Follow

Feeling guilty and just need a little support. My mom has been having trouble recognizing people, so our caregiver/family friend has been visiting her in a care facility, and I found out that she intermittently has been pulling down her mask.

Her doc called me and complained about her caregiver not being compliant. I talked so my mom's caregiver, who told me that she was having real issues with facial recognition, and acknowledge that she did it, limiting it to times when my mom wasn't recognizing her when they are in a room by themselves (Both are vaccinated). Mom's doc understood the issue about face masks and facial recognition, but he was firm about the mask and I understood. I went back and forth with the facility for our caregiver to use clear surgical masks, and I finally got approval for it. But...

My mom now has a cough - although it's not covid from repeated testing, and she seems to feel okay other than that for now. Her doc has put her on antibiotics. They aren't sure what it is, and I feel entirely guilty that my mom is sick (though our caregiver/family friend isn't). I imagine that somehow her caregiver passed something to her, although I have no proof of that, and ultimately my mom could be fine.

I'm just exhausted of trying to figure out the right thing to do. Being in the hospital with covid meant that she has had a serious decline. I know my mom is in the last stage of her life, and I don't regret our family friend touching, dropping her mask, and trying to connect with my mom and make those days something other than a series of sterile interactions while seem to confuse and scare her. But every imperfect choice seems to lead to guilt.

I am exhausted.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I pull mine down now when we are in Mom’s room.

We are both vaccinated.

My mother is having trouble figuring out who I am.

She lives with ENOUGH terror. If I can let her get a glimpse of a familiar face, I’m going to do it. Not in other spaces in her facility. But, in her room? Yep.
(1)

Words matter. When we use the wrong word it can make a real difference. You are not a felon who does evil for the pure joy of seeing others in pain. That is where "guilt" belongs. The other G word, the correct one for all you are currently suffering is "grief". You are witnessing losses for all involved that you cannot prevent. It is worth grieving for. Guilt indicates that you have the power to change all of this with the wave of some magic wand, if only you could remember where you put it. You can't. There's no fix it for many of the losses we experience in a long life. I am so very sorry for your pain. All of life, even with its many joys, is frought with perils that no one "meant", that no one "forsaw", that no one has the power to change. My heart goes out to you. I hope just venting all of this helped you. I wish you the best.
(0)

I believe the caregiver did the right thing. Showing human kindness by pulling down the mask was the considerate thing to do. And there’s no way of knowing if this caused your mom’s cough. Sickness can be caused by any number of things, most all outside our control. I know the dread of losing a parent, please realize it’s normal and make as much peace with it as possible
(0)

Oh, for heaven's sake!

I am by no means an anti-masker! But seriously! Both mom and friend are vaccinated! Either you believe the vaccine will protect you or you don't! And if you don't believe it will protect you, then why bother jumping through hoops to get it?

Your mom doesn't have Covid. She has a cough. It could be a cold; hell, it could be allergies, since the pollen this year is out of control! You did not make mom sick! How this doctor could even put that on you is a disgrace! And why on Earth is he giving her antibiotics? Has she tested positive for an infection? You say mom is at the end - and I am truly sorry, you have my deepest sympathies - so what exactly does this doctor hope to accomplish at this point? Isn't it better for mom to have some friendly, familiar loving faces around her that she can see, and not some masked "strangers" that might scare her or cause her agitation?

I think so long as your friend is following the protocol and masking up entering and leaving the hospital, so as not to expose any other patients, let the masks come off around mom, and DO NOT feel guilty about it! You have done nothing wrong.
(0)

"Mom is sick & I feel guilty"

How about "Mom is sick & I feel sad" ? Is that it?

It's OK to feel sad about that.
(3)

Thank you for saying that this isn’t my fault.
(0)

Thank you for the reminder to focus on the good.
(0)

Thank you so much. Your words are a comfort.
(0)

What's with your guilt?

Did you cause your mom's illness?
Can you cure her illness?
Can you control her what's happening to her?

If the answer is no, what exactly are your feeling guilty about. If every imperfect choice leads to guilt, your expectations are way out of line. No one can be a perfect caregiver. Instead of trying to be an “A” caregiver, be more of a “B” person. Accept what you can't control.

The right thing to do is to love her, advocate for her proper care, and cherish these final days with her.

PS: if her doctor expects her to keep her mask on, he apparently has little knowledge of AD.
(3)

Coughs can come from anywhere, or anyone. A visit from an old friend probably made your mom's day. Cut yourself some slack, it sounds like you're doing great.
(4)

Cut yourself a break. There's a far greater likelihood that Mom picked up a cough from another resident than from your friend. Nursing homes are worse than preschools for spreading various cooties around.

At this point in your mom's life, focus on the good and try to worry less. Your mom had the happiness of seeing her friend, and that's worth more than anything. Nothing you do in terms of decision-making is really going to make a huge difference in the end of her life, but happy times seeing friends are priceless.

Self-imposed guilt does no one any good and hurts only you, so you have my permission to stop feeling it.
(3)

Sorry that your mom is going through health issues. Please stop feeling guilty about things that you have no control over. How is any of this your fault? Why are you assuming responsibility for it? We simply can’t control what others do. Besides, if both are vaccinated, they have taken all precautions.

I hope your mom feels better soon. Know that none of this is your fault.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter