Follow

My mom passed in April after a long battle with Alzheimer's. She was 91. She stayed in our home but had hospice care the last year or so, which I highly recommend. Thank you everyone on this forum for your advice and support. It has been an eight year journey taking care of my parents but I do not regret it (my dad passed in 2014 at 97). I am fortunate in that my mom had the funds to hire caregivers, so we did not have to do it all alone. We dedicated so much of our lives to making sure she got the best care possible and was as comfortable and happy as she could be. We planted a tree in her honor and I will visit her home country to bury her ashes.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
My husband passed away just a few days ago, though his journey was not as long as your mother's. My sincere condolences to you and your family. We too had hospice, but by the time we made the arrangements he had only about 24 hours to live. But those people and that program, from the time we first began to meet with them, were unbelievably helpful and compassionate. Had I realized that we could have avoided skilled nursing, by bring them on board sooner, I would certainly have done so. But we just did not know that he would take such a downturn so quickly. Please, if your loved one begins to have trouble swallowing -that is a sign that possibly the person's dementia has caused the brain's signals to the tongue and muscles that control swallowing to be compromised. The doctor explained that this usually happens in the later stage of frontal/temporal lobe dementia and that the journey is coming to an end. His passing was peaceful, but so sad and I still cannot really believe he is gone. I feel guilt, relief that it is over, yet deep sorrow.
(0)

I'm sorry you've lost your mom, although we all know how the journey ends we can never truly prepare ourselves for that loss.
(0)

Greenie, I'm sorry for your loss. I love the idea of planting a tree. Alzheimer's is so hard.
(0)

My condolences, greenie. You gave your mother the best of care. Wishing you peace and blessings.
(1)

Oh, Greenie, I am so sorry for your great loss. May sweet memories and knowing you did all you could for her bring you peace.
(1)

I am sorry for your loss.

May God keep, comfort, and guide you through this painful time in your life. Rest to sure He is there with you in Jesus' name. Amen
(2)

Thank-you for sharing. Your mother was a fortunate woman.
(1)

Very Sorry for your loss. The tree was a lovely idea.
(1)

Greenie, I am so sorry for your loss. You did amazing care for your mom and she knows and loves you for it.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter