Follow

It never ends. Ground hog day, over and over. Pee on the floor, poop all over the toilet, toothpaste all over the walls, potato chips on the bathroom floor(?), oatmeal on the refrigerator, floor and counters, tea and honey from one end to the other.....I know some of you know what I'm talking about. Add FILS unwillingness to exercise, drink water, eat meals. The constant sound of a walker shwacking the walls, the shuffle of feet all hours of the day and night, the daily confusion, conversations of poo, Depends, the sounds of Adam 12 over and over every day. The obsession with tissues,socks and bowels....I could go on and on but you get the picture.

How to cope with this insanity of caring for FIL 24/7? I do pretty well most days but lately I'm restless, irritable and discontent. I pray, I try to stay in the moment (to not freak out that I'll be doing this for 20 YEARS), I practice acceptance - tolerance,patience and love. Yet some days I just want to scream, run away, quit. Today is one of those days. Will I do any of those? No. I will however thank each and everyone of you. You provide me a sense of not being alone in this crazy planet of caregiving, give me hope I can continue on and do my best, give me a place to scream if not out loud then with my venting written words. So..... Thank you. Here's to another day of being of service to others. God Bless us all.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I moved in to take care of Mom on Jan 13th 2012. On Feb 2nd she asked me 27 times, what the date was (she was trying to do her bills). That's when I knew. Yes,it was groundhog day and it has been ever since.
Vent girl. We get it.
God bless you ALL, because you all get me through this.
(3)

I know so much what you're talking about, Heidigreene! I don't know how we hold it all together. I remember hearing my father on his walker going down the hall. Thunk step step. Thunk step step. And how often I've heard the Andy Griffith whistling. My father is gone now, so no more walker sound. I miss it. I still have Andy Griffith, though, broken up by Bill Cosby and the Game Show Network. Same thing every day.

The thing I find most troubling is the morgue-like feel of the house. No one visits. No family, no friends. Only my mother, me, and the TV. All I can say is thank goodness for television! I would truly go insane. And thank goodness for this group so I can say that.
(2)

Hugs.!!!
(2)

Bless us all!

Vent away.
(2)

Oh Heidi, I wish I could give you a big hug and a magic wand that would take you away for a day of rest and relaxation. What you're living with sounds like it would try the patience of a saint. {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} to you.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter