Follow

Yesterday I had an in-house Easter visit with my 95 y/o mom. Still with masks, everyone vaccinated and still segregated from rest of residents. But that's another post. My husband and I went for our scheduled Easter visit and things were going along quite well - it was a very coherent visit. Mom was having a really good day. As we stood up to leave and approached the door, she says, 'You know, I haven't gotten my period again this month. It's been 2 months now'. Being caught off guard, I jokingly asked if she was pregnant. She said, "maybe". It was funny, but the more I think about it, I wonder where their minds go to bring up things so mundane in the big scheme of their lives. She rarely talks about my dad or deceased brother. I would think they would recall more life-defining events. Just sharing in case anyone needed a little chuckle!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Just before the pandemic restrictions I stopped in to see my friend's mom at the retirement home. During the course of the conversation she asked 59 yr old me "you're not pregnant are you?". I had a hysterectomy so she was in the ball park anyway 😂
(2)

My mother announced one day to all within hearing that that she’d had 2 husbands. She hadn’t.

She had secretly gotten engaged when she’d graduated from HS in 1929 to a lovely sweet man who was also wealthy, but a hopeless alcoholic.

Her overly protective over brothers had had fits when they found out about her choice, and years later, found a man they deemed worthy of her while doing civilian defense work.

Once she met him, she fell head over heels, and they married in 1942 after knowing each other for 6 weeks, and remained so until his death.

He was my father, her only husband, but I’ve always wondered if her 13 year engagement stayed in her mind as a marriage. It wasn’t.
(0)

That’s funny! I’d hope she feels relieved
(0)

Those are the moments that sometimes make it all worth it when it comes to caregiving.
Much like taking care of a child ya just never know what is going to happen or what they are going to say.
File that a way in your mind and when you need a chuckle, or someone else does, share it.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter