Follow

My mom’s memory care residence has had to call the ambulance twice this week. Yesterday I went to the hospital to stay with her while she was in emergency. She is being admitted because the doctors believe her psychosis is related to all the different meds she’s been prescribed over the last month. She has been seen by a neurologist who prescribed Risperidone. The geriatric team prescribed another med and her own doctor has given her meds to calm her when she is agitated. She is hardly eating or drinking and she is shouting that she has been kidnapped and there are killers in her room. She cries constantly. When she’s like this she won’t take her meds. My sister and I spent hours with her one day last week when the LPN called us. She called us b******, she did not love us etc etc. I know this is the disease and am not taking it personally, although it was very difficult to hear. By the time I arrived at emergency yesterday, she was calm, she had no voice. She had been screaming for hours. She was very happy to see me. She cried. Five hours after I arrived, I was still holding her hands when I saw a look in her eyes and I knew the mom I know today had just been replaced by my younger mom. She had no idea who I was. The daughter was replaced by a stranger. She was still calm and this allowed me to question her like a caregiver might. I left there knowing she had 4 children (true), she knew our names. Only the oldest one is married, the other 3 are in school. (We’re all married with grandkids of our own). She’s been married 20 years to a wonderful man who makes coffee every morning and is very helpful around the house. All true except her and my dad have been married 70 years. She told me she had to call her mom to let her know she was ok. My mother is 88 years old. She has never been aggressive, violent and has never used colourful language. I write this to say that the evening and the conversation I had with my mom was extraordinary. I now know where she is in her mind, where she lives and how old she thinks she is. Spending time with her last evening was the best thing I’ve done for myself. I now have a better understanding of how to talk to her, how to reach her while I still can. Not looking for suggestions but if you have something to share, I’d love to hear it. I just wanted to share a happy moment within this dreadful disease.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
What I find is that my mother's behavior changes constantly so what she says one day changes the next. Where she is in her mind is always going backwards, I think, to her younger days. Medication of any kind worsens her dementia so it's got to be limited. Nothing really helps dementia anyway so too many meds just worsen everything, I've found. If and when you're able to find a happy moment with your mom, take it and enjoy it!
Wishing you the best of luck with a difficult situation
(0)

Hopefully, they will take her off all her meds and reintroduce them. My Moms neurologist said if the hallucinations don't bother them, then don't worry. My Mom had a little girl who disappeared when I showed up. She suffered from night terrors too but not enough to medicate for them.

Nice that you had a good evening with Mom. I think my Mom went back to her childhood and I was her mother.
(1)

Just saying, I’m glad you got a glimpse of mom’s world and were open to seeing it. I’m sorry for the painful comments you’ve endured, knowing it’s the disease and accepting that doesn’t take away the sadness of hearing the vitriol. Your mom is blessed to have you and I hope the right combination of meds can be found soon to bring more peace to you both
(1)

Wow. Really interesting experience, and well told. Both sad and beautiful. 70 years! I imagine you might have wanted to tell her "I have a feeling this marriage will last a long, long time."
(1)

Dlane, that is great that you were able to connect with your mom. It really does help in your interaction to know what decade they are living in.

I remember the day that my grandmothers Alzheimer took her back beyond my existence. I was young and it made me very sad but, I could still love her and bring her a smile by being kind, friendly and loving. It did make it easier knowing that I didn't exist because I hadn't been born in her current world. It was easy not to take things personally after that.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful story and experience.
(1)

It depends on the medications. This question is best answered by a doctor or pharmacist.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter