Follow
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Musame, I am so sorry for your loss. You will always remember this time at the end but soon I trust, the happy memories of your Mom will be the fondest & strongest. Take care.
(0)

Musame, I am so very sorry for your loss.
(0)

My mother passed away last Wednesday due to this fall.  May she rest in heavenly peace.
(1)

Thank you everyone for your feedback and heartfelt comments.
My Mom is 86 and will be 87 this Friday.
She is being cared for by Hospice and her Memory Care Nurses.
I was able to spend the entire day with her in her room with a mask as she lays in her bed.
She opened both of her eyes when they turned her over to change her and she looked straight at me as I called her name and told her I was here with her. I seen a tear roll out of her left eye before she closed them again.
She had a very high fever 102 before i left but they gave her some Tylenol and morphine to keep her comfortable.
This is so hard. I MISS and LOVE my Mom so much!!!
(2)

Our balance gets SOOOO bad. I am 78, very active, walk daily, but now, standing on a bus I kind of fly around like a hummingbird holding on to a strap. My entire body feels light and floaty, and slowing down on a walk I will actually swing and sway a bit. I discussed this with my doc, and I have balance exercises that actually really do help. But the fact is that this is the aging process. Here I am, during my youth, never weighing more than 110 pounds, and steady as anything on the bus, now blowing around like a feather in the wind but weighing a good 35 pounds more than the 110 I used to weigh. Age changes us in so many ways, and this is only one. Recently I posted that at 92 years old there WILL be falls. I am convinced they cannot be avoided no matter what we try. It's tough, but it does happen. And in this case, such an awful injury.
(1)

My mother has fallen about 50x since moving into the ALF she lives at in 2015, and 10x at least since she's been in the Memory Care building. She says she wants to die daily, but she's never even been to the hospital for one of her many, many falls. I don't blame the ALF at all for any of her falls, either, as it was not their fault ANY of the times. I'd like to get my mother (who's almost 94) on hospice, but her doctor says she's not ready yet. Which is unfortunate, because she has chronic pain that hospice would be a Godsend for.

However this situation turns out with your mom, sending you prayers for peace and comfort.
(1)

My mom is in an ALF and also fell recently, hitting her head. She spent 3 days in a hospital and was discharged home. Since she is 98, has dementia and many other health problems, we asked Hospice to accept her, which they did. I can only visit with her by video chat if someone helps her. (At least in the hospital I could be in the room with her.) She is so despondent and prays for angels to come take her. It just breaks my heart that she has lived this long and continues to suffer. All I can do now is send her flowers and treats and pray for her to find peace.
(2)

Falls are so scary. I’m so sorry that this has happened. Please keep us updated on how your mom and you are doing.
(2)

I am so very sorry for this result. This can happen so easily, and a subdural hemorrhage can very quick to take an elder. The saddest thing is that it can often pressure areas of the brain so they simply no longer function, leaving the elder really in a vegetative state. I had this happen actually to a quite young friend, in his 30s, who smacked the back of his head coming up under an open cabinet door. He felt fine initially, then was suddenly down and comatose, and died not long after the incident, never awakening again.
I am so very relieved you have called in hospice. You do not mention the age of your Mom, but there is never a good age to lose someone you love. I hope she is kept in a peaceful state. Hugs to you and I am so sorry for your grief.
(1)

I am so sorry your Mother & you are going through this.

Kind thoughts to you.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter