Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I should correct myself. I used euthanasia and assisted suicide like they were examples of the same thing. They aren't. Euthanasia is done by someone else. Assisted suicide is done by the person themselves. I don't think euthanasia is legal in any of the more advanced countries.
(2)

My mother's dementia recently got worse so I joined a support group and one of the first posts was about euthanasia. I find that very depressing because I just want my mother comfortable and as happy as possible, not dead! I don't consider killing people to be compassionate. Suffering isn't nice but we all suffer in some ways.
(2)

People can choose euthanasia, really. Many people kill themselves each year. Some places have legal assisted suicide. I read that California will soon be having legal "death with dignity." Many people with dementia don't want to die, however. They just want for it to be better. Sometimes someone will say, "I just want to die," but when you ask them if they want to die today, they say No. Euthanasia isn't all that easy. It's always something available for later in someone's mind, but not today.
(5)

Civilized societies do not euthanize human beings because they no longer useful. Who decides what is quality of life? How about severely developmentally delayed children? Euthanizing millions of people is not humane. Would you consider the nazis humane for their extermination of what they consider people of lesser value.
(9)

ive lost two elders to dementia ( and poor health ) in the last 3 years . in both cases i have reason to believe the dementia might have dulled their senses enough to actually provide relief from their physical health concerns . they were more blissfully unaware than they were troubled or scared . ( IMO )
(6)

And who decides about their quality of life? You? Hey, you sound like someone with a shred of compassion, probably better you than the next person. But you know darn well the caregiver that knows the person the best would not be the one to decide...so who will it be? Some doc who doesn't want the hassle of taking care of them? Medicare who wuld just as soon not pay for their care? The POA who has been abusing their power to rob them blind and collect any inheritance there might have ever been before you or someone else in the family gets a share? Not meaning to be mean here, but suppose that was legal...can you imagine the post on here enititled "My mom has no quality of life but she won't agree to euthanasia...even though all the healthcare people recommended it be done ASAP! How can I make her see that it's best for everybody?"
(11)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter