Follow

In reading the posts today it made me think.

If a man and a woman went to Social Services with the same situation, caring for spouses who have a Dementia, in the same financial position, who would the Social Worker be more sympathetic to? The man or the woman? In this society, I think the man.

Of course we woman who have done or are doing the caring for a spouse or LO probably would not have much sympathy. For those who have never done caregiving, I think the SW would sympathize with the man. Even in the year 2023, I think woman are still considered the nurturers. That they should give up lives to care for a spouse or a LO. We are suppose to be able to do everything and do it perfect. Here's a 1982 commercial which had to do with the super woman image back then:

https://youtu.be/3N9K7eoVtm0

This commercial came out when more women were working out of the home. Really gave a false image of what we r capable of. I doubt if many women could keep up that image for long. Not without a lot of help from their husbands.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
" I met a woman yesterday who said how very lucky she was to have 2 daughters."

Reminds me of one time at coumadin clinic when my mother said, "I don't know what people do who don't have daughters!" Most of the people accompanying the elderly were women, of course.
(1)

Interesting analysis, JoAnn

I feel as women that we are expected to do more. I was always the first one to be asked to help care for my parents.

My mom always had the attitude of not wanting to “bother” my brothers. It was okay with her that I was inconvenienced.
(2)

I met a woman yesterday who said how very lucky she was to have 2 daughters. They had to be her chauffeur now due to her recent PD dx - also helped with shopping & arranging other care needs too. While she was very grateful there was an undercurrent that this was their role. Then it was mentioned "my son is sooo succuessful & sooo busy.. etc".

Us women need to be aware of the sterotypes we are teaching the next gen.
(2)

JoAnn,
I think you are exactly right!

I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan....
still, just not as often, not as consistent, and I no longer work.

There is a huge disparity between how the SS treats my husband vs. me, his wife. They see me as only existing to serve his needs, manage his benefits, etc., no matter what my abilities may be now.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter