My mom's hospice said she is actively dying.

Follow

It started yesterday so we are on 32 hours since eating and talking. She is congested and hasn't opened her eyes in about 24 hours. Her extremities aren't mottled and she has deep breathing with the congestion noise I've read about. She seems at peace, I wonder how long it will be? I'm running out of things to say, it feels so trite sometimes to say the same thing. Just need to hear what you all have to say, I don't want her to go but at the same time she isn't here with us. Please respond - how long?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.

Comments

Show:
1 2 3
I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time of it! In my Moms case, the Actively Dying stage took about 5 days, and it was pretty tough! I'm praying that this time for you will go swiftly, and soon she will be wrapped in the arms of the Lord. Hugs!
(2)

Praying for you. Same situation my 91 year old Aunt is being cared for by Hospise. God is good and will call his children home to be with him
(0)

So sorry for your loss. She's at peace. Hugs to you.
(1)

I am a hospice nurse and even though I have done this for 6 years , I learn something new every day from my dying patients. It is such a different type of nursing. It is true that the hearing is the last to go or may be never leaves. It is important to give them permission to leave and tell them you love them and that you will be ok. This very important as they will stay alive to hear that from their loved ones. God speed...
(1)

Dearest Wisteach ~ At last your Mom is in the loving arms of God. She is truly at rest and in paradise. During this Holy Week, I only hope the end will come as quickly and peacefully for my Mom as it did for yours. My deepest sympathies for the loss of your dear mother.
(1)

Please keep posting on, as the days go by, we are here for you. Hugs, M88
(1)

Wisteach sorry.. Like others said she was at peace...hugs..
(1)

Wisteach, it all sounds so beautiful, and I can't imagine a better ending for a beautiful life now ended. I know and understand exactly how you feel, as my Mom's life ended very much the same way, she looked at peace and lovely in the end. I miss her and my Father, every day and heart goes out to you for your loss, and only time heals our broken hearts. My God accept your Mother into the gorgeous after life we call Heaven, and may she be rejoined with all of her Loved ones gone before her. May God keep you in in his loving arms, and support you through this difficult time. I'm sure you have been an amazing daughter, and now deserve some rest. God bless you!
(2)

I'm so sorry for your loss wisteach.
Your description sounds so peaceful and loving, and I'm glad the family was able to come together in harmony.
(2)

This thread was so comforting to me during this time, thank you. My mom passed Monday morning, the first day of spring. Her sisters, brother and a niece visited with her Sunday evening and we shared spaghetti and connected with each other while keeping vigil that really just happened by chance as it was nothing that was set up or planned. She loved people and as they said their goodbyes and departed I thought that was what she loved…eating, talking and laughing with others. As I sat by her bedside that evening wanting to stay the whole night I knew she would want me to sleep and not fuss over her. I cried, hugged her and kissed her and then the next morning she was gone. In the dark she lay still. No more labored breathing, no more diaphragm moving up and down to help her breather, no more oxygen and no more jaw hanging open. Her mouth was closed, her eyes were shut and there appeared to be a light expression of utter peace around her lips unlike any I had seen that last seven days. I am still so sad but relieved that she is without the agony of not being able to move, breathe, or express her love to those around her. Thank you all for your support. I hope that in the future I can help you all just as much.
(3)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Related
Questions