Follow

There's an article in today's NY Times (April 28) about how Medicare Advantage plans frequently deny needed care. We and people we know have certainly run into this. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/28/health/medicare-advantage-plans-report.html

Quoting from the report:

"In its review of 430 denials in June 2019, the inspector general’s office said that it had found repeated examples of care denials for medical services that coding experts and doctors reviewing the cases determined were medically necessary and should be covered.

Based on its finding that about 13 percent of the requests denied should have been covered under Medicare, the investigators estimated as many as 85,000 beneficiary requests for prior authorization of medical care were potentially improperly denied in 2019.

Advantage plans also refused to pay legitimate claims, according to the report. About 18 percent of payments were denied despite meeting Medicare coverage rules, an estimated 1.5 million payments for all of 2019. In some cases, plans ignored prior authorizations or other documentation necessary to support the payment.

These denials may delay or even prevent a Medicare Advantage beneficiary from getting needed care, said Rosemary Bartholomew, who led the team that worked on the report. Only a tiny fraction of patients or providers try to appeal these decisions, she said."

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
If you go with traditional Medicare, you really have to get a supplemental plan and it should be one that your doctors accept. And, as others here have pointed out, with a few exceptions, you really can't go from a Medicare Advantage plan back to a supplemental plan. Also there are many different levels of plans even within one supplemental insurance company so you have to figure that out.

But the kicker is that if you go with traditional Medicare, you have to buy a Plan D drug plan. It will fry your mind trying to figure out which drug plan to go with, so give yourself plenty of time to game through each plan with your list of drugs.

I have traditional Medicare and the AARP United Healthcare Supplemental and the AARP United Healthcare Plan D. The drug coverage does not make me happy. I often use Good Rx instead.

One more thing. The other day I found out there is such a thing as Medicare-Medicaid. Some people might want to look into that.

My final word -- Universal Healthcare. I won't live to see it but I'd like younger Americans not have to go through this malarkey.
(0)

Recent AARP article has lots of good comments at end. The comments raise questions/with some answers on: Medicare, Supplement Plans, Advantage Plans, etc. If you're an AARP member, you should get an email with an article titled:"8 Things Medicare Doesn't Cover." If you don't belong to AARP or the link below doesn't work, try googling the title of the article. This URL should work:
https://www.aarp.org/health/medicare-insurance/info-2018/services-not-covered.html?cmp=EMC-DSM-NLC-OTH-WBLTR-1309502-1597905-6393373-NA-052822-Webletter-MS1-8Things_MEDICARE-BTN-MCTRL-HealthHygiene&encparam=4kDGzelnd%2fs1Dhf2Mj4PAq3C5%2bTwJ7aq%2f0ZUv%2bzsv60%3d
(0)

Before my Mom passed in 2017 my Dads employer dropped the Etna the retirees had for years opting to allow $1400 a year towards their medical. She had to go thru a broker who was handling the insurance purchases for the Employer. They expected their retirees that were mostly in their 80s to understand how this all worked. Most had never heard of Networks. They were used to just showing their Medicare and Etna card and paying any balances there may have been.

So I did the research for Mom. She had traditional Medicare. She also had PADD a State prescription plan. I did not like Medicare Advantages then and still don't. I knew exactly what my Mom needed, Medigap because she already had her prescription plan. This was way back but I kept her within what the employer allowed 1200 a yr for the suppliment. The other $200 towards a dental plan. I did not get vision because it really did not cover much for the cost. And since her glass prescription didn't change that often, the money she would put out on Vision, would pay for a pair of new glasses when she needed them. Medigap is goid for people who travel. It goes from state to state. As said Medicaid Advantages don't.

I had a friend who needed surgery and a Medicare surgeon was within walking distance from her house. She had switched to a MA. They have a network of doctors you must use. The one MA wanted her to use was clear across the city. When open enrollment came around she switched back to traditional Medicare with a supplimental. I have said my daughter, ran a unit in a hospital, called me to make sure I did not have an MA. They were not paying her for bandages that Medicare does which they are suppose to. It was costing her patients out of pocket expenses.

Take note that MA commercials have changed, they are calling themselves Part C. Used to be "get your Medicare additional advantages you are not getting now" It was false advertising. Not saying that MA may work for some but for me, I rather pay out of pocket than have to be part of a network.
(0)

"It's just that if you want Medigap to go with that it will be costly (or potentially unavailable) if you're now a poor risk."

My question: can anyone elaborate on a "poor risk" means, with some examples?"

When you apply for a Medicare Supplement at the time you sign up for Medicare, there is no "medical underwriting". Everyone pays the same premium.

If you switch to a Medicare Advantage plan and drop Original Medicare and then want to switch back, the Insurance Company providing the supplemental policy submits your health history for Medical Underwriting. So if you've developed diabetes or cancer, your premiums will be sky high.
(1)

A few more comments. JoAnn29: I don't know if you're referring to my post about "downloading" the comments on this NYT article. Actually, "downloading" may sound a bit too technical (my term/my error) when actually all I did was copy/paste the comments I was interested in to a Word document I then saved.

I have a couple of other comments/questions myself now that I've slept on what I wrote:

no. 1: I noted above that many if not most of the comments on the New York Times article seem to believe that Advantage Plans are too untrustworthy/too many denials, etc. and these comments recommend Original Medicare combined with a Medigap (aka Supplement Plan) as your best choice. But others on this forum and elsewhere have weighed in stating that these latter plans are too expensive for many if not most seniors, perhaps averaging about an extra $300 a month (rough estimate there). People who read the New York Times regularly enough to comment on the article may be in an upper income bracket, so yes, this may be the best choice for them. I live in a Senior Retirement residence and I do have to say that most of the residents I've met have an Advantage Plan.

no.2: As for this comment above: "note that you can always revert to Original Medicare from an Advantage plan, however. It's just that if you want Medigap to go with that it will be costly (or potentially unavailable) if you're now a poor risk."

My question: can anyone elaborate on a "poor risk" means, with some examples?

Thanks!
(0)

Keep in mind that IF you want a Medigap policy (which you can NOT combine with Advantage, only with Original) the best time to get it is when you first become eligible for Medicare.

For if you try to get it later it will cost significantly more, and Medigap insurers can then refuse you altogether.

Also, Advantage plans are local: if you move you'll need to get a new plan or revert to Original Medicare.

note that you can always revert to Original Medicare from an Advantage plan, however. It's just that if you want Medigap to go with that it will be costly (or potentially unavailable) if you're now a poor risk.
(0)

JoAnn29: Yes, the comments on the NYT article are well worth reading. I downloaded a lot of them. They actually give some information on specific plans that aren't good -- well, at least for certain people -- and then some other recommendations. The biggest "consensus" as far as I could see in the comments was that the "best" plan is Original Medicare (also called sometimes just Traditional Medicare) along with a Medigap Plan (also called I believe a "Supplement" Plan). These are just a couple of things that I've noticed though but which everyone would have to research depending on one's personal situation (age, finances, state of residence, etc.). The Medigap or Supplement Plans as I understand the way they work only cover what Medicare covers -- they "make up" the 20%. And from what I can see, it's hard to find one of these plans that also covers Dental, which is hugely expensive. I think -- again I'm no "expert" but I just happen to have looked into this recently -- you may have to get a Supplement to a Supplement to find a dental plan that is "ok" meaning it covers more than just an annual cleaning, which I'm hearing is what a lot of these "stand alone" insurance plans limit you to.
(0)

I just tried what someone suggested in downloading and it worked. There's a thread going where I typed out something I kept concerning insurance companies turning down.

https://www.agingcare.com/questions/ltc-medicaid-coverage-in-snf-474590.htm
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter