Follow
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Is Mom suffering from Dementia? It is the most common one out there. They often feel they are being stolen from. My husband's mother was so continuous with this one, about how her caregiver Wilma was stealing this or that on any given day, that now, 25 years later we still, when we cannot find something, say "Wilma took it". And move on.
Does Mom live with you? She may need placement, as you won't want many years of accusations or being treated as a doormat. She can do that well enough somewhere where they are adequately paid to undergo the abuse.
In short, I have never known dementia to actually improve someone's personality. There is the rare one who goes sweet. But that is, as I said, rare.
(1)

I went through that initially, so I took her to the storage units, opened them up, said I would leave her there in 1) the blazing sun with a temperature of 105 degrees for as long as she wanted to dig through the boxes, or 2) in the freezing cold of 11 degrees with sleet coming in for as long as she wanted to dig through the boxes, BUT she had to put everything back in order herself because I would not do it.  It is over 800 sq. ft. of her stuff.  Oh, yeah, she COULD start with everything else that is piled in my house and garage that  I had to dump there because I REFUSED to get a third storage unit for all of that.  I had already sold the furniture and appliances and the house.  After repeating this several times, and "offering" to repeat this several times, she finally quit accusing me of stealing her things and berating me.  Also, a change in meds helped tremendously.
(0)

Grandmaletta, I see from your profile that your Mom has Alzheimer's/Dementia, what you are going through is not unusual.

Please read this article to get some ideas on what to do: https://www.agingcare.com/articles/how-to-handle-alzheimers-disease-lying-144204.htm

As for the berating, make an appointment with Mom's primary doctor, or go to urgent care, where they can do an Urinary Tract Infection test. Such an infection in an older person can cause that person to be not user-friendly :(
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter