Follow

Mom's long fight is over. The NH called me at 3:30 am to tell me she had passed aged 101 years 3 months. Sis and daughter had visited her yesterday am and I was there in the afternoon. It was clear that the end was nearing she had stopped fighting (but knowing Mom's fighting spirit over the past 4 months, no one would predict if it would be that night or days from now).
I held her hand, put a soft stuffed bunny in her arms and she stroked it. She was semi-awake, not really conscious but I think she knew I was there. For the first time in years, she seemed calm and peaceful.
So, the final activities and plans begin. I have no idea what to do, being executrix. I guess I will figure it out as I go.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
My condolences to you Amy. Stay strong.
(1)

So sorry about your mother, Amy.
(1)

Oh Amy so sorry.. Take time to reflect about your fonder memories.. Hugs..
(0)

My prayers and thoughts are with you Amy
(1)

Amy, I too offer my condolences. Your mother was a strong woman - imagine that she lived over a whole century!

StaceyB gives very good advice on the next step, which is relaxation before you start the planning. Her suggestions on the funeral and related plans are excellent as well.
(1)

AmyGrace, my heartfelt sympathy to you and your family.
(0)

So sorry for your loss, Amy.
(0)

Amy, I too am so sorry for your loss. These first few hours are incredibly difficult, and from experience at having lost 3 parents in a 14 month span of time, my greatest suggestion for you would be to contact the funeral home and tell them you will be in tomorrow, and that you are taking today to grieve your Mom. After the many family phone calls you will probably face today, you will need to get a good night's sleep, and start fresh in the morning. Then go to the funeral home, and they will help you sort out the arrangements. Bring with you any financial paperwork, such as life insurance policies, and her bank account information. They will assist you in requesting her death certificates too, and request many, and even more than you think you might need, as you never know what you might need on for. Once you have the initial arrangements sorted, of course you will need a nice tablet for notes. Depending on how big of a service you have planned, flowers, food, memory picture boards (don't go overboard especially if it is too painful), abd in list others who can help you, and delegate any tasks that you can, people do ask because they Love you and do want to help! Often people have those little memorial pamphlets made up, or you can do them yourselves, which is what we did, and those copy mart type places help a lot too! Pick out a nice photo or two, a favorite poem or bible verse, and information about your Mom's life, dates, family etc. And they can print them off for you. The funeral home will have some there that are nice but generic, but they do have them, and also many options of nice verses and poems to choose from as well. They also often have a sort of template for the type of service you are planning. Costco or other big box stoes are great for food, drink, paper plates, napkin, silverware, cups, even flowers. My biggest suggestion is to NOT RUSH THINGS! Many times there is a quick turn around between the time in which we've only just lost our Loved ones and the funeral, and this "speeding it all along" doesn't need to cause you this sort of stress. Our family did this with the first 2 funerals, then on the last one, our Mom, we just said Stop, we all need this day to decompress and tomorrow we will begin. Keep your check off list handy, and my other suggestion is to hold your wake or coffee hour at the church, funeral home or a restaurant or a park, weather permitting, or maybe even at her assisted living place, as this way even her frieds there can attend. Having them in your home heaps on a lot of added stress of cleaning, gardening and what not, and we did it here in our home, along with doing everything by ourselves, and it was way way too much for only the two of us to do alone, especially as it was summer, and my husband felt he had to perfect the lawn and garden, and have the outside patios perfect. Take your time, think it through and delegate to those who genuinely wish to help you! My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. God bless
(2)

Oh Amy, it sounds as though she fought right to the end. She is at rest, and I hope you feel peace in your heart in the days ahead. ((hugs))
(1)

Oh Amy. I'm so sorry, but so glad that your mom is at peace.
(0)

AmyGrace, I am so sorry for your loss. I was reading your posts yesterday and wondering how your mother was doing. I know this has been quite an ordeal and I am relieved that she is now at peace. I can imagine you have so many kinds of feelings right now. Take care of yourself.
(1)

I'm sorry for your loss AmyGrace. It sounds like a beautiful, peaceful end to a very long life. (((Hugs)))
(0)

I'm right there with you AmyGrace, planning my mom's funeral for Friday. You'll be in my prayers. Just take one day one step at a time with deep breaths along the way.
(1)

I'm so sorry for your loss.
(1)

Sorry for your loss but glad she is free of pain. Take care of you.....
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter