here on Wednesday’s heard about her condition and dropped in to say a blessing for her and us, even though we’re not Catholic. A favorite aide visited on her day off to check on her. A comfortable gerichair appeared today when the Social Worker heard I’d slept in a chair last night. A tray of coffee and donuts appeared in her room when the staff saw the family visit. I was trying hard to keep it together, but that tray turned me into a blubbering mess!
i realize some posters demonize Nursing Homes, so I’m so thankful that I found one with such humanity. It just shows that Medicare ratings aren’t everything, and sometimes second choices can work out for the best.
Thank you all and I will keep you posted as we move on down the path.
(15)

Prayers for you both. May her passing be as simple, gentle, and sweet as it was for my own dear mom.
I will swear until my last breath that my dad entered the room behind me and took her hand to accompany her Home just before she was gone.
May those dearest loved by your mother who have preceded her do the same.
(6)

Prayers to you and to your Ella. You say she is ready and so are you, which I think in itself is a blessing. May you both be surrounded by peace and love.
(3)

Rocketjcat, wishing you Strength, Peace and Love in the coming days, as your Mom transitions to eternity. I have been through this process with all 4 of our parents, and tried my best to see that life is a journey, and we can only be so lucky to have loving family around us as we go home. Your Mother is so blessed to have you right there with her, try to see the meaning of her blessed life, and this now is not the end, but a new begining to the beautiful afterlife, all will be allright.

I will pray that her final time here on earth is gentle and kind, and that you find peace that you have been an amazing caregiver, and should be proud of how you have lovingly managed her care for so long. Take care of yourself.
(7)

Prayers for Ella and Rocketjcat.

Traveling mercies Ella.
(3)

We are sitting with you
(4)

Rocket, praying for you and Miss Ella
(2)

Rocket, thinking of you and Ella.
(3)

i appreciate hearing from someone that asks for prayers. it's nice to have someone that loves their mother and don't consider them a burden. it's hard to say good bye .
(3)

May Ella be blessed and accompanied by the Angels on her journey to eternity.
(2)

It's good that she is comfortable. I will pray for peace and rest for you both. I know this must be so difficult. Take care of yourself.
(4)

I will pray for you and your Mom. May God surround you both with his love and comfort!
(3)

My thought are with you and your mother rocketjcat.
(1)

Rocketjcat,

God bless you and your mom. You are handling this with such grace. I can only hope that I will be able to do that. I’ve struggled with letting go of people I have lost. I am hoping I won’t do that when it’s my mother’s time. I am going to remember your example and try to follow it.

I pray all will go as well as can be expected to go for both of you. I think it’s lovely of you to sing to her.

My mom’s favorite hymns are, How Great Thou Art, Amazing Grace and Ave Maria.

She and my dad danced to Frank Sinatra. Music is joyful. She will love that. You are a loving, gentle and tender daughter. Your mom is blessed to have you. Hugs and prayers!
(2)

Hugs for you rocketjcat. We are all with you.
(2)

Prayers and hugs to you both!. I always tell folks that I would not have made it through my mom's last week without the wisdom and support of the kind souls on this site.

Lean on us, Rocket. So we can pass on the support we've all gotten.
(4)

Best wishes to everyone involved. Yours, Margaret
(1)

Prayers for your mum and for you. Those time lines sound about right. It certainly helps to know what to expect.

My mother passed very peacefully in December a couple of days after she stopped eating and drinking. The previous 6 months she started eating less, lost weight and was sleeping more. They put her on oxygen too at the end. I was more than ready and felt relief for both of us.

After the years of illness, it is a blessing when they pass peacefully. May your mum's transition be an easy one. (((((((hugs))))
(4)

Prayers already sent, Rocketjcat. Please keep us informed.
(1)

I also will be hoping that this transition is easy for you. It is hard to say good bye, even when we know they are going to a better place, where there is no more pain nor discomfort and those who have gone before will be there to greet them.

I sat with my mother as my step father eased from this life to the next. He was lucky, he had a peaceful death. I stayed with him and Mum until she was ready to go home (he died in the hospital).

The young nurse who was with us did a remarkable job too. It may have been his first death on a shift, but he handled himself well and was able to meet Mum's needs too.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter