Follow

My 83 yr old father who vowed would never accept amputation ended up getting both legs amputated. Medical data does not give a good prognosis post major amputations due to peripheral arterial disease and diabetes.
My father passed away a month ago. I brought him the food he wanted, we watched some YouTube; I left his room perfect as he rested. I would never know that would be our last meal and time together.
Thank you to so many here.
BarbBrooklyn, Beatty, Joann29, deedear, peanuts56, peggysue2020, lealonnie1, cover99, maggie61r, Tchamp, MJ1929, MargaretMcken, Countrymouse, Taarna, Tothill, notgoodenough, Alvadeer, Clairesmom, Isthisrealyreal, polarbear. To anyone I missed my sincere apologies.
You are all beyond caring and wonderful and I will never ever forget.

Simon

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Simon,

Thanks for the update. I am so glad that you found the AgingCare forum to be helpful. There are many wonderful people on this site who helped me as well.

I’m very sorry for the loss of your father. You will miss him. Cherish your fond memories and let go of anything negative.

Wishing you peace as you mourn the loss of your dad.
(1)

Simon,
Thank you for the update, and condolences on your loss. What a good son. 🌳

Those of us whose parents have not yet reached the nursing home stage, would benefit from your wisdom, when you are ready to share. 🙂
(2)

Thank you for this update Simon. I am so sorry for your loss, I know what it feels like to lose parents and it hurts. I'm glad you were able to share that last time together, and that he passed while you weren't there....leaving you w/o the final memory of him taking his last breath. That was his final gift to you, his beloved and devoted son.

Wishing you all the best moving forward.
(3)

Condolences and blessings to you and yours, Simon. What great son you have been.

I’m smiling at your Anthony Bourdain reference, as my dad’s last full meal with me was when we slipped away to a restaurant- no mom - and he ate a super cheesy enchilada and an ice cream Sunday.

Dad food creates the best memories sometimes.

Blessings again
(4)

Simon, I am so sorry for your loss. May The Lord give you strength, grieving mercies and peace for this new season in you life.

Your dad was blessed to have you for a son.

May your future be bright and happy. Your dad is proud of you, remember that.

(((Hugs)))
(6)

Yes and will do.
There is also sense of peace I cannot better describe.
I've been doing some consulting work and have been asked to join a board of directors at another firm.
There's always room for a kid to make his dad proud, right?
❤️
(3)

Thank you Funkygrandma 😅
(1)

Hugs and prayers felt.
Thank you. ❤️
(0)

Yes. I believe you also gave some very practical advice around what would happen.
I do have some lessons learned around MDs in a nursing home setting I will share to help others.
(1)

My deepest condolences to you, Simon. I hope memories of the love you shared with your dad comfort you.
(2)

I too am so sorry for your loss. Now its time for a new chapter in u life. Come back and tell us how u have been doing.
(0)

It was less than a year.
Medical data documents an extremely high mortality rate in these situations post amputation. There is no conclusive reason why.
The first amputation was an emergency situation after infection set in to one of his feet. They had removed one of his infected toes and he felt no pain.
Your foot is basically functionally dead but now just open to infection and sepsis.
The second amputation was to the leg that had the original sore to the ankle.
The vascular surgeon tried but said there is nothing more he could do. Again, you now have a functionally dead limb attached to you with a huge open wound.
I have never gotten over the amputation of his legs and the medical data suggests once a major amputation in this situation, we are already in a different kind of trouble.
I visited him every night as he refused nursing home food.
We would watch Anthony Bourdain on YouTube and I would massage him for better circulation including his two stumps.
(2)

I'm sorry for your loss, but grateful you were able to spend his last day together.
And I'm glad that this forum was of help to you. I hope and pray that you will now take the time to care for yourself, and allow yourself time to grieve.
God bless you.
(4)

Thank you for sharing that.Its both odd and perhaps not so when people close know or feel this is a last meal or last time we will be together this way and that after all the tests, procedures, medications, operations etc.enjoying simple things together feels timeless and is indeed "like being in the Bahamas."
(3)

Deepest condolences on your profound loss, Simon. I am glad you had a that time together just before he passed. We are never ready for the loss of a LO. Hugs and prayers for your time of grief and a new direction in life. (((((Simon))))
(4)

Thank you. I read many of the posts and comments from folks and I was a mess. Thank you for sharing and advice.
(1)

Thank you so much Simon to letting us know. Heart out to you in your grief. How lucky your Dad was to have you. I hope it eases your grief to know how close you were to him. I hope you will stay on Forum to help others where you may. I hope your grief will be eased with good memories.
(2)

❤️ Always for your support and hugs BarbBrooklyn.
(0)

❤️ Thanks daughterof1930.
(0)

Simon, I’m sorry for your loss and wish you the comfort of good memories of happy times with your dad
(2)

His long did he live after the amputation? Just curious how any doctor could advise a double amputation based on your dad's health issues.
(1)

Simon, I'm so sorry for you loss.

Take time to grieve and heal.

(((Hugs))))
(3)

That is a good memory Simon Having the Last Meal together . I Know I Brought My Brother Outside in a wheel chair and it was a Balmy 83 degree day in September and My Brother said " Karen this is Like the Bahamas I could Live in this weather forever . " I knew this would be Our Last time together sitting in the sunlight , eating at the food court and reading a newspaper . I cherish that Moment ! You were there for your Dad Simon - he was Lucky to Have you .
(7)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter