Follow

I wrote a few days ago that I would find the patterns for masks that I've seen on various sites. Rather than locate that thread and co-mingle topics, I'm just starting a separate thread, as I don't recall how many times and on how many threads I may have promised to find sources.

These are URLs and various masks. Something to bear in mind is that only two of the sources is that of medical personnel making masks.

However, I'm not sure if the masks meet medical standards.

I've been told by my medical relative that the masks I wear, the common ones purchased in pharmacies, aren't fully protective and while they won't hurt, they shouldn't be considered to be completely reliable. And they may and probably are NOT medical grade.

1. Nurses making masks, not medical grade:

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/nurses-making-homemade-masks-to-help-with-protective-gear-shortage/2242927/

2. Surgeon making masks, also not medical grade, and with the caveat that they don't offer full protection.

https://www.drstreicher.com/dr-streicher-blog/2020/3/a-surgeon-sewing-a-surgical-mask

3. Photos linked to Dr. Streicher's site:

https://www.drstreicher.com/dr-streicher-blog/2020/3/medicalmaskforce

In the section of completed masks, look at the pinkish colored mask on the left side in the second row. The top has so much gap that, based on what a nurse told me, this wouldn't provide good protection. It would have to be tightened or worn underneath an N-95 mask, and even then its protective use might be questionable.

3. Various other patterns for masks:

Olson mask: https://www.regmedctr.org/webres/File/OlsonMask_wPattern_v3-USE%20THIS%20ONE.pdf

Best materials, no patterns:

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-face-mask-virus/

4. Donation sites: https://getusppe.org/give/

Last evening, one of the news channels interviewed a man who's using his business to make masks. At one point he acknowledged that they don't provide complete, closed protection, but he felt that the knowledge that someone is wearing a mask would be helpful. I was stunned.

I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist of his confession that these masks are not up to medical standards, and may not offer the protection desired. I felt that they were just what I'd call panacea masks.

At this point I'm not considering making any of them w/o figuring out a way to tighten the tops for better closure, and that might include elastic, or a drawstring in the top hem.

Just FYI....

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
CM, you raised an absolutely critical, insightful point that I hadn't considered:  quality control.   That says it all.   Excellent observation.
(0)

Garden it isn't that I don't admire such a tremendously supportive effort, but this is not going to work. You don't have the means of applying any kind of quality control; and if they can't trust the mask they just can't use it.

Production is being upped, the masks will be shipped. It's just cold sweats all round for the next few days, like being about to run out of gas - you know you almost certainly will make the last few miles to the station, *especially* if you don't drive too fast, but the temptation to put your foot down and get it over with is almost overwhelming.
(0)

CM,  you raise a valid point on the issue of making masks to surgical standards.   I was considering making them for that purpose, to send to my niece to share with her fellow nurses and doctors, who do need the higher standards.   She a few days ago they ran out of masks and gowns.  

I could easily use the pharmacy grade masks and use medical tape to keep them from allowing anything to penetrate around the sides.
(0)

Tim Cook of Apple is donating 100,000 masks to Louisiana. We are grateful to him.

Drew Brees and his wife, our Saints quarterback is donating $5 million dollars to Louisiana to help support part of a relief effort program to feed families in this coronavirus crisis.

Those are great ideas, GA

We are facing a ventilator shortage at the moment.
(1)

There are a lot of groups sewing masks, seemingly some hospitals are even asking for them, but like you I can't quite understand the value of them if they aren't effective at stopping a virus. I've read that some health care workers are wearing them over their N-95 masks to make them last longer, but that doesn't really make sense to me either.
(1)

What is the protection desired?

I'm in the 'every little helps' camp. I have nothing against people wearing masks if it makes them feel better. Even the lady with the breakfast cereal box over her head, bless her - as a physical barrier between her and at least some of others people's exhaled breath, you can't say the box is altogether worthless (also, most amusing, which is something we can all benefit from).

But there is a degree of the law of diminishing returns at play here. Don't go out if you don't need to. If you must, stay at least six feet away from individuals you don't live with. Wash your hands, properly. Disinfect surfaces which come into frequent contact with bits of people, such as door handles. These things are useful and proportionate and will make a significant difference.

Making masks to surgical grade standards? Why, what on earth are you going to use them for? If their high performance could possibly make the slightest difference to you, you're standing far too close to someone and it would be much more sensible to step away and go back indoors.

The high grade masks are needed for the people who will be treating those who are sick. Paramedics, who have to go into their houses - where they have been sweating and coughing in a closed room for hours - and get them safely to hospital. Nurses, who have to transfer them from gurney to bed while the patient coughs uncontrollably. Doctors, who have to bend over the patient's head so that they can see to stick a tube down his open throat. They are at risk of infection. You are not, not if you're following advice.

I can't believe any forum member would... But just in case...

If you are stashing a supply of unused, unopened surgical masks for fear that - what, I don't know, something...

Please. Put them in a clean plastic bag and drop them off at your local hospital.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter