Is your elderly Mom or Dad.......a back seat driver?

Follow

As if I don't have enough worries, lets add this to the arsenal. My mother is the
worst passenger a person could ask for in their vehicle. She is the proverbial, 'back seat driver'! It drives me crazy. She has to comment on all aspects of my driving. She has macular degeneration, but she has 'perfect vision' to criticize my driving. I could be talking to her while we drive and she will interrupt and say something about either mine or another drivers driving. I go too fast, I follow too close, there's another vehicle near me, etc. It never ends! Let's hear from others who go through craziness that is somewhat off track from the normal caregivers complaints.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.

Comments

Show:
1 2 3
The more I read about other elders on all these forums the more I believe the elders will comment on driving, and anything else, because they have no one else to talk to :(
(0)

I feel your pain. its just part of mothers overbearing personality.
(0)

To Shamrock17, most people deal with control issues from dementia parents in different ways. Some parents admonish their adult children out of fear from past historical misgivings. Nobody wants to have past mistakes thrown in their face repeatedly. Lonely senior years can become unbearable but sometimes fixable. Tactful handling of feelings of caretakers is advisable when mentally feasible.
(0)

To the JERK that put a bag over the mother in-laws head. You have a problem and you should get help and remember this. What goes around comes around.
(0)

My mother in law is a back seat nightmare. You're going too fast, watch out for that car, those cars are going awfully fast, turn here. I finally had enough and told her if she didn't stop I would put a bag over her head so she could not see anything. She didn't stop, I stopped the car & put the bag over her head. It pissed her off, but her comments slacked off. If I got tired of it, I threatened with a bag, she shut up. Problem solved.
(1)

several years ago my truck engine let loose on me. probably just crappy machine work when the shop built the engine. my 90 yr old aunt told me that it probably broke because i never ran it hard enough. gotta blow em out every now and then she says. thats bad when a 90 yr old lady thinks you drive too slow. shes the same gal who occasionally trike rides with me and she would appreciate if youd pour the coal to it and run thru some gears. its hilarious. we get photographed a lot.
(2)

When I first started driving my dad around he would criticize my driving. One day I told him that if he didn't like the way I drive, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if he hired someone else to drive him everywhere he needs to go. There have been no more complaints about my driving since then.
(2)

Mom would always make little comments, but when we took her car away, suddenly we were all terrible drivers.
Snoozi--- NY passes all the elder drivers no matter what. Mom put her foot on the gas instead of the brake, the engine was screaming and she could not do a parallel park or 3 point turn. They passed her.
(0)

Roscoe, *your* mom is the backseat driver for your whole life, not just your car!!
And I just had another one of those nightmares where my parents are back alive and we are in some land that is an odd combination of where I grew up and where I live now, and this time Mom got into the driver saide and started driving and drove us right into a big ditch before we realized we did not need to let her do that. I actually used to have a lot of nightmares where I am supposed to be driving but I am not, either the car is under its own control, or somehow I have to reach everything from the back seat before we wreck or the police notice this...got to be a metaphor for something!
(1)

Unfortunately my husband is a back seat driver,,,No he does not have dementia (thank God) he just thinks he is a better driver than me. I tell him often that I can see the on coming traffic and can make decisions without his input., LOL!!
(1)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Related
Questions