Follow

She was taken by ambulance last Friday morning to the hospital. She was diagnosed with c-diff and she was severely dehydrated. Her blood pressure was in the low 50's and they gave her dopamine to get it back up. She was in ICU for 3 days and is now in a regular room. Her bp goes between being too high (160's) to the low end (90's) and her pulse rate is in the 100's. She spiked a high fever (103) but they got it under control in the ICU. She is on breathing treatments for her rapid and shallow breathing and she is wheezing. She is sleeping more than awake, and that is definitely not normal for her.

The hospitalist came by yesterday and spoke of hospice. I was thinking we could put her in rehab, but she said she doesn't qualify and this is the best thing for her. We are using the same hospice company we used for Daddy and they are great.

I had a long talk with Mom yesterday morning and told her I loved her, what a great mother she is, and if she wanted to go and be with Daddy it was okay. She has a hard time talking and it wears her out. I also talked to her in the ICU one night and I swear I saw Daddy in the corner. She told me that Dad would be there soon.

I don't want to lose her, but she isn't living, and hasn't been since Daddy died. I just hope and pray she goes with no pain. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, and she is not tremoring at all.

I didn't know there was such a thing as inpatient hospice. Last night was the first night I haven't spent the night there. The nursing supervisor (and all the nurses) told me to go home because if I didn't get some rest I would be in the room next to her. I know that is true, but I don't want her to be alone. My sister and her husband came down yesterday and they are there now.

Please pray for a calm and peaceful trip to Heaven.

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
SavingGranny, my heart goes out to you. I just want you to know that I made a similar post about my mom on here almost a year ago. She passed that night in her sleep. I wish your mom a swift and safe journey. Hugs to you both.
(1)

I'm so sorry to learn of this development. This is always a difficult situation, but I'm glad your sister and brother-in-law are with you so that each of you can help emotionally support the other.
(1)

Savinggranny, I can't imagine the emotions you are having. You sure are putting your mom's needs ahead of your own. That must be difficult. I do pray for you and your family. I pray for peace for you all.
(1)

That's a very moving piece you have written. You are doing the right thing for your Mom. Don't forget to take care of yourself as you go through this. All the best to you and your family.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter