Follow

She just called to say it is her, not me. I said, it is okay. Then, again, I said the wrong thing and she said, you are doing it again and she hung up angry again.

I am stumped and I am not going to call her. Im tired of this.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Sorry I should have remembered that from your other post..
(0)

I just want to record for memory's sake.
She gets meals on wheels and hates it/doesn't eat it. I have cooked for her but my food is pretty awful, if I say so myself ... and this is with trying :).
I can't afford to hire any more people. Financially we are doing all we can ... just cannot afford to add private care to the list.
(0)

Ag recording device makes me think of the FBI.. LOL
I don't know of any..

My Mom hs been telling me recently that she's not hungry. But when I put the food in front of her she eats it all.. She can't remember how to prepare moist dishes and can't make a decision on what to eat.. Maybe getting her meals on wheels will help, she can just heat it up in the microwave..
Have someone come in to prepare a meal for her..Hugs..
(0)

Well, if they are not aware, then how does my Mom "know" she can take it out on me safely. By the way, later that day, I asked her the same question: Do you think I would not care if you passed? And she said "of course you would ... you would be devastated". She said this in the evening. We talked for almost two hours last night and she was so clear. We talked about the past .. when my children were small, how she would take them to the pool every day, the things they did as infants ... so clear ... I had her back for awhile. I treasure that.
I have a question for you all: Since most of our talks take place on the telephone, is there any way to tape these conersations? Two-way. I would like to have the memories. Can anyone recommend a device that would pick up a phone conversations?
Also, how can I allay her fears. I know she is very frightened.
Thank you all for your responses. You truly understand. I cannot make my family understand this. I worry so much. My brothers will NOT even let me speak to this issue which frightens me. Sorry for all the posts ... so much on my mind.
Another thing: she never has any apetite? I tried looking this up and could not find anything about dementia possibly causing the brain to no longer send signals to the person that they are hungry. This may also apply to liquids and this frightens me.
Thank you all for the kind, reasoned responses. I appreciate it so much.
(0)

ag8080 - I agree that your mom is probably singling you out as she knows that you love her unconditionally and she knows that no matter what she says to you - you will not abandon her. You said she did not have mental health issues or personality problems as my mother did; so the dementia is what is taking over at this point. I lived with a lifetime of this behavior - which was abusive to my father and me. And medication truly helped her. But, your mother is different. A change in behavior different from the norm is difficult to deal with; but dementia steals a person bit by bit. My father on the other hand was so sweet and kind that even when he changed with dementia; it was easier for me to adjust as I knew it was not him, but the disease.

It does feel personal when your mother says things to only you and not others; and is frustrating. Best you can try is to fluff it off; change the subject, etc.

Hugs and take care.
(1)

"What is the point of living to a ripe old age if you have to go through this?"

I certainly don't know. My husband was angry when he learned he had dementia. Why couldn't he die of a heart attack like his father, all of his brothers, and even two of his sisters? Why did he have to be the one to live long enough to develop dementia?

I did not have any answers for him. It was what it was and my goal became to ensure the best quality of life he could have and we could have together. He lived ten years. We never did figure out why he had dementia, but we did the best we could and he did have a decent quality of life under the circumstances.

I think it is a perfectly understandable reaction to wonder what the point of living so long is. Maybe your faith will give you an answer or maybe, like me, you'll just learn to live with the mystery. We don't always know why.

Why does she single you out to complain about/to? Because you are there. Because she trusts you to love her no matter what. Because HER BRAIN ISN'T WORKING.

And you are VERY insightful to recognize this disease as a huge loss -- not just to the person who has it, but to all those who love that person. Therapist Pauline Boss talks about the "ambiguous loss" we suffer by having a loved one who is both there and not there. It is a very different kind of mourning. I found her book "Loving Someone Who Has Dementia" to be very helpful about these kinds of issues.

Keep coming back here. We may not always have answers, but we do understand the questions!
(0)

How I wish there were an edit function. I write and hit submit and then I think of something. She definitely has short term memory problems. There is no denying it. She definitely is depressed, which is understandable considering the CHF being so bad and 7 years of it. BUT, she said to me, your brothers don't want me to die. And so I asked do you think I do? And she said I don't know. Why is she just angry at me and not at everyone if it is dementia? That is why I go back to thinking I am doing or saying the wrong things. It is okay for her to talk about just anything, but I have to watch my every sentence and tone of voice (which she rightfully heard as sad today and told me I depressed her).
I am so confused and I know you are all in pain. So am I. If only we could go like Cary Grant did, on the dance floor, he had a pain in his chest ... and said to his partner, I'm not feeling well. He died that day. What is the point of living to a ripe old age if you have to go through this?
(0)

This is a huge loss.
(1)

If it is dementia you need to realize that the Mom you know from your younger years is no longer.. You need to educate your yourself about dementia. She needs your help now more than ever..

Patience is the key...

Look up a women Teepa Snow on YouTube. Her videos are great and give you examples to help with care giving of dementia patients..
(2)

If this is new behavior, and not a continuation of life-long patterns, and if "they" (her doctors?) have suggested dementia, that is the premise I'd go forward with. Hate the disease. Hate what it is doing to your mother. Love your mother and do your best to deal with her. You don't have to put yourself in the line of abusive fire, but hold fast to the belief that this isn't really your mother's true self you are dealing with.
(3)

Well, she has congestive heart failure at a pretty advanced stage and just recently they "think" she may have mild dementia.
(0)

You know, I just don't know anymore. I know she never had mental health issues or personality disorder. She was always very sweet. Now she has put her food down and is bossy. I just wrote a rant somewhere on here ... a long one at the end of several thousand posts and got it all out of my system. The whole family is dysfunctional and probably me, too.
(0)

ag8080, your profile doesn't identify what your mother's impairments are and I can't remember specifically if you have talked about her having dementia. Could you clarify that for us?

If your mother has dementia you can expect lots of emotions that you have never experienced in your life. It is VERY challenging to deal with someone whose brain is not functioning as it has in the past. Is she has lost/is losing her ability to reason then the approach you've used in the past -- talking things out with her in a reasonable way -- isn't going to work. This is indeed maddening!

If dementia is in the picture, your first line of defense is to learn as much as you can about the disease. It helps to know what to expect and not to take the symptoms personally.

I remember being very hurt when my husband stopped saying thank you and even started accusing me of stealing his money! It did help to understand that this is common and not about him or me.
(2)

I can so relate to what your mother is doing to you. My situation was similar. In my mother's case; she had an undiagnosed mental disorder and classic narcissistic behavior. She did call me one time as well to apologize; but it didn't last long either. She was always hanging up on me - criticizing, etc. And always calling for me to get her something or yelling at me if I had not called her. And often she didn't even need what she was calling me to get.

It was suggested to me by a therapist to simply not call her if she hangs up on me. This had been happening so much; and like your mother - she was always right. She had alienated most of the family and her friends. I was always caught in the middle; but the only one who stuck by her and took care of her needs. I do think it is a combination of dementia and mental health issues. Staying away for periods of time was the only thing that worked; otherwise I was enabling her abusive behavior.

My mother eventually was on anti anxiety/psychotic medications which truly helped improve her life. She should have been on medication for so many years; but always refused.

Sending hugs across the miles and take care.
(2)

Oh, and she called me to ask her to get something for her. I am feeing used.
I know, but I feel like something is wrong with this. I never felt used in my life. Always got her things without even having to be asked. But, its like she doesn't say thank you for anything and I wonder "is it dementia" or what?
Im on a roller-coaster ride here and she is aways right! Always.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter