Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4
Elaine, you are a perfect example of being judged by others! I remember what you went through with your mother & how the firemen treated you...........it was awful. As if you were able to 'clean up' her hoard or 'make her' do anything she didn't want to do! Ridiculous.

Hospice was a huge blessing to me and our family during my father's end of life experience NHWM, similar to you and your brother. Many people simply refuse to embrace and accept the fact that their loved one has a TERMINAL illness and is going to die ANYWAY, and hospice just keeps them comfy during the process. THAT is the bottom line. If hospice was in the business of euthanizing people, they'd have been shut down long ago. Not to mention, their FUNDING would END if the person died.
(3)

"You were so between a rock and a hard place."

Poor Elaine's mother had her UNDER the rock! The biggest rock ever!

None of us "in the know" would ever question anything about you Elaine. You did your best and then some. It's a wonder it didn't all make you ill or worse. Your mom was your mom, it's sad that she's gone, but she "did it her way."
(4)

Elaine, I agree with all. Anyone who knows you and knows a smidge of what you went through would NEVER judge you. You did your best with the Mom you were given, is all I can say. And no court would ever have given you guardianship over her; frankly, thank goodness. Why would you want her in a nice ALF and your having to take abuse for it every day.
On Mom's side, she made her own choices and she lived her own way and no one ever got that away from her; she likely would choose it all again, and have it end where it did.
Love out to you.
(3)

Thanks, disgustedtoo. By "fence" I was thinking of the animosity, especially the "your parents took care of you when you were a child" diatribes against those who place a LO in a facility. However, I also believe those among us who have strong preferences one way or the other should be able to respect the decisions others make, understanding that each situation is different. And I definitely agree with what you said about the blanket statements that "all facilities are bad" sometimes made as an attack against those who choose, or are forced to accept, the use of such facilities. As I've said, every person's situation is a bit different, and along with that everyone's options are a bit different, too.
(4)

Lea,

I really believe what you are saying is absolutely true.

I feel like you do, that some people aren’t ready to accept their loved one’s death. So they blame hospice!

I am not heartless. I know that you are not heartless either.

You and I knew that we did not want any pain and suffering to be prolonged with our family members.

Some people think it’s awful to ask God to take them home. I don’t think that it’s wrong to pray for that. They are dying.

My brother was ready to go. I wanted him to be at peace.

He found peace in the end of life hospice facility.

I don’t understand why some people object to their loved one receiving morphine.

Nurses are keeping patients comfortable. The patients are already dying.

I do fully understand that it is extremely hard for many people to see suffering and death.

We all struggle as we watch people suffer.

I told the hospice nurse that my brother was going to walk out of hospice.

He had done that once before! My brother was like a cat with nine lives.

Plus, he rallied for awhile when his children and grandchildren went to visit him.

So I thought it wasn’t his time yet.

The hospice nurse was honest with me and told me, “No, your brother is not going to walk out this time. He is dying.”

She was compassionate but forced me to accept the truth.

I respect people who don’t sugar coat the facts.

I can handle the truth. I can’t handle when people aren’t truthful with me.

The entire hospice staff was fantastic, nurses, the social worker and clergy.
(2)

Thank you.
(1)

1 2 3 4
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter