Follow

Just want to read some notes of the positive side of caregiving. I may end up being a full time caregiver at some point so I need a little pick-me-up and for anyone who wants to know about the positive experiences you had caring for a loved one.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
For me as hard as it was many days, knowing that my husband died knowing that he was loved and well cared for right up to the end, was worth it all. Before he became unconscious at the end, he kept repeating the words, "thank you," and "I'm sorry." I knew what the thank you was for, but when I asked him about why he was saying I'm sorry, I was able to figure out that he was sorry for everything he had put me through. I of course told him that he had nothing to be sorry about, and if given the chance, I would do it all over again for the man I loved.
(1)

From out of the dementia haze she said "If there were more daughters like you the world would be a much better place!" to which I replied, "If there were more mothers like you, there would be more daughters like me!" A moment that would have been taken for granted before becoming a caregiver.
If you can open your mind and listen with your heart, you will learn more about yourself than you ever thought possible. Blessings to you and yours...
(3)

I don't know how to respond to 1 person only here but I appreciate all the responses and some made me teary eyed. I have my mom living with me and so far she hasn't needed much care except when she first came to the home and when she fell a couple of times. If the diagnosis is correct she has Alzhiemers Dementia so I know the difficulty level will increase with time. I went through a sharp decline with my dad who was diagnosed with the same condition and he is no longer with us. If I could have done any of his caretaking over again I would like to give myself the perspective that nothing lasts, and it does change a lot. I am anticipating mom getting worse into the condition just need to try and pick myself up sometimes because even without me being here for her much right now when I am here more and more I will need some inspiration to keep me going. We have a lot of good and bad history and we like to sit and talk about our family and people we have loved and missed over the years. Thank you again for all the support and the personal stories are worth their weight in gold for me. My current inspiration is a very sweet lady who I work with and who still cares for her mom with her sister and a provider and she shares her story that gives me some comfort that I can do what I can and seek help when I am unable to do more, anyone who does 24/7 care deserve a high honor medal in my opinion. God bless.
(2)

Being the security blanket, the shield in an uncaring world. Having a noble purpose. Rewards of smiles and compassion, understandings that cannot be relayed with words.
Occasional trips into the absurd...might as well enjoy them.
(2)

On the good days - knowing she is safe and loved. Mom and I have always been close - I would have told you 3 years ago I knew everything about her - but I have learned even more. Some were wonderful to learn and some were hard to learn - but in the end no matter what - no matter how tired I am - I know I give my best every day and I know mom knows that as well💕 (even on the days I may not actually be my best - we both know I did my best) just as she did as a mother. Nobody is perfect but there is something to say about giving to another human being - I’m proud that I am my mothers daughter and I’m proud that I am the person I always said I was.
Our lives are changed and many days are hard or exhausting - actually BEYOND exhausting but I do know wherever this journey leads ….I have done my best for my Mom.
(3)

I have my dad’s stories, life experiences where he grew and shaped his character, his jokes, and a wealth of memories that being me smiles. I wouldn’t have had all this without helping as a caregiver, and it is priceless to me
(4)

My biggest piece of advice is know, understand and honor your limits and boundaries up front. Discuss these things upfront so there are no surprises.

Something positive is spending time with your L/O in their final years and growing your bond deeper.

I don’t know your situation but it’s important to not get yourself involved in a toxic caregiving relationship. It will break your heart mental health.

Best of luck on your future journey
(3)

I have been caring for my 98 year old mother for over twenty years. Although caregiving is difficult and stressful at times. It has been twenty wonderful years with my elderly mother. We have always been very close. I am honered to care for such a kind and considerate woman. We traveled the last twenty years with my mom and family. I wound not trade those special times for anything.I learned so much from taking care of my mother. I became more patient as a person, more prayful, a good cook, neat, organized and so many other things. I am more sensitive to the needs of others especially our elder population. I became pretty tough when it comes to speaking up on behalf of my mother and others as well and being less sensitive to what others think of me. I did things around the house I never in a million years thought I woulde ever do like putting in a new toilet, painting interior walls, driving in a microburt and stopping at the nearest house for safety for the sake of my mother. I brought pureed food to a restaurant after checking if it was ok, I got up in front of lots of people on a cruise to dance with my mother in a w/c and seeing a big smile on her face not caring what others think. Life has been good to us and I am grateful each and every day. My mother will be 100 next year and grateful I had her this long. These years flew by. I started taking care of my mom at 45 and now I am 67. We did a lot of laughing mom and family throughout the years. I remember walking my mom with my niece with her walker and she stared whinning softly. I realized her pants were down to her feet and we forgot to pull them up for her. We all laughted and told my mother what nitwits she has taking care of her. She has such a good sence of humor which makes it easier to take care of her. Always a thank you or please and compliments about the care we give her. I could go on but these of some of the things that make it worthwhile to care for my dear sweet mother.
(4)

Who are you a caregiver for ( a relationship), and what are the circumstances of your caregiving, i.e., the patient's diagnosis? That's info your profile can provide. Every caregiving experience is different, what's yours?
(1)

Positive note - you are taking care of a loved one & giving them the best life they deserve. I am the 24/7 caretaker for my mother who has Alzheimers. Just could not put her in a home with strangers. Granted - there are days when I just want to run away - that's when you take a breather & get some outside help for a few hours. Good luck!
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter