Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
My suggestion would be to hire a companion to show her around this new town and activities in which she might could be involved. A male companion would be great. 😀
(1)

Thanks ramiler - I am betting you are right. I feel silly even complaining at all, but figured this was a safe forum to do so. "Getting it out" is half the battle. Thanks everyone for listening and commenting!
(0)

You're an adult and have done perfectly fine for many years w/o Mom's constant questions and advice. She's a Mom so for her, no matter how old you get, you'll always be her little boy. She will never lose the desire to help you, connect with you or want "what she thinks" is best for you. She loves you almost more than her heart can hold. I know this because I'm a Mom too. Try to remember that she's not questioning your choices but it's her way of trying to help you as misguided as it is. My other suggestion would be short, calm conversations about how you appreciate her wanting to help, but she raised a smart man and you've got whatever it is handled. This will be a reacurring discussion, I also know this from being an adult with a family and living with my Dad who I love, but drives me crazy for the same reasons your Mom does you. It does get better, but it will never go away because of her maternal love for you. Take a deep breath and remind yourself that though she is a pain in the neck she truly means well and is coming from a place of love. I hope this helps a bit. Good luck.
(0)

You're an independent adult capable of running your own life without Mom's constant suggestions and comments. She is a Mom, so to her no matter how old you are, you will always be her little boy. She will never stop wanting to connect with you, help you and wish for "what she thinks" is best for you. She loves you almost more than her heart can hold. As someone who is both a Mom and an adult child with a family living together with Dad I kind of see both sides. I've learned to try and remember that all of the constant questions and chatter are usually a misguided attempt to either help or connect with you. It's difficult I know, but we have found that short, calm reminder talks can help. Be careful not to accuse and remind her of what a competent son she's raised and that whatever her issue is you've got it handled. Also don't hesitate to ask for her opinion sometimes so she still feels important to you. This problem will never go away, maternal love runs deep, but it can become more manageable. I take a lot of deep breaths and remind myself "Dad loves me and he means well" this seems to help me from going completely insane sometimes and also venting with a trusted friend helps me to get the situation back into perspective again. I hope this helps. Good luck.
(0)

Thanks Bunnybill, I do really try to keep that mindset. (I'm her little girl, btw. Lol. But I do have a wife nonetheless. :-) ). My wife does remind me rather often that Mom is doing what she does out of love, but she drives her nuts too! I'll say again that just being able to complain about it without hearing silly things like "you'll miss it when she's gone" (well DUH, we ALL know that!!) has been such a help. Everyone has been so kind and helpful, we sure appreciate it!
(1)

It's certainly reasonable to feel "nuts". Besides all the "momisms" to deal with, you're also adjusting to having a roommate! I sense that you are a caring person and I'm sure with time you'll find a system that works for your new threesome. Hang in there and take care.
(0)

I think assisted living place would be good idea.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter