Follow

My mom's little body finally succumbed to her years long battle with Alzheimer's on Sunday, June 14, at approximately 11:45 a.m.

It wasn't unexpected, and a day or two before she passed, although having been completely un-ambulatory and unable to move at all for many weeks, I witnessed her raising her arms as if she was reaching for those who were encouraging her to pass over.

I told her it was OKAY to cross over to those who were waiting for her, but since I knew the rest of the family were on their way and would be here to say their own personal goodbyes, I also asked her to TRY and hold on just another couple of days.... told her it wss HER CHOICE!

She took her last breath as I was massaging her arms, so I KNOW she was with me and that I was giving her as much comfort as I possibly could.

Godspeed, mom! You're now in the arms of the LOVE OF YOUR LIFE, your dearly departed husband of 50+ years, with Bonne Maman, and Bonne Papa, the child, Paul, that you lost at childbirth, and ALL of the rest of your departed relatives, friends, and even your pets!!!

I'm CERTAIN that you've been made welcome and that they've all gathered together to embrace you.

You were/are The VERY BEST MOTHER THAT A GIRL COULD HAVE EVER HOPED FOR and I'm going to miss you tremendously!!!

The ONLY problem that I'M HAVING at the moment is my inability TO CRY!!! I DON'T KNOW WHY the tears aren't coming!!! I'm just completely NUMB.

Michele

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Very sorry about your loss. One can say they are in a better place now and that is true, but its never fun. You are fortunate you were there at the end.

I think you will have plenty of time to cry. When my dad died of ALZ two years ago I went on pretty normally for a couple weeks as we planned funeral etc. A month later the tears flowed. (and I am a man, so I don't like to admit I cry)

But again, very sorry.
(2)

So sorry for your loss. The tears will come. As a Caregiver I personally had to now be the adult making decisions for my mother. After her death all I could remember was the sweet lady who was not my "Mom" anymore and frail. It was a childhood friend who was reminiscing that brought on the tears. I try to push the last 3 years of my Moms life to the back of my mind letting the old memories come to the forefront.
(4)

Michele, my sympathies for the loss of your mother, and compliments to you for recognizing the value and wonderful life your mother provided you.

Don't worry about the tears; sometimes they don't come while you're dealing with the necessary end of life issues, then they fall like rushing Niagara waters when you're past the immediate end of life issues and begin to segue into a new life.
(4)

Michele, I am so sorry for the loss of your precious mom. Your feelings (or lack of them) are natural and normal. Your grief will change as the days, weeks and months go by. Accept and allow it to come as it may. (((Hugs)))
(3)

Big ((((((hugs)))))).Numb is normal at this point. The tears will come. Blessings to you for all the love and care you gave your mum.
(3)

I'm so sorry for your loss, Michele. I'm sure the tears will come when you're ready to grieve this huge loss. Sending you a big hug and a prayer for peace.
(4)

I am very sorry for your loss. Your in my thoughts.

Hugs!!!
(4)

Thank you ALL for your comforting words!!!
(2)

I didn't cry after my father's physical body passed for a couple of weeks. I had cried for years as dementia took my father away one piece at a time. I had been Dad's guardian but had a few battles with an estranged brother after his death over the funeral (Mom had pre-made most arrangements years ago but EB wanted to challenge everything). After filing for and being appointed personal representative in probate court, I spent a morning taking Dad's name off the joint accounts, burial plots, safety deposit boxes and remaining deeds for some rental property. I started crying on the trip home.
(3)

Michele,

What a lovely statement you just made. I think the tears will come after your brain catches up to your heart. When you least expect it the tears will flow. When I lost my mom five years ago I broke down at the lettuce aisle when I saw the lettuce I used to pick up for my mom. It's the little things.

God Bless you!
(5)

I'm so sorry for your loss.
(2)

Sorry for the loss of your dear mother. May you find peace and comfort in the memories of your mother. What a blessing to be with your mom as she passed. Thank you for taking the time to let us know. May God bless you and keep you in his loving care. Hugs!
(5)

I am so sorry for your loss.

May God grant you grieving mercies and comfort during this difficult time.

What a blessing to know where she is and to know that you will join them all one day.
(3)

I'm so sorry for your loss.
(3)

So sorry for your loss.
Its comforting to know that her loved ones that passed before her came back to help her cross over ♡ My brother was a nurse for many years and witnessed patients reaching for and talking to deceased loved ones just before they passed. Sending love and light. Xo
(4)

lotsokittycats, that's as good a passing as it gets. I'm soooo happy for you that you were with her, touching her, soothing her with words, covering her with your love. May you have peace in your heart . ((hug))
(3)

Michele,
Im very sorry for the loss of your sweet mom. You may simply be too tired to cry and as you said, she was ready to go. There is great peace in knowing a person was finished with this life. I’m glad you shared her memory with us. Take good care of yourself. Hugs
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter